Stonehenge is always an interesting subject...History Guy on Stonehenge

SkyMan

cookie47

I've learnt more from this presentation than anything previously and in such a short video . I've been many times. My sister lives 20 minutes away. There is a new and proper (well was new) visitors center that was not finished last time I was there. 

• Like 2
rfm010

Grandfather, a canadian pilot in the great war, trained near stonehenge late 1917 before shipping off to france.   Got pictures somewhere on another puter i'll see if i can post.

• Like 1
SkyMan
10 hours ago, cookie47 said:

I've learnt more from this presentation than anything previously and in such a short video . I've been many times. My sister lives 20 minutes away. There is a new and proper (well was new) visitors center that was not finished last time I was there. 

I didn't know it was actually pre-druidic.  Not sure how they know that (because I'm not sure how they know the time frame of the druids) but it's interesting.

• Like 1
Headshot
3 hours ago, SkyMan said:

I didn't know it was actually pre-druidic.  Not sure how they know that (because I'm not sure how they know the time frame of the druids) but it's interesting.

Well, Druids were a Celtic religious group, and the Celts hadn't yet arrived in Britain when Stonehenge (and the many other henges in Britain) were erected. That might be a clue. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I can remember my first visit there in the 1950s when I would have been maybe 8 years old. The site was open access and we climbed on some of the stones! Not any more! My wife and me always make a point of driving past Stonehenge whenever we are staying with my brother who lives not too far away. Last time was early 2019 and we drive down from Heathrow and tried to get to Salisbury Plain for the sunrise but were a bit late. Great view anyhow and no traffic at all.

• Like 1

As @PeteHK I also climbed on the stones at an early age. The current experience of walking around it (mostly at some distance) doesn’t really give the same feel. 

rfm010

well i threatened to do it and demand has been overwhelming so here is the one picture i was able to dig up of actual stonehenge.  somewhere there are more along with scans of gramps' diary and some cool crashed planes and such but i can't locate them at the moment.   i am including a few extra shots from the area for those who have been there, and one of the turnberry lighthouse which isnt from there at all but gramps went there later while convalescing after getting shot down in france (perhaps a bit more training was in order?).  not sure why the picture was placed with the lake down/salisbury/old sarum/stonehenge group.  nowadays the lighthouse is surrounded by a golf course that some fool put up.  if it had been there then gramps would have played a round.  he loved the game even if it didn't love him.

15807697_img394stonehengecropped.thumb.jpg.6a743ce3251bd534e331ff061ad5a395.jpg

interestingly, although cropped out when i scanned the picture, the second line under "stonehenge" said "under constr.".  not sure what he meant by that. 

apparently the druids had some fancy digs...

1018863142_img394druidslodgecropped.thumb.jpg.493e59896afe9dab46de56a1c19ff171.jpg

i include the following for those familiar with the area (and cuz i think they're kind of cool).  apparently a lot of people there don't realize there were airbases there back in the day.  none of the crashes were gramps'.  his came later in france. 

367330706_img389re8lakedowncropped.thumb.jpg.3fd732dfcaff88ea76a0b918ee70d5e8.jpg

177365526_img389dh6oldsarumcropped.thumb.jpg.a4071406d76670bbed3f3eaa9c39ef2a.jpg

below is from a windstorm december 1917.  according to gramps' diary the windstorm took out over 40 planes and several hangars, and they had to relocate to another nearby airfield.  i forget the details without the diary.  strangely, i was once in communication with some brits who were running a website dedicated to the airbases in the area and they had no idea about the storm.  they were excited to hear about it though.  it seems the history there has not been so well documented.

181058735_img385lakedownwindstormacropped.thumb.jpg.26fa40ca7d7044c24d0bc9d51cc7a5af.jpg

thought i'd throw this one in for the aussies.  does anybody know this guy?

1238131872_img395ltcoghlancropped.thumb.jpg.06365b749851f0b0e6f0cd1bfe5f2b9f.jpg

looking across turnberry golf resort.

282884154_img396turnberry.thumb.jpg.8c06789962b054a158c5e9169dd6d7da.jpg

• Like 2

I was stationed at Old Sarum in about 1977. It looked quite similar to the pic above!😀

It was mostly an Army camp at the time but the Air Cadets had a gliding operation there too.