13A entry on expired ACR-I card

SkyMan

Any 13As here have any experience entering the country after their ACR-I card expired?  I'm planning on leaving soon and my ACR-I card will expire soon afterwards.  I know there's no way the new card will get back in time if I renew it now.  I messaged the Main BI who said I should do the renewal and also get some waiver document to allow me to travel while the renewal is in process.  Then I messaged the same question to the JMall BI and they said to just depart on the current card.  I asked if there would be any problem returning on the then expired card and haven't received an answer.  I'm wondering if their setting me up for some late fees or whatever.  Anyone have any experience entering on an expired 13A ACR-I card?

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SkyMan

• Headshot

• smokey

• to_dave007

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You definitely don't want to try to re-enter with an expired ACR-I card. Under normal circumstances, they would let you re-enter, but only as a tourist. Then you have a couple of weeks to get in to BI

Headshot is correct, I've been through this too. My only variation was that J-mall processed the change back to 13a. It involved me writing a letter of explanation for failure to renew, and the J-mall

Just in case you didn't catch it, they are NOT currently allowing spouses and children of Philippine citizens to enter the country under the Balikbayan privilege. Therefore, the only option he would h

Posted Images

to_dave007

@SkyMan When you scheduled to fly out?

SkyMan
12 minutes ago, to_dave007 said:

@SkyMan When you scheduled to fly out?

End of the month.  Still not sure if it's going to happen but I have tickets.

Headshot
44 minutes ago, SkyMan said:

Anyone have any experience entering on an expired 13A ACR-I card?

You definitely don't want to try to re-enter with an expired ACR-I card. Under normal circumstances, they would let you re-enter, but only as a tourist. Then you have a couple of weeks to get in to BI and get your visa straightened out (part of which involves either going to the main BI office in Manila or traveling to another country and re-entering again with your new ACR-I card ... at which time you will be restamped as 13A). I can tell you that leaving and coming back is easier (and cheaper) than the trip to the main BI office in Manila. With COVID-19, however, they will just turn you around at the airport and send you back to your country of origin because you don't qualify under the current rules.

So, even if it means postponing your trip, don't go anywhere until you have renewed the ACR-I card. Back when I went through this, BI said that just having the receipt showing that you had renewed the ACR-I card would suffice as proof, but I'm not so sure under the current ever-changing rules. They are just looking for reasons to turn people around.

Edited by Headshot
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
to_dave007
4 minutes ago, Headshot said:

You definitely don't want to try to re-enter with an expired ACR-I card. Under normal circumstances, they would let you re-enter, but only as a tourist. Then you have a couple of weeks to get in to BI and get your visa straightened out (part of which involves either going to the main BI office in Manila or traveling to another country and re-entering again with your new ACR-I card ... at which time you will be restamped as 13A). I can tell you that leaving and coming back is easier (and cheaper) than the trip to the main BI office in Manila. With COVID-19, however, they will just turn you around at the airport and send you back to your country of origin because you don't qualify under the current rules.

So, even if it means postponing your trip, don't go anywhere until you have renewed the ACR-I card. Back when I went through this, BI said that just having the receipt showing that you had renewed the ACR-I card would suffice as proof, but I'm not so sure under the current ever-changing rules.

On the other hand..  just to be devils advocate..  with the ACR card having such a limited validity, there must be MANY times when persons (with all visa types) enter with expired ACR card.  Even now.. in COVID times.  I entered as Balikbayan once (pre-COVID), and I went to BI (Jmall) specifically to ask what I should do about my ACR card (expired) and they said "don't worry about t.. we already have your fingerprints".   BI has been clear that returnees must have right visa type..  but so far they seem silent on ACR validity. 

Anyway.. like I said..  just being devils advocate..  and no specific knowledge what the correct answer is.

SkyMan
1 hour ago, to_dave007 said:

On the other hand..  just to be devils advocate..  with the ACR card having such a limited validity, there must be MANY times when persons (with all visa types) enter with expired ACR card.  Even now.. in COVID times.  I entered as Balikbayan once (pre-COVID), and I went to BI (Jmall) specifically to ask what I should do about my ACR card (expired) and they said "don't worry about t.. we already have your fingerprints".   BI has been clear that returnees must have right visa type..  but so far they seem silent on ACR validity. 

Anyway.. like I said..  just being devils advocate..  and no specific knowledge what the correct answer is.

13A ACR-I cards are good for 5 years. 

• Thanks 2
trthebees

Headshot is correct, I've been through this too. My only variation was that J-mall processed the change back to 13a. It involved me writing a letter of explanation for failure to renew, and the J-mall boss writing a a letter of appeal, plus lots of photocopies of passport etc, and them sending the folder of it all off to the Manila head. Then waiting.

But under the present rules, as they can't give a tourist visa, I wouldn't risk an expired ACR card for re-entry and would renew it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
smokey

I did it. Drama central. Had to come back as tourist. Get BI at airport to remove that entry, reswipe as ACR, pay a fine, redo the process, and write letter.  AND I HAD HELP

• Thanks 2
MickyG

as you are married just come back in under balikbayan do not show ur 13 a  card. make sure you have the correct docs to get this done

smokey
Just now, MickyG said:

as you are married just come back in under balikbayan do not show ur 13 a  card. make sure you have the correct docs to get this done

i think that will mean no acr from then on

Headshot
1 hour ago, MickyG said:

Just in case you didn't catch it, they are NOT currently allowing spouses and children of Philippine citizens to enter the country under the Balikbayan privilege. Therefore, the only option he would have would be to get a 9A visa at a Philippine consulate or embassy in the US before flying back to the Philippines ... and then he would still have to jump through the BI hoops I mentioned before, if he wants to keep his 13A visa. If an airline allowed you to board without first having a valid visa, they would be responsible for flying you right back to your country of origin on their dime. Oh, and if you are entering on a 9A, you need to have an onward ticket as well.

What you mentioned would have worked before the pandemic (provided you were traveling with your wife), but not anymore.

• Like 3
MickyG
2 hours ago, smokey said:

i think that will mean no acr from then on

I doubt it as this would be resolved with a  new acr card for the next trip out.

I was unaware that balibayan had been suspended it must be the new lock down rules as the old rules did allow this method of transit as they wanted families re united.

Headshot
1 hour ago, MickyG said:

I doubt it as this would be resolved with a  new acr card for the next trip out.

Only if you travel out of the country (or otherwise resolve this) before the first entry visa expires. Once you pay to extend your 9A visa, your 13A visa is kaput. Therefore, you must do something quickly. The problem doesn't resolve itself over time.

fred42

I thought that the 13a visa was PERMANENT? 
The ACR card may have expired but how does it effect the actual visa validity?
Anyone know?

• Thanks 1
SkyMan
25 minutes ago, fred42 said:

I thought that the 13a visa was PERMANENT? 
The ACR card may have expired but how does it effect the actual visa validity?
Anyone know?

Well, the pat answer is because it's more fun in the Philippines.

2 hours ago, MickyG said:

I was unaware that balibayan had been suspended it must be the new lock down rules as the old rules did allow this method of transit as they wanted families re united.

Husbands children and parents can still come but they need to get a 9A tourist visa before coming and no 1 year visa on arrival.