Expired USA Passport

menehune

Ok so this is most ive had to do. Got visa extention at the start of covid. Told the the Bi i needed to get my passport renewed but heard US Embassy was closed down. He said dont worry nothing you can do. So expired passport and US Embassy reopened in Manila and can mail in for renewal. Big problem need to get a demand draft from the bank and tried many banks, even using others with dollar account. Found out out that you have to have a US dollar account under your own name. They cannot open an account under tourist visa. And even cant give you a draft with dollars and no account cause their systen wont allow. Called embassy many times asking what to do. Very nice lady. But could not give her name for reference.  So final is just have to wait till embassy reopens in Cebu and make an appointment. Can pay penatly or explain for visa extention.

Sir nothing else you can do if you dont need it so badly. Haha gotta love it.

• Administrator
Salty Dog

You normally have up to 5 years to renew an expired US Passport by mail. No penalty for late renewal. May be different when you're outside the US though...

menehune
Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, Salty Dog said:

You have up to 5 years to renew your US Passport by mail after it expires. No penalty for late renewal. May be different when you're outside the US though...

But i still have till oct for my visa extension to expire. At least i still have time. But they said they dont know how long ot would take to get back the passport on renewal. I will just have to hope the Bi will do a visa extension on an expired passport.

Edited by menehune
BossHog

The chances of getting a visa extension on an expired passport are basically zero.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
SkyMan
7 hours ago, menehune said:

But i still have till oct for my visa extension to expire. At least i still have time. But they said they dont know how long ot would take to get back the passport on renewal. I will just have to hope the Bi will do a visa extension on an expired passport.

Do you have someone in the US you can send it in for you, then send it back to you? It must go in via USPS but you can pay by check or money order. That's about the only way I see you getting it in time for the extension unless the Consulate opens or you are able to get the bank check or you go to Manila. Sending it to a friend or relative would be your best shot. 

Also to note, regular passport channels in the US are backed up too.

I would resign myself to the likelihood you will not be able to extend on time.  It's not the end of the world. First check with the BI. I recommend asking the main BI on their fb page. Explain your situation and ask for guidance. 

Edited by SkyMan
menehune

Many can do it for me back in the states. But that could be worse with all that going on back there. And also maybe costs more then just paying a fine. And i did hear something about passports back up there also and not printing. And im not getting stuck in Manila at this time. So i am on file at this time. I will try to find out anything  i can at the Bi here, have some friends that work in the bi. That i will try to get a hold of. But i still have time. Like the lady at the consulate said yes try to talk to them and let them know the situation. That they can call the consulate and know whats really going on. Or what if i just stay here illegally till they get it all cleared up. Like they keep saying covid. Nothing can be done. I dont need to go anywhere. :

Ps. and oh i hated going back to the states. Even with all my friends and family wanting me to stay longer. Everything about there is just not here. Well i do miss all the good food. But soo high priced.

Headshot

Don't wait until your passport expires to go to Lapu Lapu to get a visa extension (preferably 6-month). If you can do that, it will at least give you a little cushion.

• Like 1
menehune
Posted (edited)

It expired back in May thats why i was starting to do it before covid closed everything down. Thats why i have a couple months left to go on my visa.

Edited by menehune
SkyMan
15 minutes ago, menehune said:

It expired back in May thats why i was starting to do it before covid closed everything down. Thats why i have a couple months left to go on my visa.

So they let you extend beyond the expiration of your passport?  That's a good sign really.

to_dave007
11 minutes ago, SkyMan said:

So they let you extend beyond the expiration of your passport?  That's a good sign really.

My German friend went (to J-Mall with me) with passport that expired 1 day before we arrived there.. back in July.. and got 1 month extension during which he PLANNED to get to Manila and get updated German passport.  Then MECQ hit Manila.. and all flights cancelled and he could not make his embassy appointment in Manila.. so last week he went to J-Mall BI again.. and they were TOUGH on him..  "your passport is expired. you should NOT have got the 1 month we gave you last time..  we can do nothing for you.  YOUR responsibility to have valid passport..  we know COVID makes it tough.. and we don't care..  don't come back until you get your passport renewed".  They were pretty damn clear..  about the sequence you need to follow...

I DO sense that they are being tougher in August than they were in July... which does make sense... as the backlog of issues clears slowly.

Edited by to_dave007
  • Sad 1
SkyMan
10 minutes ago, to_dave007 said:

My German friend went (to J-Mall with me) with passport that expired 1 day before we arrived there.. back in July.. and got 1 month extension during which he PLANNED to get to Manila and get updated German passport.  Then MECQ hit Manila.. and all flights cancelled and he could not make his embassy appointment in Manila.. so last week he went to J-Mall BI again.. and they were TOUGH on him..  "your passport is expired. you should NOT have got the 1 month we gave you last time..  we can do nothing for you.  YOUR responsibility to have valid passport..  we know COVID makes it tough.. and we don't care..  don't come back until you get your passport renewed".  They were pretty damn clear..  about the sequence you need to follow...

I DO sense that they are being tougher in August than they were in July... which does make sense... as the backlog of issues clears slowly.

I guess technically their stance could be that all foreigners can leave so they can go back to their own countries and renew their passports.  THey might not be able to get back here but that's not their concern.

• Like 2
maximian
14 minutes ago, to_dave007 said:

I agree with the BI. If your passport was due to expire in July why was it not renewed at least 6 months before that date. 

to_dave007
7 minutes ago, maximian said:

I agree with the BI. If your passport was due to expire in July why was it not renewed at least 6 months before that date. 

He had appointment to get it renewed during the lockdown but flights and appointment got canceled when Manila got locked down.  Everything would have completed in time if not for COVID.  Easy to see in hindsight that it should have been done sooner.

Edited by to_dave007
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
maximian
Just now, to_dave007 said:

He had appointment to get it renewed during the lockdown but flights and appointment got canceled when Manila got locked down.  Everything would have completed in time if not for COVID.  Easy to see in hindsight that it should have been done sooner.

I always renew my passport at least 6 months before it is expired. With such a important document why leave it till the last couple of months.

More and more countries require you have at least 6 months on your passport before arrival, so i always stick to that rule. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Passport_validity

to_dave007
3 minutes ago, maximian said:

I always renew my passport at least 6 months before it is expired. With such a important document why leave it till the last couple of months.

More and more countries require you have at least 6 months on your passport before arrival, so i always stick to that rule. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Passport_validity

He LIVES here.. so never runs into the 6 month rule.  But I suppose the world would run more smoothly if everyone was perfect.

• Haha 2