How things have changed!

Ozepete

Ozepete

Out of curiosity (and frustration) I did a LinC search back 10 years and wow what a difference.

No where near the bitterness, racism, hate, politics etc.  A breathe of fresh air to read 'normal' member posts and some of it about Cebu / The Phils!..  https://www.livingincebuforums.com/search/?q="june 2010"&updated_after=any&sortby=relevancy   

Is there some way we can get back there? 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Administrator
Salty Dog

One member already suspended (temporarily banned) for a political response.

Remember there is zero tolerance for political discussions on the open forum.

By the way, I've probably read more old threads and post than any current member. Many are atrocious and some have been hidden or removed because they were so vile.

1 hour ago, Ozepete said:

No where near the bitterness, racism, hate, politics etc

None of this is currently allowed on the open forum. It's only allowed in the CR. Members of the CR who don't want to read such stuff can simply choose not to read it, or they can ask to be removed from the CR.

Much of the activity in the years long past was more akin to the wild wild west. Some members were ruthless and took no prisoners. Paul banned members at will, often for just pissing him off.

1 hour ago, Ozepete said:

Try to answer this and stay within the forums rules and guidelines.  Good Luck...:biggrin_01:

to_dave007

For myself..  I try not to allow bitterness, racism, hate or politics to enter my posts.  I try not to be too negative.  Hope I'm doing ok.

I think the only way to "get back there" as OzePete suggests..  is by keeping it positive.. one person and one post at a time.

Having said that.. I don't really see a lot of racism and hate here.  Most members too mature for that.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Administrator
Salty Dog
3 minutes ago, to_dave007 said:

Having said that.. I don't really see a lot of racism and hate here.  Most members too mature for that.

Well you don't see much racism because Canuck isn't a race...:biggrin_01:

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
to_dave007
1 minute ago, Salty Dog said:

Well you don't see much racism because Canuck isn't a race...

lol..  you haven't been on the Toronto subway recently I assume.

Irenicus
2 hours ago, Salty Dog said:

Many are atrocious and some have been hidden or removed because they were so vile.

What?  You guys are hiding old posts????

SkyMan
5 hours ago, Ozepete said:

Out of curiosity (and frustration) I did a LinC search back 10 years and wow what a difference.

No where near the bitterness, racism, hate, politics etc.  A breathe of fresh air to read 'normal' member posts and some of it about Cebu / The Phils!..  https://www.livingincebuforums.com/search/?q="june 2010"&updated_after=any&sortby=relevancy   

Not quite sure here if you're looking for more or less bitterness, racism, hate, politics, erc.?

• Haha 2
mikewright

ow

7 hours ago, Ozepete said:

Wow, the more things change, the more they stay the same.

billy

Posted May 2, 2011

el gecko just has bad managment they had the customers but letting a filipina run your business is just plain stupid. they alienated all there customers... now they have to pay the piper

• Like 2
Chris24

My own sense it that the board is considerably more civil now than it was back then.   There were some large personalities with lots to share (much positive but some not) and apparent time on their hands to grind their various axes.  Still enjoyable in its own way, I had concluded overall that the main personalities would be an entertaining bunch to meet at a pub or some other arm's length setting.    We also had drama from people who had had their fallings out but still posted, and even an internet stalker targeting some of the large personalities.

Or it could just be that I simply take even less notice of BS than I did back then......   

• Like 3
cookie47
14 hours ago, to_dave007 said:

Well having just passed 18 months of membership. (and six months lurking) I cannot comment on "The Old Days"..However I hope my Ozzy/British joke's (which seems all I have to contribute at this time as being Seniors NOTHING is happening in our lives) don't offend, Although I think Salty is giving me a good run with Ozzie jokes.

• Like 5
baby43

Its funny how people love to poke fun at us aussies cookie, I can from New zealand to live here arounf 35 years ago even now after being here all that time I still get shit at me from Australian regarding my Kiwi heritage it never stops , I jst smile and chuckle at some of the cruel remarks,

I was here for 2 years I became an Australian citizen , i did the right thing I owned a house here , i was working paying taxes, I thought I do the right thing become a citizen, many come here including Kiwis dont become citizens.some been here 30 years plus still not citizens.

After I got my citizenship I found out my grandfather was born in bega Australia, I could had got citzenship by decent not go throught all the question you got to answer corect  about the history of Australia and the diferent levals of government etc.

• Like 5
Ozepete

Only 35 years in Oz and you expect us to adopt ya?  

Just takin' the piss baby but you know that's the Oz way, in fact if no ones having a crack at ya well then you are not accepted. Aussies take the piss out of each other and themselves, it's a sort of right of passage, but at least they cop it with a laugh and don't get all girly calling people Australia haters etc. Let em give you their best shot and wear it with pride, its just our way of sayin' you're one of us mate!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
cookie47

I was just about to reply but PETE said it all. However,,

Arriving As a 23 year old it was the best decision I could have made .I really would not know where I would be today if I'd stayed in North London.The thought of being able to go to Australia and then travel around south east Asia would be impossible to visualize growing up playing in the disused bomb shelter's and living in a two up two down in London. Yeah,,, the Australian banter can get you down particularly in the early days ,but you do realize EVENTUALLY that it is only banter.They soon shut up when England beats them at cricket (yes it's happened)...Also I DO think citizenship is a state of mind rather than a piece of paper hanging on the wall (as some do).Yes I got mine after a few years, can't remember the questions now.some people only take out/up citizenship for their benefits IMHO .I got a job within 3 days and was not out of work for 47 years.

Sent from my M2003J15SC using Tapatalk

• Like 5
cvgtpc1

In my opinion the PI hasn't changed much since I first encountered it in the mid 80s...except there's now malls and more women have tattoos.  You'd never see that back then.

• Like 1