HeyMike

Transiting Thru Manila to or from Cebu

HeyMike

I have learned my lesson many years ago. I live on Cebu and will never, ever take a flight with a transfer from Manila.

• Like 4

SkyMan
Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, HeyMike said:

I have learned my lesson many years ago. I live on Cebu and will never, ever take a flight with a transfer from Manila.

My biggest fear when booking a flight direct into or out of Cebu is that somehow it will be redirected through Manila.  Call me Manilaphobic if you like but a phobia is defined as an unrealistic fear and I don't believe it is unrealistic.

Edited by SkyMan
  • Like 3

BossHog

Flying out of or into Manila is fun . Cebu is a piss poor cousin.

I live in back-ass Mindanao. When we want to have fun we fly to Manila. Cebu is a yawn-fest by comparison.

Sent from my KFDOWI using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Davaoeno
Posted (edited)

I have been flying back and forth to Canada for over 10 years.  Sometimes more than once a year.  The first year I flew through Cebu but after that started to fly through Manila. In 9 years I have never had a problem flying through Manila .  

Sometimes its hard to figure out if they off loaded my luggage for checking in Manila but I consider that just part of the travel experience ! 

I did have to pay a bribe once to get on the plane but that was in the first year and because my visa had expired the day before - and that was in the Davao airport .

I have only ever had to open my luggage on arrival  from Canada at the Cebu airport  [ and was extorted 800 pesos for some imaginary infraction ! ]     hehe  Again just part of doing business when travelling ! 

Edited by Davaoeno
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

HeyMike

When you live on Cebu, going through Manila is a horror. I was told when leaving JFK that my luggage will be forwarded to Cebu, 2 check-in baggages. When I get to Manila I am told I have to get my luggage and go to domestic flying Cebu Pacific, or PAL, not sure now.

CP or PAL allowed only 1 check-in and the carry-on was a different weight restrictions from international. I got stuck paying a fortune (for me anyway).

Of course, if you live on a different Island without direct international flights there, you are familiar with the domestic restrictions. I purposely asked about my luggage getting to Cebu because of the different restrictions on the luggage and was told... yeah, sure your luggage will be forwarded to Cebu.... yeah that's the ticket. Silly me. 

Anyway, that was years ago and I haven't been through Manila since.

• Like 3

cookie47
Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, SkyMan said:
My biggest fear when booking a flight direct into or out of Cebu is that somehow it will be redirected through Manila.  Call me Manilaphobic if you like but a phobia is defined as an unrealistic fear and I don't believe it is unrealistic.

I'm glad you mentioned it. Long story, will try to condense.
Living in Melbourne about 1991.Wife got news mother had died. Told her to go I would follow when job allows.
Two weeks later I depart Melbourne directly to Cebu, then the plane goes on to Manila on a PA DC10.
About 1 hour from arrival from Cebu the captain says "sorry ladies and gentlemen we will have to divert to Manila as the landing lights at Cebu are not working".ahh OK,It was only just getting dark but I guess regulations were enacted. 
Arrive Manila,,Told at the Gate a PA Airlines rep would meet us outside for transport . Immigration was not advised. I was ask how long I'm staying HUH.
Dunno, Why,, Where are you staying,??.I need a hotel or address on your arrival card??
I explained,,, ahh OK,,,.understand.
Get bags,,, Go outside, Phew,, Hot, (just left Melbourne winter). Found Cebu group about 15 passengers , Have to wait for bus, will go to hotel OK,, Note.. This is 8.30pm pm..Bus arrives Hooray, NOT ,, It's a school bus, no under floor lockers. Drag 30 kilos onto bus, help woman and children with luggage.
Arrive Hotel 20 mins away from the airport.
High rise about 10 story.. .Name.?
Check in, by this time it's close to 9.0pm.Go to room, Sorry sir no beds made up, go to restaurant it's free for diverted Cebu passengers, OK, Eat, return to room, All OK.
Unpack, Shower, COLD, Get head down about 11.30. 12.30 phone rings. Hi, Just letting you know that your booked on a domestic Cebu flight and it will leave at 6.0am and the bus will pick up at 4.30.ahhh.
Can you give a call, yes sir I will call at 3.45 OK.
Couldn't sleep after that, watched television.

