FYI The Huntsman Spider

SkyMan

image.thumb.png.5b94af5005c4011d6e4831ba45e8c154.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
cookie47

They like hiding behind your sun visor in your car in Australia. Pull sun visor down and spider lands into your lap. Haaa. It wouldn't be the first time that someone has run off the road due to this... 

• Like 3
Kreole

I am rather fond of Huntsman spiders.  I never kill them, as they are welcome in my cottage because they kill cockroaches which I will not tolerate.  Unfortunately, my cats tend to catch and kill them but never put a dent in the roach population.  On a much smaller scale, the Jumping spiders are a delight.  They are all over my cottage and help keep the smaller insects in check.  Sadly jumping spiders do not live more than a year.  I had one jump on my lap and proceed to jump onto my finger as I gazed into it 8 eyes.  It was totally unafraid.  I dropped it off a few times and it always came back to continue the staring contest.  Absolutely amazing critters. 

In addition, I just love Preying Mantis, one of the coolest insects.  They show no fear, and are content to sit on my shoulder or my finger, walk up my arm, and are never aggressive.  There seems to be an "understanding" that they have nothing to fear, at least from me.  And they come in the most incredible variety of shapes and colors.

Edited by Kreole
  • Like 4
cookie47
3 minutes ago, Kreole said:

addition, I just love Preying Mantis, one of the coolest insects.  They show no fear

Absolutely, I agree with all you have said. 

battleborn

Had a few in my CR.  Frecked me out the first time I saw one.

• Like 1
cookie47

Australian ones do bite, very very rare and generally not serious. "Their not out to kill you" 🙃

• Like 3
Kreole

Fortunately, there are no seriously venomous spiders in the RP.  Most do have venom, but with only minor effect on humans.  Scorpions and centipedes move the notch up a bit with their painful, but not lethal venom.  However, to make up for that, the RP does have an abundance and variety of venomous snakes, sea critters (jelly fish and Blue Ringed Octopus) and avians (mosquito) that can kill a person outright without immediate medical intervention and/or anti-venom.

Speaking of snakes, one of my favorites is the King Cobra, the largest venomous snake in the world with up to 15 ft. in length.  Its venom can kill an elephant.  To me, all snakes are beautiful and elegant with skills beyond the imagination.  Imagine being able to climb a smooth tree trunk or pole without arms or legs. 

I had always wondered if the King was present in the Philippines, until I saw a video from Davao of a King Cobra that had died trying to ingest a large python.  Turns out the python was just too bulky and long, and the King could not get it all into its stomach, nor could it regurgitate it either and thus died and popped open in a few locations.  One interesting factoid about the python or maybe all snakes in general is the caustic strength of their stomach acid and enzymes that digest everything except fur and feathers.

• Like 3
Headshot
4 hours ago, Kreole said:

Fortunately, there are no seriously venomous spiders in the RP. 

Well, not exactly true. The brown recluse is here. Hitched rides in containers aboard ships.

• Like 1
Kreole
20 minutes ago, Headshot said:

Well, not exactly true. The brown recluse is here. Hitched rides in containers aboard ships.

The Brown Recluse is a non-native species, but thanks for pointing that out.  I wonder how widespread the Recluse is in the RP?  Although not lethal , its Cytotoxic venom is incredibly destructive to skin, muscle and tissue.  I am trying to search a treatment for it, but my signal is almost non existent at the moment.

• Like 1
SkyMan
52 minutes ago, Kreole said:

The Brown Recluse is a non-native species, but thanks for pointing that out.  I wonder how widespread the Recluse is in the RP?  Although not lethal , its Cytotoxic venom is incredibly destructive to skin, muscle and tissue.  I am trying to search a treatment for it, but my signal is almost non existent at the moment.

A friend of mine died from organ failure a couple years after a brown recluse bite in Georgia.

• Like 2
Headshot
30 minutes ago, SkyMan said:

A friend of mine died from organ failure a couple years after a brown recluse bite in Georgia.

A friend of mine in Louisiana died after she was bitten on the foot by a brown recluse. The doctors at the time didn't really know what to do. The area around the bite started to rot and became gangrenous, so they amputated her foot. Next, the stump at her ankle started to rot and they amputated her leg up to her knee. Of course, the rot continued up her leg, and they amputated the leg just below her hip. When the rot continued into her trunk, there was nothing the doctors could do, and she died. Brown recluse bites are very nasty. They don't kill quickly, they just kill you a little bit at a time. Hopefully, by now they have developed treatments for brown recluse bites, but back in the late 60's, the brown recluse was new to the US, and they had nothing.

Back to the topic, the huntsman spider may not be very toxic to humans, but from what I have read, their bites are very painful. I prefer to keep them outside. If they stay there, they have nothing to fear from me. They are not welcome in my house.

Edited by Headshot
  • Like 1
newtocebu
23 hours ago, cookie47 said:

Australian ones do bite, very very rare and generally not serious. "Their not out to kill you" 🙃

And can grow quite large, especially here in QLD - we have had some absolute monsters around our place at times

21 hours ago, Kreole said:

Fortunately, there are no seriously venomous spiders in the RP.  Most do have venom, but with only minor effect on humans.  Scorpions and centipedes move the notch up a bit with their painful, but not lethal venom.  However, to make up for that, the RP does have an abundance and variety of venomous snakes, sea critters (jelly fish and Blue Ringed Octopus) and avians (mosquito) that can kill a person outright without immediate medical intervention and/or anti-venom.

Speaking of snakes, one of my favorites is the King Cobra, the largest venomous snake in the world with up to 15 ft. in length.  Its venom can kill an elephant.  To me, all snakes are beautiful and elegant with skills beyond the imagination.  Imagine being able to climb a smooth tree trunk or pole without arms or legs. 

I had always wondered if the King was present in the Philippines, until I saw a video from Davao of a King Cobra that had died trying to ingest a large python.  Turns out the python was just too bulky and long, and the King could not get it all into its stomach, nor could it regurgitate it either and thus died and popped open in a few locations.  One interesting factoid about the python or maybe all snakes in general is the caustic strength of their stomach acid and enzymes that digest everything except fur and feathers.

Ive always liked snakes

Especially when you get them crispy on the outside, and tender on the inside

• Like 1
Kreole
19 minutes ago, newtocebu said:

Ive always liked snakes

Especially when you get them crispy on the outside, and tender on the inside

Well, at least you have good taste.

• Like 1
Kabisay-an gid

Though not native to the Philippines, there is a substantial population of Australian redback spiders in the Philippines. Though usually not deadly, their venomous bites are quite painful and can cause nausea, vomiting, and headache. If bitten, immediate medical treatment should be sought.

Though a Huntsman spider bite shouldn't cause serious symptoms in its human victims, the bites are quite painful, so I wouldn't try to get too friendly with them. I'm with Headshot on this one, I'm not going to let them crawl around my house - if I see one he's going to get a face full of bug spray.

• Like 3
cookie47

I'll tell you a story about Huntsman.

The family has always had a Weekender, (a small miners cottage about 50 mile (80k) from Melbourne. A friend asked if I could get wood for his wood stove. Yeh no problem.
So with my brother we cut up a few fallen trees and stacked them unto my station wagon.

Drove home, (Sunday night). Go out to car Monday morning to go to work.

Huntsman EVERYWHERE. (they live in the thick Bark).... All mainly on the windows "probably" attracted by the morning sunrise.

Well 10 minutes of shooing and swiping I drove off only to find one walking up the inside of the windscreen at a set of traffic lights,, ahhhhh....

Sent from my MI MAX using Tapatalk

• Haha 2