Shelled / skinless peanuts in Carbon

lamoe

Monday food trip to Carbon.  Made right turn not left :db:

Peanuts in shell from local market - small / lots of bad ones,

Wanted to try deep frying like you see from street vendors - found ones ones with skin still on in UNIT #3 Carbon - good but still small and skins collected at bottom of deep fryer - BTW in the US south they deep fry with shells on and eat that way.

Today found skinless - P100 / Kg - bigger and better initial flavor. Will fry tonight 1  1/2 min at 350F - 175 C

20200803_102040[1].jpg

battleborn

Sounds good!

• Thanks 1
lamoe

Put hot sauce on first to hold the powders - then into Mason Jar type glass container to stay fresh -  eat with small spoon

Great with Red Horse

20200803_104113[1].jpg

• Like 1
SkyMan
20 minutes ago, lamoe said:

BTW in the US south they deep fry with shells on and eat that way.

When I was there they boiled them and then the nut were kind of soft, almost mushy.  I thought that a horrible thing to do to a peanut.

I'm really surprised the grocery stores have been out of peanuts for a while.  All they have left is some bags of local peanuts.

• Like 1
BossHog

Adding a good curry powder, Old Bay seasoning, or even just chili powder will make for a tasty snack. Or mix in some slivered garlic when you fry 'em.

The big vacuum-sealed blocks of peanuts from China (10 kilos?) Will often be the freshest and best value. Anything else sitting out in market humidity will have deteriorated pretty fast.

Sent from my KFDOWI using Tapatalk

• Like 2
lamoe
2 minutes ago, SkyMan said:

When I was there they boiled them and then the nut were kind of soft, almost mushy.  I thought that a horrible thing to do to a peanut.

I'm really surprised the grocery stores have been out of peanuts for a while.  All they have left is some bags of local peanuts.

They boil them way  too long

Started out frying for 2 min - realized recipe was for US Red Skins - cut back to about 1:15

These appear to be same size as US ones. Will try small batch at 1 1/2

Container hold 2 cups - lasts 4 days :1frog:

20200803_105742[1].jpg

wondersailor

Have never thought about frying them. I have recently thought.about making my own peanut butter.

• Like 1
BossHog
Have never thought about frying them. I have recently thought.about making my own peanut butter.
Pretty easy to do. Assuming you're in d'Phils. Get a ten kilo block of peanuts (as mentioned) and you wanna get some of the good imported Anchor butter. Or the Danish butter. The peanut vendors usually have the equipment to make peanut butter on the spot. Takes but minutes.

• Like 2
lamoe
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, BossHog said:

Pretty easy to do. Assuming you're in d'Phils. Get a ten kilo block of peanuts (as mentioned) and you wanna get some of the good imported Anchor butter. Or the Danish butter. The peanut vendors usually have the equipment to make peanut butter on the spot. Takes but minutes.

Been to Carbon regularly now for my peanuts (found one who does stock skinless - not sure if others were out of stock ) - no candied ones recently.

Looked like came in 50Kg bags, no blocks

Lots of vids online - we have a blender - no food processor

Edited by lamoe
lamoe

Made peanut butter

Used blender - my old food processor would have been better

Made several mistakes

Didn't deep fry nuts first to add more oil - had to add a substantial amount of olive oil - several tablespoons (4?)

Added too much salt - cut it with brown sugar and more nuts

Other than that not too bad for 1st try.

• 3 weeks later...
lamoe
Posted (edited)

Update - 2nd batch - deep fried -  75 sec - drained but didn't dry - spread on large plate  otherwise continue to cook - still some oil left on them - blended when cooled down some - worked great - started with 2 hand fulls then added in small amounts and worked speeds  - added very little addition oil - some brown sugar and very small amount of salt.

My primary critic - "too smooth need more crunchy" - added more but didn't completely blend - that's the way I like it also.

Edited by lamoe