Short Circuit Refrigerator?

SkyMan

Is there a reason a ref would appear to be a short circuit?  A coffee pot, iron, or other heating element would test as a short circuit but would a ref ever?  I am trying to locate an electricity leak and when I put my Fluke meter on the plug of my caretaker's ref which isn't that old, not plugged into power, it reads 0 ohms.  Is that possibly normal?

mikecon3

Just checked mine...on my Maytag, between line and neutral, reads in the megohms. On my Samsung, reads 4 ohms. So yes, I guess it is possible. We sure are going to miss Woolf, he would have an answer!

• Like 1
SkyMan
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, mikecon3 said:

Just checked mine...on my Maytag, between line and neutral, reads in the megohms. On my Samsung, reads 4 ohms. So yes, I guess it is possible. We sure are going to miss Woolf, he would have an answer!

Yeah, checked my new and old refs.  Same result.  New ref - no connection, old ref, short.

Edited by SkyMan
  • Like 1
Daddle

The meter measures DC resistance. It is entirely possible that the AC will not "see" the DC short circuit but rather the reactance of an inductive device such as a motor.  In other words, your measurement doesn't indicate much without knowing more about the device.

It also depends if the thermostat control is commanding ON or OFF.

The DC resistance and AC "resistance" in things such as simple heaters and old-fashioned lightbulbs is nearly equal.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1