Roy Sullivan was hit by lightning on seven occasions

SkyMan

Last week, forget the day but about 3am, we had a very near lightning strike that was rather strange in that after the strike itself, the following rumble lasted at least 40 seconds not really tapering and with several booms that shook the house.  My wife was frightened and I got up to walk the dog around to see if there was anything around on fire. Another struck about 5 and a half minutes after the first but more towards Cebu. Anyway,  my neighbor and I were discussing it and he had also been woken and noted how strange it was. Somehow the subject of Roy Sullivan, the US park ranger who held the record for surviving the most lightning strikes and she was interested so later I looked up the wikipedia on him.  It's really a sad story but something about the way it's written got me laughing and I couldn't stop except for the suicide part. Anyway,  you enjoy the read. Maybe I'm just weird.   RIP Roy.

image.png.7da8bc8448d9d997181f733d2e0285cb.png

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roy_Cleveland_Sullivan

• Like 1
Headshot
1 hour ago, SkyMan said:

Last week, forget the day but about 3am, we had a very near lightning strike that was rather strange in that after the strike itself, the following rumble lasted at least 40 seconds not really tapering and with several booms that shook the house. 

I heard (and felt) that myself in Mandaue. At first, I thought lightning just like you, but as it continued for so long and so loud, I thought maybe the big volcano over on Negros had exploded. When the roar ended as suddenly as it started, I decided it couldn't be a volcano. Now, I am pretty sure that it was a meteor exploding in the atmosphere (which would explain why both of us heard and felt it). My whole house was shaking.

• Like 1
SkyMan
Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Headshot said:

I heard (and felt) that myself in Mandaue. At first, I thought lightning just like you, but as it continued for so long and so loud, I thought maybe the big volcano over on Negros had exploded. When the roar ended as suddenly as it started, I decided it couldn't be a volcano. Now, I am pretty sure that it was a meteor exploding in the atmosphere (which would explain why both of us heard and felt it). My whole house was shaking.

I heard 2, about 5 minutes apart.  The second was farther south which might have been near you.

The thought of some kind of military operation crossed my mind.  And being 2020.....

Edited by SkyMan