raytech

Explosion in Beirut

raytech
Posted (edited)

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/04/world/middleeast/beirut-explosion-blast.html

At least 78 people were killed and 4,000 injured, the health ministry said.

Lebanon’s health ministry said that at least 78 people had died and 4,000 suffered injuries in the explosions and fire that shook Beirut on Tuesday.

The numbers climbed steadily through the day, and with the wounded still streaming into hospitals and the search for missing people underway, they were likely to go higher still.

The secretary-general of the Kataeb political party, Nizar Najarian, was killed in the blast, and among those injured was Kamal Hayek, the chairman of the state-owned electricity company, who was in critical condition, the news agency reported.

Edited by Dafey
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

BossHog

Court ruling in Netherlands on Friday. Yeah.

Sent from my KFDOWI using Tapatalk

lamoe

At first assumed was a terrorist attack - still might be?

SkyMan

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Headshot
9 hours ago, lamoe said:

At first assumed was a terrorist attack - still might be?

More likely a bomb or rocket factory. One report said it might have been an ammunition warehouse, but that explosion had to be tons of high explosives.

• Like 1

mikewright
Posted (edited)

It's being reported 2,750 tons of ammonium nitrate had been confiscated from a ship six years ago and had been stored at the port ever since :sad_01:.

Ammonium nitrate stored in a warehouse is being linked to the explosion

From CNN's Helen Regan, Tamara Qiblawi, Ghazi Balkiz and Ben Wedeman

A warehouse storing thousands of tons of unsecured highly explosive material has emerged as a possible source of the massive blast that ripped through the Lebanese capital on Tuesday, killing at least 80 people, injuring 4,000 and sending a shock wave across the city that damaged buildings and blew out windows up to 10 kilometers (6 miles) away.

Lebanon's Prime Minister Hassan Diab said that 2,750 metric tons of ammonium nitrate, which is typically used as an agricultural fertilizer, had been stored for six years at a port warehouse without safety measures, "endangering the safety of citizens," according to a statement.

It's still not exactly clear what led to the ignition that wiped out entire streets across the seaside capital.

Initial reports in state media blamed the blast on a major fire at a firecrackers warehouse near the port, that likely spread to nearby buildings. However, the Prime Minister's account appeared to be backed by Lebanon's General Security chief Abbas Ibrahim, who said a "highly explosive material" had been confiscated years earlier and stored in the warehouse, just minutes' walk from Beirut's shopping and nightlife districts.

As Beirut's 4 million residents wake to the full horror and scale of the damage to their city, lives, and livelihoods, questions will be asked about why such large quantities of the dangerous chemical were allowed to be stored in the middle of the city without adequate safety measures, and who is responsible.

Edited by mikewright
  • Thanks 1

SkyMan
1 hour ago, mikewright said:

It's still not exactly clear what led to the ignition that wiped out entire streets across the seaside capital.

The stuff probably becomes less stable over time and possibly combusted spontaneously like a collection of oily rags.

• Like 1

mikecon3

From this angle, you can see the fire is all ready underway, and what looks like small explosions or flashes (fireworks?), before the main blast.

RogerDuMond
6 hours ago, Headshot said:

More likely a bomb or rocket factory. One report said it might have been an ammunition warehouse, but that explosion had to be tons of high explosives.

The report that I saw, said that it was a fireworks factory.

rfm010

Heard talking heads on cnn ( yeah, that's right) who seem to have credentials with stuff that goes boom say that while there may have been some ammonium in storage this would have been mostly something else.  Also feels we arent likely to ever know for sure, if an accident nobody will admit to it and if intentional nobody will cop to it as it will create more enemies than friends.  So we are in a classic condition for conspiracy theories.  I've no doubt the locals have all the best ones but can start with explosives hidden in containers all stored in that old warehouse where the nitrate is stored.  Make a small boom to attract attention and draw people to it or their windows to watch.  Then make a big boom.  Motive?   Feck it, it's beirut.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

to_dave007
Posted (edited)

Regardless how it happened, it left a bomb crater about 120 meters across, now filled with water.  I'm not a bomb expert, but a 120 meter crater seems like a rather large bomb.

