How things have changed!

Ozepete

USMC-Retired

The question is how many members socialize outside the forum together.  2010 and before everyone hung out then came back home to the forum.  Not sure if today its the same.  

• Like 3
baby43

I remember going back aroung 10 to 12 years ago walking through robinsons mall In Ramos or the circle i saw at least something like around 20 foriegners having coffee or eating, at the time I mentioned something here and was told it was members of this foruum having their monthly coffee does this still happen.

cookie47
9 minutes ago, USMC-Retired said:

The question is how many members socialize outside the forum together.  2010 and before everyone hung out then came back home to the forum.  Not sure if today its the same.  

I do, Ones a Canadian,the others are American. Cant find an Ozzie,(apart from on line).  I'll talk to anyone according to my wife.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
baby43

Most of the foriegners i have meet over in Cebu have been Americians, I did around 2 years said I be in Cebu asked anyone whould like to meet up for a drink ans I meet an American called Greg at the socail at IT  Park with my wife we had a great afternoon drinking some very nice food, also st Cebu airport on the way home this man said are you Australian, I said yes, he asked me where I lived , I told him you wont know where I live, haha I told him he laught he told me where he lived a bout 20 minutes from where I lived, I used to see him from time to time, however himself and his wife would work locally picking fruit for 8 months of year and spend rest of the year in the PHillipines they have build a big house there opened a sari sari store which he was proud of  how much turn over it had done his wife parents look after the sari sari store, also he told me he was building 2 accomodation places for paying visitors, his plans where to live there pernmantly on the Australian pension least he was planning for his future and his wife future, maybe they living there now seeing I have not seen him or heard from him. they the only australians I have meet there, sure thats a lie I meet one in the coffee loungue at 101 Horizon that was maybe 20 minutes., maybe its mainly Americans in Cebu maybe I can.He told me he wanted to seell his place here in Australia, I said to him be careful you may need a back out plan if some happens there in case you got to leave in a hurry, as many have said on this site always have a back up plan. least this site is full of valuble  in formation .

be corrected there.

• Like 1
to_dave007

Making good natured fun of those who speak "almost English" is rather a time honored sport.

Back in Toronto there was an older Scottish man who lived somewhere in my neighborhood though I never knew quite where.  He always walked his dog, a gorgeous Shetland Sheepdog..  a Sheltie.  He spoke with a very think Scottish accent., and I used to tease him..  'How's the English classes going"..  and the like. Alas..  the talk of him taking his dog for a walk..  changed over a couple of years to the dog taking him for a walk...  and then he just wasn't there any more.  RIP old timer.

I don't view such teasing as racist in nature.  Hope others don't.  Though it does seem rather unsporting at times..  a bit like shooting a tethered animal that's not capable to fight back.

LOL.. I kill myself.

Edited by to_dave007
  • Like 7
baby43

Even here in Australia you can move into a country town be there for 30 years and not considred to be local, you have to be born and breed in that town which can be hard seeing many imergrants here, in my country town in Queensland we have the biggest percentage per population of filipinos in Australia, the town I live in around roughly 8000 population.

• Like 1
Headshot
3 hours ago, USMC-Retired said:

Yeah, but as you well know, most forum social gatherings back then were organized by staff members. That doesn't happen anymore, so the social gathering don't happen either. With COVID around and all of the travel and gathering restrictions, I'm not sure what kind of attendance you would get anyway. I can't even go into any of the malls until the restrictions are lifted.

• Like 2
Even here in Australia you can move into a country town be there for 30 years and not considred to be local, you have to be born and breed in that town which can be hard seeing many imergrants here, in my country town in Queensland we have the biggest percentage per population of filipinos in Australia, the town I live in around roughly 8000 population.
Man ..if it wasn't for immigrants , virtually no country town in Oz would have a " local" doctor .

Sent from my Mi A2 Lite using Tapatalk

• Like 1
cookie47
On 9/4/2020 at 2:17 PM, baby43 said:

move into a country town

Yes some truth in this. When I retired and we went on the road full time we ended up in fairly remote outback town in Western Australia for what was to be nearly 18 months. At first we had the State of Victoria Plates.We struggled at first to interact with locals. As soon as we sold our Vic car and bought a Western Australian Plated vehicle,What a difference. Now we were locals.

• Like 1
Ozepete
16 minutes ago, cookie47 said:

Yes some truth in this. When I retired and we went on the road full time we ended up in fairly remote outback town in Western Australia for what was to be nearly 18 months. At first we had the State of Victoria Plates.We struggled at first to interact with locals. As soon as we sold our Vic car and bought a Western Australian Plated vehicle,What a difference. Now we were locals.

I tell ya what Cookie, if you still had Vic plates these days, you'd want to hide them for sure. The idiot running this state is not a popular pick, a total dickhead. 

• Like 2
cookie47
I tell ya what Cookie, if you still had Vic plates these days, you'd want to hide them for sure. The idiot running this state is not a popular pick, a total dickhead. 
Yeh,, I've got a few relos in the Western suburbs ,I'm keeping up with the news best I can. Im surprised someone hasn't given Commo Dan rule 303..

Sent from my M2003J15SC using Tapatalk

• Like 1