Plastic jackhammer gas tank repair

SkyMan

My 2 stroke jackhammer's gas tank has a crack and a small hole.  I'm hoping this is the type of plastic that can be welded with a soldering iron because the duct tape didn't work.  I'm also wondering if silicon glue or something like that work and hold against gasoline?  Perhaps Vulca Seal or something like that would work?  I'm researching ordering a replacement but I want to get it going as soon as I can.  Thanks

lamoe
18 minutes ago, SkyMan said:

My 2 stroke jackhammer's gas tank has a crack and a small hole.  I'm hoping this is the type of plastic that can be welded with a soldering iron because the duct tape didn't work.  I'm also wondering if silicon glue or something like that work and hold against gasoline?  Perhaps Vulca Seal or something like that would work?  I'm researching ordering a replacement but I want to get it going as soon as I can.  Thanks

Had same one time - used SS "pop rivet" and SS washers (inside  and out) with silicone sealant on outside.

Used wire threaded from outside through filler hole to get washer over rivet on inside.

Found this online -

"Most automotive parts suppliers have tank repair kits in one form or another. They usually are a two part epoxy with some kind of steel or fiberglass mesh. They are similar to the muffler repair kits."

cookie47

As Iamoe says, dedicated fuel rank repair putty Two part, mix /need equal parts together together,, Very common item to carry, and,, really works well on on Steel tank,, Plastic fiberglass, don't know never tried. Looked on Lazada, they have options. 

SkyMan
1 minute ago, cookie47 said:

As Iamoe says, dedicated fuel rank repair putty Two part, mix /need equal parts together together,, Very common item to carry, and,, really works well on on Steel tank,, Plastic fiberglass, don't know never tried. Looked on Lazada, they have options. 

Would Marine Epoxy work?

cookie47
Would Marine Epoxy work?
The produce I carried and used in Australia had a pink color when mixed,which is very similar to what carpenters and painters use here use to fill nail holes Two Part mix as well.. I don't really know but it's worth a try.

Sent from my MI MAX using Tapatalk

cookie47
The produce I carried and used in Australia had a pink color when mixed,which is very similar to what carpenters and painters use here use to fill nail holes Two Part mix as well.. I don't really know but it's worth a try.

Assuming you can get it clean, prior to the introduction of fuel rank repair kits, 5 Minute ARADITE was a go to product.. Two part mix again.Again some plastics do not bond well..

SkyMan
1 hour ago, cookie47 said:

The produce I carried and used in Australia had a pink color when mixed,which is very similar to what carpenters and painters use here use to fill nail holes Two Part mix as well..

Sounds like Bondo.

cookie47
Sounds like Bondo.
Yes, I forgot, that's it. Now whether it's impervious to gasoline? My gut feeling is yes when set... But as I said some plastics are very picky to adhere too..

cookie47

What about making a "jury rig" tank made from a plastic bottle. Mount above engine "somehow" and gravity feed engine. Of coarse I haven't seen the device so I'm only guessing and stabbing in the dark... I assume carburetored..

SkyMan
Posted (edited)

Thought about the jury rig idea but it seemed like it would be much more of a hassle than it was worth.  If I have to I'll just take it to a body shop and have them bondo it.

I tried the soldering iron welding and it worked for the fine cracks but I didn't have any fill material for the holes.  I tried using zip ties but only have the white ones which don't melt with my iron. I think I would need the black ones. I put silicone glue over it to fill the holes, then a thick layer of marine epoxy over that and left it overnight. This morning I wasn't totally sure the epoxy would adhere to the plastic well enough so I layered duct tape over that. Hopefully that will work until I can get a replacement tank. It's been working for a few hours now and they don't have all that much they need to do with it. 

Edited by SkyMan
  • Like 1
to_dave007
On 8/4/2020 at 11:17 AM, cookie47 said:

sounds like the marine epoxy cement..  which we use here for damn near everything.

Edited by to_dave007
  • Like 1