mikewright

Fantastic news, if initial results are confirmed!

• Like 2
  • Replies 341
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DeedleNuts

• Dafey

• rfm010

• Salty Dog

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My wife feels the same way every time I try to have sex with her...

Posted Images

RogerDuMond
6 hours ago, SkyMan said:

Great, a vaccine that's 90% effective against a disease that is 99% hoax?

90% effective doesn't sound that great, but realize that the measles vaccine is only 90% effective and it has basically wiped out measles in the U.S.

• Like 3
Davaoeno

90% is fine with me !!   [ well just as long as I am one of the 90% that is !!!  :rofl: ]

• Haha 4
SkyMan
13 hours ago, RogerDuMond said:

90% effective doesn't sound that great, but realize that the measles vaccine is only 90% effective and it has basically wiped out measles in the U.S.

Well the disease itself has a 99% survival rate so would the 90% vaccine help the 99% who won't have a problem anyway? Or the 1% who are concerned with it?

• Like 2
RogerDuMond
2 hours ago, SkyMan said:

Well the disease itself has a 99% survival rate so would the 90% vaccine help the 99% who won't have a problem anyway? Or the 1% who are concerned with it?

From what I read, the vaccine actually helps those with active Covid.

What I need is information to someone I can pay to supply the correct document which makes me look as if I have had it.
10K sound fair?

Edited by fred42
  • Like 1
HongKongPhooey
On 11/11/2020 at 12:14 AM, Dutch said:

Better hope PH will stop waiting for sinovac, and switch to pfizer or whatever safe vaccines will be available soonest.

The Pfizer vaccines must be:

-stored in dry ice kept below 70C in a special coolers.

- the coolers should be repacked with dry ice within 24 hours of receipt of shipment (day 0), and repacked again every five days to maintain required temperature. On day 15, the vaccine should be moved into the refrigerator, stored at 2 degrees C to 8 degrees C and used within five days (120 hours)

- the doses can only be opened for a minute at time and not more than twice a day.

- any break in this chain renders the vaccine useless.

My personal opinion is that this won’t work for the Philippines. It’s complex and precise, with zero room for error. The Philippines does not do complex and precise well, and requires a lot of room for error.

Edited by HongKongPhooey
  • Like 2
1 hour ago, HongKongPhooey said:

The Pfizer vaccines must be:

-stored in dry ice kept below 70C in a special coolers.

- the coolers should be repacked with dry ice within 24 hours of receipt of shipment (day 0), and repacked again every five days to maintain required temperature. On day 15, the vaccine should be moved into the refrigerator, stored at 2 degrees C to 8 degrees C and used within five days (120 hours)

- the doses can only be opened for a minute at time and not more than twice a day.

- any break in this chain renders the vaccine useless.

My personal opinion is that this won’t work for the Philippines. It’s complex and precise, with zero room for error. The Philippines does not do complex and precise well, and requires a lot of room for error.

Good point, the wines I tried here all tasted like vinegar, so that doesn't bode well haha.

All the other vaccines will have similar requirements though, iirc johnson and johnson was -20c while moderna also requires -70c

Edited by Dutch
2 hours ago, HongKongPhooey said:

The INOVIO one is similar to the Pfizer.    Pfizer uses mRNA which is fragile to get DNA - INOVIO directly uses DNA which should be just as effective but not as fragile (from what I read)

But the Pfizer is the first mRNA that will likely be approved and this research will probably also lead to many other safer cures.

• Thanks 1
14 hours ago, Dutch said:

All the other vaccines will have similar requirements though, iirc johnson and johnson was -20c while moderna also requires -70c

mRNA vaccines tend to like to be kept cold.  Besides the pfizer (bioNtech to be fair does the science, pfizer mostly the manufacturing) vaccine, moderna has a mRNA vaccine (hence their stock symbol mrna) in trials and expectations are high for it.  There is also a smaller company the name escaping me now that just recently shown very intriguing earlier stage results (100% seroconversion in just a couple of weeks) with a mRNA candidate and i'm guessing they may have as good a product as any.  Then of course are the other roughly 10 non-mRNA vaccines being tested but they arent germaine to this discussion.  

The point is, to quote:  "Cryoport, Inc. provides temperature-controlled logistics and biostorage services to the life sciences industry in the Americas, Europe, the Middle East, Africa, and the Asia Pacific."

CYRX stock is up about 50% this week.

• Like 1

Addednum to the above which may in fact spoil cyrx's party.  The 3rd company is curevac, and the reason they caught my eye is they are claming to maintain viability at normal refridgerator temps.  The may be able to put a product to market early to mid 2021.  

Source for those who need such is my foggy memory.  I was reading about such yesterday when the power went off.  That typhoon hit parts of metromanila nasty hard.  

• Like 3
Swissrider
mRNA vaccines tend to like to be kept cold.  Besides the pfizer (bioNtech to be fair does the science, pfizer mostly the manufacturing) vaccine, moderna has a mRNA vaccine (hence their stock symbol mrna) in trials and expectations are high for it.  There is also a smaller company the name escaping me now that just recently shown very intriguing earlier stage results (100% seroconversion in just a couple of weeks) with a mRNA candidate and i'm guessing they may have as good a product as any.  Then of course are the other roughly 10 non-mRNA vaccines being tested but they arent germaine to this discussion.  
The point is, to quote:  "Cryoport, Inc. provides temperature-controlled logistics and biostorage services to the life sciences industry in the Americas, Europe, the Middle East, Africa, and the Asia Pacific."
CYRX stock is up about 50% this week.
Good to know. But I'm doubting if the Philippines can handle this logistic tasks. Switzerland having a top health system is worried already how this should work distribuing the vaccine to every corner of the (very small) country. It needs a lot of special freezers. Anyway, let's hope the best.

Gesendet von meinem SM-N950F mit Tapatalk

A_Simple_Man
5 hours ago, HongKongPhooey said:

-stored in dry ice kept below 70C in a special coolers

I have heard that before and I wonder:  How hard is that?  The daily temp never goes about high 30s C

• Haha 2
liquido
4 hours ago, Dutch said:

Actually Moderna requires -4f storage..One reason why I made a play for this stock..

Despite similar storage issues, Moderna is pursuing stability data showing its vaccine, mRNA-1273, can be stored at -4° Fahrenheit—which would be a big leg up over Pfizer's candidate. On a Wednesday call with investors, Moderna CTO Juan Andres said the -4° mark was a "very normal storage condition" comparable to home freezers. 

https://www.fiercepharma.com/manufacturing/pfizer-moderna-s-covid-19-shot-rollouts-could-be-ice-as-analysts-question-cold

BossHog
3 hours ago, Swissrider said:

Switzerland ... is worried already how this should work distributing the vaccine to every corner of the (very small) country.

Saint-Bernard.jpg.dd8b22cbe8ad73d54d86e26ba8a5d0f5.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 4