Save Money by Saving Kuryente

SkyMan

I recently realized I had an electricity 'leak' when the regular bill suddenly doubled from the normal.  I had had suspicions for some time but couldn't track it down and just assumed that was normal use.  The sudden increase got me off my arse enough to track it down.  Some time ago my old dial Westinghouse meter had been replaced with a digital and I never paid much attention to the new one except to look at the top numbers to verify if they matched up with what VECO was charging me.  It didn't occur to me until recently that the bottom numbers were the instantaneous use.  This is a great tool to locate problems and even see if someone is borrowing your juice.  With an older dial meter you can still get a feel for your use by the spin of the main disk but you can only approximate it from, the rate.   I was able to track down my leak fairly quickly by turning off various breakers and eventually disconnecting a few wires before the culprit was found.  What I thought could be a very expensive fix turned out to cost me some electrical tape to wrap up a wire.

One thing I have always wondered about is the amount of E my well pump uses.  My water system is non-standard and I had it shipped from the US.  The pump in the bottom of my deep well provides all the pressure to my water lines.  Most of the time it does nothing but when it senses a surge, a small pressure tank about 5 gallons maintains the pressure a short time while the pump controller wakes up and spins the pump just enough to keep the pressure at the 60psi where I have it set.  Once the flow stops, the controller goes back to sleep.  My meter is a long way from my house so part of the search process was observing the meter and messaging my wife to turn various things on or off.  After the leak was repaired I again did a few tests like that and one was to have her flush the toilet.  The pump process is analog so to get a really accurate measurement you'd have to integrate the readings over the time but I'd guesstimate it costs about 15 centavos or less to do a flush.  I'm ok with that.

I did come to the realization that my coffee pot takes about 1KW to run so about p10 per hour.  I usually make a pot when I get up and turn it off when I pour out the pot so it's costing p30-40 per day and on days I make a second pot over p100 because I don't drink the second pot as fast.  Then there are days (not often) that I forget to turn it off  Yikes.  Quite an expensive habit when you also add in the cost of the coffee.  So, I have a Thermos coffee carafe on order from Lazada for about p800.  I figure it will pay for itself in a month or so.  You may want to do similar tests to see what you're really spending on fans, ACs, Electric stoves, etc.  Might surprise you.  While you may be ok with your current bill, you might be able to improve on that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
BossHog

After coffee is done brewing you always put it in a carafe or something. Otherwise it would be undrinkable within minutes. Why would you make a pot of coffee and then leave it on the burner for hours? Unless you're operating a rural gas station or something.

• Haha 2
Davaoeno

Now that I appreciate how much it costs to use a coffee pot I have instructed all the house staff to make coffee over a wood fire in the back yard !!

• Haha 2
Soupeod
13 hours ago, SkyMan said:

I recently realized I had an electricity 'leak' when the regular bill suddenly doubled from the normal.  I had had suspicions for some time but couldn't track it down and just assumed that was normal use.  The sudden increase got me off my arse enough to track it down.  Some time ago my old dial Westinghouse meter had been replaced with a digital and I never paid much attention to the new one except to look at the top numbers to verify if they matched up with what VECO was charging me.  It didn't occur to me until recently that the bottom numbers were the instantaneous use.  This is a great tool to locate problems and even see if someone is borrowing your juice.  With an older dial meter you can still get a feel for your use by the spin of the main disk but you can only approximate it from, the rate.   I was able to track down my leak fairly quickly by turning off various breakers and eventually disconnecting a few wires before the culprit was found.  What I thought could be a very expensive fix turned out to cost me some electrical tape to wrap up a wire.

One thing I have always wondered about is the amount of E my well pump uses.  My water system is non-standard and I had it shipped from the US.  The pump in the bottom of my deep well provides all the pressure to my water lines.  Most of the time it does nothing but when it senses a surge, a small pressure tank about 5 gallons maintains the pressure a short time while the pump controller wakes up and spins the pump just enough to keep the pressure at the 60psi where I have it set.  Once the flow stops, the controller goes back to sleep.  My meter is a long way from my house so part of the search process was observing the meter and messaging my wife to turn various things on or off.  After the leak was repaired I again did a few tests like that and one was to have her flush the toilet.  The pump process is analog so to get a really accurate measurement you'd have to integrate the readings over the time but I'd guesstimate it costs about 15 centavos or less to do a flush.  I'm ok with that.

I did come to the realization that my coffee pot takes about 1KW to run so about p10 per hour.  I usually make a pot when I get up and turn it off when I pour out the pot so it's costing p30-40 per day and on days I make a second pot over p100 because I don't drink the second pot as fast.  Then there are days (not often) that I forget to turn it off  Yikes.  Quite an expensive habit when you also add in the cost of the coffee.  So, I have a Thermos coffee carafe on order from Lazada for about p800.  I figure it will pay for itself in a month or so.  You may want to do similar tests to see what you're really spending on fans, ACs, Electric stoves, etc.  Might surprise you.  While you may be ok with your current bill, you might be able to improve on that.

I use Nescafe 3-1 and hot water off my 5 gal jug of purified water. Cheap!

SkyMan
19 hours ago, BossHog said:

undrinkable within minutes.

We have different standards.

6 hours ago, Soupeod said:

I use Nescafe 3-1

We have different standards too.  

6 hours ago, Soupeod said:

and hot water off my 5 gal jug of purified water. Cheap!

Keeping water hot 24/7 is cheap?