cookie47

https://www.motor1.com/news/437248/mclaren-620r-smuggle-philippines-seized/

Someone Smuggles Rare McLaren 620R Into Manila By Calling It A Cayman

AUG 03, 2020 at 7:10PM

By: Jacob Oliva

And it was caught red-handed by the authorities.

At the end of 2019, before the dreadful decade started, McLaren gave birth to a rare subspecies of the 570S – the 620R. Only 350 units of the road-legal race car will ever be built and one of them made its way to the Philippines, albeit, illegally.

As reported by the country's Bureau of Customs, the limited-run McLaren 620R was caught red-handed at the Port of Manila. Worse, the special supercar was declared as a Porsche Cayman to avoid inevitable taxes.

Gallery: 2020 McLaren 620R

11 Photos

In a social media post by the Philippine Bureau of Customs, the McLaren 620R was supposed to arrive in Manila on July 16, 2020 and was apprehended by the authorities on August 3. It was supposed to be locally valued at P33-million or around $672,080 at the current exchange rates, with corresponding duties and taxes of P16.8-million ($342,000). Of note, the Mclaren 620R has a $299,000 starting price tag in the U.S.

Moreover, the Philippine Bureau of Customs noted that the importer only declared P1.5-million ($30,550) worth of taxes with this shipment, therefore evading around 90 percent of the total dues.

I hope they don't crush it, They can park it at my place. Picture at link 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
SkyMan

Someone reading that is not very happy. I imagine they could contact the registered owner and find out if it was stolen but I imagine it will be scrap soon.

Edited by SkyMan
  • Like 1
rfm010

So the owner is probably out roughly 300k based on the us price being an estimate of what he actually paid.  But he saved 342k of taxes that he owed based on philippine valuation of the car.  So an overall profit of 42k or 14%.   Takes money to make money.  

• Haha 1
mikecon3

It does seem a waste to scrap it. With a government hurting for cash, you'd think they would find a way to auction off these vehicles...if not in the Philippines, then internationally. I get they are trying to make a point, but as the saying goes, "they're cutting off their nose to spite their face"! I'm sure they could find a buyer somewhere in the world that would pay the sticker price, if not more, for that McLaren. Sure could feed a lot of people with $300k.

• Like 4
lamoe

I wonder how they knew? Sorry  - cookie47 -  forgot to include :sarcasm:

image.thumb.png.bfae9ebae6dc1dfffe2624dc32bda991.png

Edited by lamoe
  • Like 2
cookie47
I wonder how they knew?
spacer.png

Maybe they didn't??.

Might have been a bit of good luck.

The article implied that the paperwork indicated a Cayman.

I'm guessing that maybe a standard check of the containers content found.

"O dear,, this is not a Cayman...

Sent from my MI MAX using Tapatalk

• Haha 1
cookie47
I wonder how they knew? Sorry  - cookie47 -  forgot to include :sarcasm:
spacer.png

That's OK,,,

Sent from my MI MAX using Tapatalk