Are public market scales accurate?

lamoe

I would say yes.

We use  the public market near Lex, also Ramos, and Carbon. The local market people know me now -  feel more confident not being Kano priced. But still wait away form her to insure pricing is correct when we go to Ramos or Carbon

We learned to ask for quarter K amounts, 1/4. 1/2,  3/4 , etc.

Have a 3 kilo kitchen , 50 Kilo baggage , and 600  x 0.01 g electronic "dealer" scales. She likes to weigh each item .:biggrin_01:

Typically weights are over when using electronic scales. Small amounts (0.01 to 0.05)

Only once was measured weight at home off and that was when Tata asked for 3/8 Kg - much closer to 1/4 -  that's understandable since 3/8 is not a normal amount.

Took the baggage scale to local market - had told vendor I typically use we had one for weighing luggage and he wanted to see it.

Was like a new toy. The others wanted to verify their own scales. Again, most weights were on the low not high side.

BossHog

Every large public market has a government issue scale. The vendors are supposed to calibrate on that. It's more.for show than practice though. You can usually see it near.the entrance locked up in a cage with lots of gov't warnings.

I'm not all that fussed. If the kilo of onions is 38 grams shy then whatever. Life's too short.

• Like 3
Goetz1965

Depends on how much pressure the vendor applies with his thumb....

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
SkyMan

Most vendors round down anyway. Yesterday an old lady wanted p90/kg for bananas.  I picked out a bunch and it weighed 1.25kg. She said 1-8 I wasn't quite sure what she meant (180?) But 108 seemed low. I gave her 110 and got p2 back.

T.S.

PROBE Team goes around checking scales sometimes, confiscates inaccurate ones, then destroys them...

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 2
Headshot

Nice publicity stunt, but what it really tells you is that no scales here can be trusted.

Edited by Headshot
  • Like 1