What engine size do I really need?

Dave the Rave

I am not a car buff.  For me, a good car is a car that works.  I do know enough about cars to equate engine size with power and I can say that the multicab I drove for a few years was underpowered.  I sold the multicab and now I want an upgrade. I am thinking about a used Toyota Innova or Hiace, or maybe a Mitsubishi Grandis or an Urvan.  But how big of an engine do I really need?  I want to be able to drive over the mountain carrying 8 or 9 people with both ACs running.  What engine size should I be looking for?  Any thoughts on the merits of the aforementioned used vehicles?  Thanks for your input. 

• Thanks 1
Swissrider
I am not a car buff.  For me, a good car is a car that works.  I do know enough about cars to equate engine size with power and I can say that the multicab I drove for a few years was underpowered.  I sold the multicab and now I want an upgrade. I am thinking about a used Toyota Innova or Hiace, or maybe a Mitsubishi Grandis or an Urvan.  But how big of an engine do I really need?  I want to be able to drive over the mountain carrying 8 or 9 people with both ACs running.  What engine size should I be looking for?  Any thoughts on the merits of the aforementioned used vehicles?  Thanks for your input. 
Toyota Innova is a good choice. I would not worry about the size of the engine. Does not really matter in this country considering the road system and and the dangers lurking around every corner where ever you go. So speed or acceleration of a car is not important. Comfort is.

Gesendet von meinem SM-N950F mit Tapatalk

• Like 1
menehune

With that many people, ac at full blast, auto trans. Going up and down the hills. Yes make sure you get a good eng size, or turbo with diesel. Getting some people needing to sell their cars with no power using too much gas and no space. But even the diesels are using too much cause they are only using it for short drives. Some of these diesels are small 4cyls and they are reving them too high to make power. Diesels dont do that.

• Like 1
menehune

And does anybody know of any real transmission shops in cebu? Starting to get many auto trans problems. But some are electral problems.

Davaoeno

I do a fair bit of driving  ie Manila to Davao 3x,  Iloilo to Davao ,  Cebu to Davao [ 8x]  etc .  I drive a fair sized suv and I drive fast . Usually too fast ! hehe   I have made the trips in 3.2 l diesel, 2.5 l diesel, 1.6 l gas and once in a 3 cylinder Eon .8 l gas .  I have never had a problem going up or down any hills here [ altho in the Eon you have to row the stick shift constantly to keep in the power band ].      The Innova and the Grandis are very different in size but a 1.5 l diesel in the Innova or a 2.5 l diesel in the Grandis will do what you want .   

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
Paddy

I’m no expert in this but...

On my route to and from Masbate City is a relatively short but steep hill. Trucks, Jeepneys, auto calesas, multicabs and tricycles all slow down to a crawl going up this hill. Seriously, I could walk up it faster than most of these vehicles. 

My Civic (1.8L CVT) has no trouble - whether 2 up or 5 up with a trunkful of stuff and the (single) aircon going. Neither do the pickup trucks and SUVs. And, neither do any of the white UV express vans (12 to 16 up with baggage pre social distancing). There aren’t too many Innovas or other “family” sized vans around here but I’ve never seen one of those struggle either. 

• Like 1
enoonmai

OP - I lived in Argao for 5 years. I had a 2004 Nissan X-Trail, a smallish SUV with a 2.5L engine. It had 4x4, I didn't use it much but it saved me a couple of times. I loved that car and I think something like that would be perfect. Ton Ton is the mechanic who helped me buy it, he has a shop at his home in Argao, everyone knows him. He works a lot on foreigner's cars, I would go talk to him if he's still around. I left the phils in 2016. If you see him tell him Mike says hi. 

Front_driver.thumb.jpg.e816aed1cb9e7f45420c5b6a159cb665.jpg

• Like 2
govoner

Anyone doing the trans central  ( cebu to Balanbang)  in a Vios  or similar 1.4 to 1.6 auto ? wondering how those motors cope with the climb?

Daddle

Depends if you want to slowly follow tricycles and jeepneys uphill or wish to pass them so as to slowly follow the one just ahead.

• Like 2
Paddy
21 hours ago, govoner said:

Anyone doing the trans central  ( cebu to Balanbang)  in a Vios  or similar 1.4 to 1.6 auto ? wondering how those motors cope with the climb?

My partner’s brother has a 2009/2010 Celerio. 1L 3 cylinder engine with aircon. I last drove it about 2 years ago. It also had no problem on the hill I mentioned above. 
I would expect a “recent” Vios to handle hilly roads without issue unless overloaded (which is half the problem with the vehicles that can’t manage the hill. The other being under powered for the basic weight of the vehicle).

• Like 1
Swissrider
Depends if you want to slowly follow tricycles and jeepneys uphill or wish to pass them so as to slowly follow the one just ahead.
I can't think of ANY new Van in the Philippine market that is not capable to pass a tricycle uphill. But ok if you insist, let him buy a Nissan NV3500 HD. 261 HP, 4 liter, V-6. Satisfied ?

lamoe
8 hours ago, Swissrider said:

I can't think of ANY new Van in the Philippine market that is not capable to pass a tricycle uphill. But ok if you insist, let him buy a Nissan NV3500 HD. 261 HP, 4 liter, V-6. Satisfied ?

Passing the one in front of you isn't the problem, it's the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, et. ones in the conga line in front of it.

• Like 1