SkyMan

Anyone know anything about the new internet company that is supposed to be coming in to compete with Globe and PLDT?  Is the name GTE?  

The reason I ask is that the road to my place is 2 lane (barely) and mostly concrete.  A couple days ago I was driving home and on the last stretch just down the hill from me they're trenching alongside the road with a backhoe.  Of course they were dumping on the road so it's one lane now.  I noticed at the end of the trench they were installing 3 large fiber backbones and I stopped by a group of guys.  One, I think was the foreman, a chinese looking guy with good English.  I talked to him briefly and I asked if they were going to run up the hill by my place but he said this was being installed by the gov't to connect the whole area to provide high-speed internet for low cost.  I asked if they could hook me up and he said yes, next year.  I asked which company but he said repeated it was the gov't so maybe it's going to be for public use where any of the companies can tap in?  Then I thought maybe it was that third company?  And I have heard rumors of the name GTE though that may be the installation company only?

BossHog

Dito Telecommunity is the third player. Operations expected in early 2021 but all timelines are a bit shaky right now. They are currently putting in infrastructure.

Fun fact: Dito used to be called the Mindanao Islamic Telephone Company. But make no mistake, it's Chinese owned.

You may have met a team of their sub-contractors.

• Like 2
battleborn

I read they are in a partnership with a major Chinese co.  They were to compete with Smart and Globe, but their future isn't so secure after the SONA speech.

SkyMan
7 hours ago, BossHog said:

You may have met a team of their sub-contractors.

THe foreman guy was Chinese.  All the rest appeared pinoy.

4 hours ago, battleborn said:

They were to compete with Smart and Globe, but their future isn't so secure after the SONA speech.

SMART and Globe's future?

battleborn

Yes, Smart and Globe.  Read the first part of his speech.  If they don't get their act together by December he may find a way to close them down.  He wants better and faster speed for their internet.  Ok, I understand but to threaten closure?

• Like 1
mikecon3
13 minutes ago, SkyMan said:

SMART and Globe's future?

The boss basically told them to get their act together. Told them he wants to call Jesus Christ in Bethlehem in December and the line better be clear!!!

• Like 1
Kreole
17 minutes ago, SkyMan said:

SONA speech

Where can I read that?  Let me guess what it may be about....  Some people in the government are sick of the near monopoly and very bad, hugely expensive phone and internet service, or should I say lack service, due to the lack of competition.  PLDT owns Smart, so lets just say there is PLDT and Globe.  I think there are a number of smaller cable service providers but I don't know what their relationship is with PLDT and Globe. 

I may be completely off the mark given the entrenched monopolies that control all major business and service enterprises in the RP, so it would be very rare that they would be challenged.

Edited by Kreole
  • Like 1
SkyMan
19 minutes ago, battleborn said:

Yes, Smart and Globe.  Read the first part of his speech.  If they don't get their act together by December he may find a way to close them down.  He wants better and faster speed for their internet.  Ok, I understand but to threaten closure?

Ok, I'd heard that bit about the SONA but the way you wrote that I wasn't sure if you were referring to SMART(PLDT) and Globe or Brand X having not so secure a future.

• Like 2
JamesMusslewhite

Fun Fact: PLDT currently control all trunks, all internet routs to and from Singapore. In the end all services in the Philippines must go through PLDT equipment. For a new internet internet to truly be fast they must lay new trunk, routers and microwave repeaters; otherwise they will be subject to the same choking points. For years San Migual has tried to establish a new internet company but where blocked by PLDT, Globe and Smart through corrupt politicians and monopoly tactics. I would love to see a new internet company here in the Philippines because the current ones really suck carabao balls... Worse internet speeds in Asia yet priced higher than services in the US...

When you text someone in your town, it is first routed to a Manila  PLDT mainframe trunk, transferred to Singapore which sends the text back to the Manila PLDT mainframe, which sends it to either Globe, Smart, Sun etc. Who then routs it back to your neighbor. This is how PLDT maintains their monopoly and dominance over competitors. I wish the new company great success because the current systems are choking businesses, restricting industries and overpricing locals. Worse speeds in Asia, even Borneo  headhunters can stream Youtube cooking videos faster...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Kreole

Thanks for clarifying that James.  I knew there had to be a choke point in all of this.  Here is a dream that will never come true:  the government owns and regulates all the trunk lines and access into and out of the country.  That would put all services on a much more competitive and equal playing field.  Just dreaming; I know it will never happen here.  The monopolies are so entrenched and powerful and all of the politicians (just like in every other country) are bought and paid for.

• Thanks 1
Jess Bartone
On 7/29/2020 at 12:29 PM, JamesMusslewhite said:

.... For years San Migual has tried to establish a new internet company but where blocked by PLDT, Globe and Smart through corrupt politicians and monopoly tactics....

Telstra Australia were invited to bid on installation of new infrastructure and establishing as a provider, but PLDT and Globe blocked them at every turn, issuing bogus court injunctions amongst other things. Telstra pulled out in disgust.

• Like 4