Finally arrive Cebu.. In reality they done their best under the circumstances...

Fortunately wife was at airport.... No one had a mobile in those days either.

Sent from my MI MAX using Tapatalk

Edited by cookie47
Addition
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Ozepete

About 20 years ago I flew to Cebu via Manila. Was due to arrive about 8.00 PM so we booked a hotel in Cebu. My sweetie pie was to wait for me at that hotel (near airport) Arrived in Manila late and missed my flight to Cebu and no options that night, best was a 5.30AM flight. I thought ok a bit of a wait but I was to find out that in those days the Manila airport closed at night and I ended up out it the heat nursing a giant stuffed kangaroo!! At least the 'roo created  bit of conversation but after all night siting on the hot side walk with my pal Joey, I think I was more stuffed than that roo when they finally re-opened the joint and cool air.   All this while my sweety was enjoying a lovely sleep in the air conditioned comport at the Belavista! grrrrrr :cry:

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

mikecon3
1 hour ago, HeyMike said:

CP or PAL allowed only 1 check-in and the carry-on was a different weight restrictions from international. I got stuck paying a fortune (for me anyway).

Even worse going to Masbate...1 check-in bag, and the weight is only 10kg...so coming off an international flight with 2 bags @23kg each, down to one 10kg bag...I feel your pain!

• Like 4

to_dave007

Canadian (married to Filipina but not yet 13A holder.. still on tourist visa).   arrived via PAL in Manila within last 24 hours..  (from Vancouver).  currently waiting results of COVID test, then will hop flight to cebu. 

He says "In Manila at a hotel. Test results supposed to be back in 24 hrs. Should be home tomorrow evening.  Very organized here. Much smoother than in Vancouver and way quicker. Took a pal flight. Business class. When my results are back I go to the airport and get the next flight to Cebu from International terminal.  Domestic terminal is closed since March 15 (still closed).  I’m classed same as returning foreign workers.  I have to show clean test. I can print the email here and need it to book the Cebu flight". 

• Like 2

Paddy
9 hours ago, HeyMike said:

When you live on Cebu, going through Manila is a horror. I was told when leaving JFK that my luggage will be forwarded to Cebu, 2 check-in baggages. When I get to Manila I am told I have to get my luggage and go to domestic flying Cebu Pacific, or PAL, not sure now.

Of course, if you live on a different Island without direct international flights there, you are familiar with the domestic restrictions. I purposely asked about my luggage getting to Cebu because of the different restrictions on the luggage and was told... yeah, sure your luggage will be forwarded to Cebu.... yeah that's the ticket. Silly me. 

Anyway, that was years ago and I haven't been through Manila since.

Two things:

1. Checking bags all the way through works best when it’s the same airline. Realistically, this means PAL from wherever to Manila and PAL domestic. Its supposed to work for partner airlines as well but my one experience of that was a failure. 

2. You have to clear customs at your port of entry - with your bags. In your case, Manila. Under normal travel circumstances, PAL have a carousel transfer point, with a Customs guy, to make this easier. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Paddy
7 hours ago, mikecon3 said:

Even worse going to Masbate...1 check-in bag, and the weight is only 10kg...so coming off an international flight with 2 bags @23kg each, down to one 10kg bag...I feel your pain!

Travel to Masbate is certainly a joy with checked baggage. It’s worse now that only Cebu Pacific do the flights. When PAL Express were doing the flight you could at least book on the PAL site and prepay 10 or15kg (cheaper than at checkin). 

The main problem with PAL Express was their schedule - which typically departed at 5am while the flights from Canada arrived around 6 or 7. This meant it was just about impossible to book the Masbate flight as a connecting flight and thus be able to check the bags all the way through. I certainly never achieved it. 

• Like 1

Paddy

If I was travelling to Cebu (and I have done this once from the UK a few years back),  I would plan to arrive directly in Cebu. At the time CX had some good options either from London or Toronto. 

Most of the time, though, I have travelled to Masbate and so I developed a relaxed Manila transit plan (both directions) that worked well for me and allowed me to arrive in Masbate fresh and awake. It also allowed me elbow room for leaving the country with only a day before my visa expired. That plan coped with flight changes (both directions), domestic flight cancellations due to weather AND the shift of PAL Express operations from NAIA to Clark. 

• Like 3