Jump to content

Gunmen kill 9 motorcycle riders in southern Philippines


Recommended Posts

KID

Gunmen kill 9 motorcycle riders in southern Philippines

JIM GOMEZ

August 30, 2020, 8:15 AM CDT

Gunmen kill 9 motorcycle riders in southern Philippines

MANILA, Philippines (AP) — Gunmen blocked a group of motorcycle riders then opened fire with assault rifles in a busy downtown area in the southern Philippines, killing nine people, police said Sunday, in the latest violence to roil the volatile region.

Police officials said the attack on the victims, who were mostly farmers, at noon Saturday in Kabacan town in Cotabato province may have been sparked by a local feud and was likely not an act of terrorism.

Cotabato lies in a poverty-wracked region where a decades-long Muslim separatist insurgency has eased largely due to a 2014 peace deal between the Philippines’ largest Muslim rebel group and the government, although small armed groups aligned with the Islamic State group still pose a threat.

Most of the victims in Saturday's attack apparently did not know each other and were traveling on six motorcycles, some in tandems, when they were blocked by six to eight gunmen and ordered to alight. After getting off their motorcycles in the middle of the road, they were shot at least 39 times with rifles and pistols, police investigator Delir Parcon said by phone.

Eight of the victims were killed instantly and another died in a hospital, a police report said. The gunmen fled in a van. Police have interviewed witnesses and were looking for possible security camera footage that could help identify the attackers, police officials said.

“This isn’t likely terrorism,” Parcon said. “We’re looking at the angle of a local feud, a personal grudge.”

Former Muslim guerrillas who forged an autonomy deal with the government and are now overseeing a nearby Muslim autonomy region said they would help investigate the killings of the men, who were all Muslims.

“Such senseless violent acts have no place in a progressive society, especially at a time when people are in the grip of a pandemic,” they said in a statement.

The proliferation of large numbers of unlicensed firearms and other weapons, weak law enforcement in many rural areas and the presence of insurgent groups and powerful clans with private armies have combined to foster violence in the heartland of the southern Philippines and outlying island provinces. The region is the homeland of minority Muslims in the largely Roman Catholic nation.

Last Monday, two militant women detonated powerful bombs in separate suicide attacks that killed 15 people, including eight soldiers and a police commando, and wounded more than 70 others in southern Jolo town in Sulu province in the worst extremist attack in the country so far this year.

President Rodrigo Duterte flew to Jolo on Sunday under heavy security to meet the blast victims and their families.

The military blamed an Abu Sayyaf extremist commander, Mundi Sawadjaan, for plotting the midday suicide bombings, which also killed the two attackers. The attackers were local widows of Abu Sayyaf militants, according to the military, in what could be the first known suicide attacks by Filipino women extremists if their identities can be confirmed.

Army scout rangers battled about 30 Abu Sayyaf militants Saturday in the mountain jungles off Sulu’s Patikul town in clashes that killed a soldier and wounded seven others. Sawadjaan was believed to be with the militants but was not among the two who were killed in the fighting, regional military commander Maj. Gen. Corleto Vinluan told reporters.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/gunmen-kill-9-motorcycle-riders-131551272.html

 

  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
wondersailor

According to news sources, the last victim to die in the massacre made a deathbed decoration that it was the police who carried out the killings.

Link to post
Share on other sites
baby43

Please explain what's a deathbed decoration.

  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Kreole
3 hours ago, baby43 said:

Please explain what's a deathbed decoration.

I think it is pretty clear that the op meant to write "declaration".  However you spell it, this is very disturbing information that the police are the assassins.  The frequency of its occurrence in the RP is alarming, not to mention the world's highest murder rate of journalists and civil rights and eco advocates.  The only solution is to keep your head down and your mouth shut.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
Headshot

If I remember correctly, many of the suspected shooters in the Cotobato massacre several years ago were also police. When Mayor Tommy ran Cebu City the first time, many of those who were called vigilantes (actually assassins who went around eliminating anybody involved in the drug trade) were also known to be police by those in the neighborhoods where they operated. Also, the Davao Death Squads were said to be police too. This isn't at all unusual, and I'm not sure why anybody would be surprised (unless they haven't been around long enough to understand how things work here). If you piss off somebody in power here, you should know there will be severe penalties. the courts don't work in the Philippines, so extrajudicial methods are often used instead.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
RogerDuMond
7 hours ago, Kreole said:

I think it is pretty clear that the op meant to write "declaration".  However you spell it, this is very disturbing information that the police are the assassins.  The frequency of its occurrence in the RP is alarming, not to mention the world's highest murder rate of journalists and civil rights and eco advocates.  The only solution is to keep your head down and your mouth shut.

 

5 hours ago, Headshot said:

If I remember correctly, many of the suspected shooters in the Cotobato massacre several years ago were also police. When Mayor Tommy ran Cebu City the first time, many of those who were called vigilantes (actually assassins who went around eliminating anybody involved in the drug trade) were also known to be police by those in the neighborhoods where they operated. Also, the Davao Death Squads were said to be police too. This isn't at all unusual, and I'm not sure why anybody would be surprised (unless they haven't been around long enough to understand how things work here). If you piss off somebody in power here, you should know there will be severe penalties. the courts don't work in the Philippines, so extrajudicial methods are often used instead.

 How about posting some evidence to corroborate these ridiculous accusations.

  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
Davaoeno

Well said Sir!  Show us the proof!  Everyone in Davao knows that this is the safest city in the world and that the DDS just does not exist! All those dead people had heart failure  or were shot in self defense.

 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
wondersailor
36 minutes ago, Davaoeno said:

Well said Sir!  Show us the proof!  Everyone in Davao knows that this is the safest city in the world and that the DDS just does not exist! All those dead people had heart failure  or were shot in self defense.

 

Or a new Covid protection program? Guarantee that they will never succumb to the dreaded virus.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Kreole
11 minutes ago, wondersailor said:

Or a new Covid protection program? Guarantee that they will never succumb to the dreaded virus.

Thank you for the comforting words.

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
smokey

    one year i heard 186 went to meet their maker back in 2007 i think my wife went to tabnook every wed  veggies   one tuesday a  police friend came by and said dont go to tabnook this wed   that wed late the news said.2 shot at tabnook market this.noon time 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy and Guidelines. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..