JamesMusslewhite

Do local banks no longer accept foreign ATM/debit cards?

JamesMusslewhite
Posted (edited)

So we go to the bank to draw some funds and it does not comply. The card is a US bank VISA where my VA payments are direct deposited. My first thought was a possible banking system issue do to repeated brownout issues. Nope, it seems the banks in Surigao City no longer accept magnetic strip cards. Now I card was already going to expire in September and I will need to be issued a new card. But will a new US ATM card be accepted by Philippine ATMs? Do not all ATM/debit cards use magnetic strips? Will banks accept a newly issued US bank card? Is this occuring in other areas as well, or merely North Mindanao?

Edited by JamesMusslewhite

Dafey

Probably the Magnetic strip is not accepted anymore. Your new one will have a chip.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

rfm010
13 hours ago, JamesMusslewhite said:

Do not all ATM/debit cards use magnetic strips?

O M G  what a boomer!

Hopefully just a chip thing, better check with local banks though, who knows what strange ideas get in the heads of local bankers.  I've used my u. s. debit card with a chip in the past month or so and it worked, but i live in civilization.  On the other hand it also has a strip but even my pnb card has gone to chip.

how are you going to get your new card by september?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

to_dave007

My Canadian friend having trouble using his Canadian issue cards in the province.. Works at HSBC at Ayala but multiple machines in province would not accept.  Just one here in Tuburan accepts it. I bank over the counter so haven't tried mine.

• Like 1

rfm010
13 hours ago, to_dave007 said:

My Canadian friend having trouble using his Canadian issue cards in the province.. Works at HSBC at Ayala but multiple machines in province would not accept.  Just one here in Tuburan accepts it. I bank over the counter so haven't tried mine.

Do his cards have chips?  I was thinking the provinces might be less likely to have chip reading machines, in which case james' problem may be bigger than lack of chip.

• Like 1

to_dave007
58 minutes ago, rfm010 said:

Do his cards have chips? 

I believe so.

• Like 1

Paddy

My Canadian ATM card (TD Canada Trust) has a chip and contactless payment - so effectively state of the art. A while back it stopped working here. I spoke to the bank, including the loss prevention folks. They said they could see the failed transaction attempts and guessed it was a chip issue. I have yet to request a replacement card (waiting to see improved courier performance). Only one bank machine here  (Legazpi Savings) identified a chip error. All the others, including BDO and Metrobank, just gave up the ghost - either at the beginning or mid-transaction. The Legazpi Savings machine reported “not a  smart card” so obviously could not detect the chip. 

I had a similar problem with an older version of the card back in Canada. It didn’t seem to like gas pump card readers in the winter. New card solved the problem. 

I’ll get a replacement card “soon” and try again. 

The OP’s problem is probably the lack of chip. 

• Like 2

Salty Dog

Mine has a chip, but I haven't been able to use it in the Philippines in over 5 years. 

Of course I haven't been in the Philippines since 2014… :biggrin_01:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

BossHog
Do his cards have chips?  I was thinking the provinces might be less likely to have chip reading machines, in which case james' problem may be bigger than lack of chip.

The ATMs in Surigao City, where James is banking, are all able to read chipped cards. He needs an upgraded card. Over the counter with a human teller should work in the interim.

Sent from my KFDOWI using Tapatalk

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

JamesMusslewhite
On 7/28/2020 at 10:39 AM, Dafey said:

Probably the Magnetic strip is not accepted anymore. Your new one will have a chip.

The VISA debit card does actually have a chip on the face of the card. What I thought was a magnetic strip on the back of the card I believe is merely a surface intended to signature the card...

HeyMike

A few years ago I used an atm in Carcar and the machine ate my card. It was Sunday, so I had to go back and get my card the next day. The girl at the bank asked what the name on the card was. She had about 20 cards. She explained that the gear that pulls the cards into the machine was damaging the cards and not returning them.

I got my card back and noticed the atm damaged the card by pulling a little of the plastic finish on the card, right next to the computer chip.

I was able to carefully smooth the damaged plastic back down and the card worked at other atm's. I never used a ChinaBank atm again.

James, check to see if there is any damage to the card, especially by the chip. If there is, you may be able to fix it.

JamesMusslewhite
On 7/28/2020 at 12:32 PM, rfm010 said:

O M G  what a boomer!

Hopefully just a chip thing, better check with local banks though, who knows what strange ideas get in the heads of local bankers.  I've used my u. s. debit card with a chip in the past month or so and it worked, but i live in civilization.  On the other hand it also has a strip but even my pnb card has gone to chip.

how are you going to get your new card by september?

I need merely to have a new debit card sent to my US registered address. My son can then forward it here via express registered mail. From the time I contact my bank and request a new card it should get sent to my son, and once dropped at fedex it would get here within a week. The trick is to place the bank envelope into another larger envelope with several folded sheets of letter size paper. Then when Fedex puts it in their envelope simply have it labeled as 'documents'. I have never had an issue doing it that way before, and has always proven to be rather painless.

JamesMusslewhite
10 minutes ago, HeyMike said:

A few years ago I used an atm in Carcar and the machine ate my card. It was Sunday, so I had to go back and get my card the next day. The girl at the bank asked what the name on the card was. She had about 20 cards. She explained that the gear that pulls the cards into the machine was damaging the cards and not returning them.

I got my card back and noticed the atm damaged the card by pulling a little of the plastic finish on the card, right next to the computer chip.

I was able to carefully smooth the damaged plastic back down and the card worked at other atm's. I never used a ChinaBank atm again.

James, check to see if there is any damage to the card, especially by the chip. If there is, you may be able to fix it.

I too thought to check the card for any sign of damage, but nothing outside of normal wear. At the bank's ATM I usually use there was a paper (written in Visayan) stating some kind of phasing out cards. I will go in town in the morning and query the banks. Surigao City is a small but probably has a dozen different bank branches, all with ATMs so I can try to see if the card will work in one of their machines. I might get lucky.

The card was issued from Chase so is sound, and the card is VISA which should be sound. But I know that some credit cards are rejected from time to time . Perhaps VISA and the Philippine ATM collection software are having issues? I can go into the city and see what I can learn, at the same time I can get some walking exercise, grab a burger for lunch and a large pizza takeout to bring home. All this healthy fresh seafood on this island has me craving some not-so-healthy fastfood...

• Like 1

rfm010
12 hours ago, JamesMusslewhite said:

The card was issued from Chase so is sound, and the card is VISA which should be sound. ..

That's what i've used, no problems except with lazada.  With lazada i had to call chase to get the order verified, ended up talking to a cute (at least in my imagination) girl in a makati call center.  On a side note she said lazada and visa dont always play well together.  

Have you tried calling chase?

JamesMusslewhite
17 hours ago, BossHog said:

The ATMs in Surigao City, where James is banking, are all able to read chipped cards. He needs an upgraded card. Over the counter with a human teller should work in the interim.

Sent from my KFDOWI using Tapatalk

Your right, and I will venture into the city tomorrow and see what I can learn. New card? VISA card rejection? Only an issue with certain bank branches? Space alias? Wok-woks? I'm open for anything...

I have always resisted reopening another Philippine bank account. I have US bank checks but when deposited they place a 30 day hold on the checks. Even so I could open a local checking account and just start depositing monthly check again. The card expires on 9/20 so it is not like things are desperate, and no need to rush on the bank card. And a few small starter projects are starting to turn a profit. So it is probably time to reopen a local bank account w/debit card.