The first image is google maps image of the pier, with crater location marked.  The present day photo's show the crater.  Use the grain elevator and the big warehouse near the end of the pier for reference. The warehouse where the bomb went off is completely gone.  If there was any ships moored next to that warehouse, they are also "gone".

1450628767_googlemaps.jpg.2fb62b065c9c2e699eea286b39634092.jpg

crater2.jpg.8c23b240f3a250863d2d2f31b8d5d97c.jpg

crater.jpg.c8abb15fd0dc998ca51f6745f2160c0e.jpg

Edited by to_dave007
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

mikecon3

As a reference, McVeigh used 2 tons of ammonium nitrate in his device that blew up the Federal building in Oklahoma City...they said 2750 tons were stored in that warehouse. I would think that if that much actually detonated, it would make a hole that big. No expert on the subject, and as others have stated, we may never know the real answer...lots of shady things go on here in the Middle East.

• Like 3

SkyMan

I didn't think that large building to the left was even going to be there at all afterwards. You can see it literally break in the blast. It will be torn down for sure but it's amazing it is standing at all.

image.thumb.png.09da1397603d4dddcfb9b65a27f2e072.png

to_dave007
50 minutes ago, SkyMan said:

I didn't think that large building to the left was even going to be there at all afterwards. You can see it literally break in the blast. It will be torn down for sure but it's amazing it is standing at all.

Do you mean the tall building?  It's a grain elevator, and I suspect it was full at te time of the blast judging by the color and shape of the debris that slumped towards the blast (looks like grain). If I'm right, it means there was one HELL of a lot of mass in the elevator that needed to be moved by the blast.

• Like 1

SkyMan
6 hours ago, RogerDuMond said:

The report that I saw, said that it was a fireworks factory.

I had heard that too and there as a lot of small sparkly pops in the fire before the big blast.  Perhaps fireworks were stored in the same warehouse as the ammonium nitrate?

lamoe
Posted (edited)

2  Filipinos also died

Edited by lamoe
  • Thanks 1

SkyMan

Noting the end of Lamoe's video, I wonder if some dash cam videos are going to surface from people driving near (not too near) the blast.

SkyMan

• Thanks 2

Dave D

From what I read the stuff had been sitting there for years due the ship it was originally on being abandoned and then to bureaucratic snafus.   The port was asking for something to be done about it for years.    They wanted it sold or given away....

I read someplace else they were welding doors on the the storage building to secure it from theft.   Big Oops.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Ozepete

This was a preventable industrial accident, not a bomb as such.  Having 2750 metric tons of Nitrate (That's 2,750,000 kilograms!) stored for six years in such a populated area is insane. Then to have fireworks plant next door, well that takes this to another level. Those responsible should be locked up.  So many innocent die because of stupidity.   

Up the donga I once used one and a half tons of nitro (Nitrate fertiliser mixed with diesel) to break up a 2.4 mt thick layer of jasper over an area 100mts x 50mts. We were nearly half a km away when we fired and still had to dodge flying rock. That shit has some kick. 

• Like 6

SkyMan
4 hours ago, to_dave007 said:

Do you mean the tall building?  It's a grain elevator, and I suspect it was full at te time of the blast judging by the color and shape of the debris that slumped towards the blast (looks like grain). If I'm right, it means there was one HELL of a lot of mass in the elevator that needed to be moved by the blast.

Yeah, I see that now.  So basically a solid block of mass rather than a office or apartment building which would have a lot of space inside.  The amount of damage to that giant brick is amazing and it was almost blown completely over.  From some angles it looks like half or more of it is gone.

Salty Dog

This thread is not the place for discussions about the possible terrorist/political aspects of this incident. If you feel a need to discuss such topics, here is a link to a thread in the Comfort Room Forums (CR).

https://www.livingincebuforums.com/topic/116368-explosion-in-beirut-terrorism

If you’re not a member of the CR and would like to join, here is a link "So You Want To Join The Comfort Room".