Jump to content

Recommended Posts

SkyMan

Is this true?  It's so sad.  How can anyone learn with this carp being pushed on them.

 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
KID
Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, SkyMan said:

Is this true?  It's so sad.  How can anyone learn with this carp being pushed on them

Damn, and in my head I just thought 35x10=350 and 35 x2 =70 then 350+70=420 but hey, I am just A uneducated deplorable :P

Edited by KID
  • Like 5
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SkyMan
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, KID said:

Damn, and in my head I just thought 35x10=350 and 35 x2 =70 then 350+70=420 but hey, I am just A uneducated deplorable :P

Exactly, the old way leads to being able to do it in your head.  The boxes and carp leads to confusion.  For 2 digit X 2 digit it's a 2X2 box but imagine doing that with a 5 digit X 5 digit problem.  25 freaking boxes.  How's someone supposed to keep track of all that?

I got dinged on a lot of math tests for not showing my work and just writing down the answer.  They would ask me how I got that and I would say, it's right isn't it?  There's no work involved.  I can't draw you what's going on in my brain.

Edited by SkyMan
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Edwin
Posted (edited)
33 minutes ago, SkyMan said:

 

I got dinged on a lot of math tests for not showing my work and just writing down the answer.  They would ask me how I got that and I would say, it's right isn't it?  There's no work involved.  I can't draw you what's going on in my brain.

The mind of a genius moves faster than his pencil.

 

 

Edited by Edwin
Spelling
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
KID

in elementary school I really struggled with fractions and percentages. My oldest sister realized I understood money real well and sat down with me with coins on a table  and that lifted the dark curtain from my eyes

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
lamoe

Helping one  of the kids in Bohol with his online fraction problems - he sent us the problems - I did them in head but Tata said "how you do that? but need to show him how" - OK - I was going to do a few and have him do the rest

First thing I said was said "let's find  the least common denominator" -  What's that? - Huston we's got a problem. He's a bright kid just needs better guidance  - so I sent him this - now he understands  - also dosen't know multiplication tables by rote - can do the math on paper just not in head.

https://www.calculatorsoup.com/calculators/math/lcd.php

image.png.0e59bbff82c0dcac709c48227694ddc3.png

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dafey

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
mikecon3

They've been teaching that way for at least the last 10 years...my daughter brought that mess home from school and asked me a question. My question to her was who was the idiot that showed her to do it that way? Of course, the teacher. I had no idea, never seen it before, and when I tried to explain "the old way", she kept telling me she had to do it the way they taught or she wouldn't get it right.

I guess there is a method to the madness, she has excelled in algebra and calculus, just doesn't understand negative numbers at the ATM!

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RogerDuMond
1 hour ago, mikecon3 said:

just doesn't understand negative numbers at the ATM!

Tell her to watch your wife at the store and then look at the checkbook.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jester

My wife gets confused with her studies,  because some of it makes no sense.  I tell her the problem is the teachers and administrators are educated way beyond their intelligence and continually need to prove how smart they are. The king has no clothes syndrome. 

Some of the crap is just plain dofus, teaching profession like politics seems to draw control freaks.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
HongKongPhooey
Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, lamoe said:

- also dosen't know multiplication tables by rote -

^ this here.

I ordered my boy a bunch of multiplication table workbooks.  My wife (who has a teaching degree) said, “these are no good for him to learn, they are all in order; he will just memorise them to get the answer.”

😐

Edited by HongKongPhooey
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Headshot
12 hours ago, HongKongPhooey said:

^ this here.

I ordered my boy a bunch of multiplication table workbooks.  My wife (who has a teaching degree) said, “these are no good for him to learn, they are all in order; he will just memorise them to get the answer.”

😐

The schools here tend to expect an understanding of math without actually teaching the principles. I worked with my daughter using multiplication and division flash cards until she no longer had to think about it to come up with the right answers. It is the only way you can master multiplication and division. I also created worksheets for working with decimals, percentages and fractions, as these also seem to be sticking points. It took her quite a while to master this, but she finally did, and now has no problems with basic math. What was her least favorite subject is now her favorite subject. Like she said to me, "What once seemed hard now seems easy. Everything is easy once you understand how to do it."

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SkyMan
13 hours ago, HongKongPhooey said:

^ this here.

I ordered my boy a bunch of multiplication table workbooks.  My wife (who has a teaching degree) said, “these are no good for him to learn, they are all in order; he will just memorise them to get the answer.”

😐

Yep, that's step 1.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kreole
Posted (edited)

I have never seen anything so stupid as the "new" math.  I believe the people who invented the new math are trying to reinvent the wheel with straight lines.  The time it takes to figure one problem, a child could have learned the multiplication table for one number.  Learning by rote makes simple math so much easier to grasp.  As one member has observed it would be near impossible to work out multiplication and division in one's head 

The order of the day is also about rewriting history and the worst is yet to come if they ever impose gender specific pronouns.  This is nothing less than dumbing down generations of children to grow up to be .....dumb adults, incapable of thinking for themselves!  I hope reincarnation is not at the end of my life.  I hate to think of being reincarnated into this insane world at this time in history.

Edited by Kreole
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
lamoe
8 hours ago, Kreole said:

I have never seen anything so stupid as the "new" math.  I believe the people who invented the new math are trying to reinvent the wheel with straight lines.  The time it takes to figure one problem, a child could have learned the multiplication table for one number.  Learning by rote makes simple math so much easier to grasp.  As one member has observed it would be near impossible to work out multiplication and division in one's head 

The order of the day is also about rewriting history and the worst is yet to come if they ever impose gender specific pronouns.  This is nothing less than dumbing down generations of children to grow up to be .....dumb adults, incapable of thinking for themselves!  I hope reincarnation is not at the end of my life.  I hate to think of being reincarnated into this insane world at this time in history.

Here's why it's changing - they assume everyone will be a theoretical physicist.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jordanshapiro/2014/07/24/5-things-you-need-to-know-about-the-future-of-math/#588c0544590e

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
lamoe

I know been covered before but I wonder in how many homes this is true and how many kids will be failed because they aren't doing it the way they're suppose to.

She works - no time for BS - if she takes after her dad that's not her printing

Took 4 edits to find all the errors:db:

image.thumb.png.f8b0634f07e557559670782d612f4bc2.png

Edited by lamoe
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kreole
3 hours ago, lamoe said:

I know been covered before but I wonder in how many homes this is true and how many kids will be failed because they aren't doing it the way they're suppose to.

She works - no time for BS - if she takes after her dad that's not her printing

Took 4 edits to find all the errors:db:

image.thumb.png.f8b0634f07e557559670782d612f4bc2.png

The simplicity of the "old math" is so intuitive while the so called new math is counter productive stretching out a very easy problem into complex bullshit.  I really wonder how they can justify this and for what exactly is it preparing them for?  I can only guess a dystopian future where 2+2=5.  We really are on our way there, at least western societies, and this scamdemic, scatter shot over reaction is just the beginning. 

BTW, a recent study concludes that either by the implementation or the lack of credible research, the goals of common core are actually having negative effects that seem to be amplifying over time.

https://www.chalkbeat.org/2019/4/29/21121004/nearly-a-decade-later-did-the-common-core-work-new-research-offers-clues

Edited by Kreole
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jester

I tell my wife she is being taught by people who are educated far beyond their intelligence and need to keep impressing everyone with just how smart they are.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SkyMan
1 hour ago, Kreole said:

2+2=5.

True.  (For very large values of 2.)

1 hour ago, Jester said:

I tell my wife she is being taught by people who are educated far beyond their intelligence and need to keep impressing everyone with just how smart they are.

I see this as quite correct actually.  Wasn't one of Deming's principles that a process can always be improved on?  I always disagreed with that because, while there may be some possible improvements, there are also diminishing returns to trying to find those improvements.  And, one first has to determine the definition of improvement.  While the old tried and true method is best for the majority, there may be some left out of understanding so apparently the definition of better, is a method no one can understand making everyone equal.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jester

Thanks for agreeing.   The wife is in school again and some of the questions she asks me are beyond me.  But sometimes when I look and realize they have used 5 pages of big words to explain something simple.   I was listening to her online class on how to format an essay,  it is shocking how they can complicate something so simple.   The guy took 30 minutes to confuse something that should have been done in 5!!  

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kreole
12 hours ago, SkyMan said:

True.  (For very large values of 2.)

 

let's just stick to 2.0 + 2.0 = 4

If you want to fudge, then 2.5 + 2.5 = 5

otherwise in what universe is 2 + 2 = 5 applicable?

Edited by Kreole

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SkyMan
14 hours ago, Kreole said:
 

let's just stick to 2.0 + 2.0 = 4

If you want to fudge, then 2.5 + 2.5 = 5

otherwise in what universe is 2 + 2 = 5 applicable?

Like COVID-19, some will get it and some have nothing to worry about. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Sailfish Bay Fishing Charters

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy and Guidelines. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..