Headshot

I've just about had a gut full of this quarantine shit. I need to get to SM City to buy a laptop for my daughter. Unfortunately, they check ID's at the checkpoint between Mandaue and Cebu City, and they won't allow you to cross the boundary if you are 60+. Enough of this singling out seniors for special treatment. Just because I am older doesn't mean that I no longer need to take care of things, and those things are not available within my city's boundaries, then I need to be able to cross boundaries. Unfortunately, there just aren't a lot of options for buying laptops within the boundaries of Mandaue City.

• Like 2
BossHog

Don't be surprised to see a smaller than usual selection of laptops in the shops. It's nearly back to school time and everyone and their uncle is buying kids' laptops for online classes.

We found a decently specced Dell Inspiron on Lazada but the order has been processing for a week and hasn't shipped yet (Uh oh).

Ps. One tip I got from an American buddy who teaches online. Says get your kid a good peripheral webcam and especially an external Mic like what is used by podcasters. Says your student will get a lot more attention in online group classes.

• Thanks 1
Goetz1965

Best deal you can get at Lazada for 21000php 
MAIBENBEN Laptop DAMAI E527 15.6 inch ADS Screen / AMD Ryzen 5 2500U / AMD Radeon Vega 8 Graphics / 8BG DDR4 RAM / PCI-E SSD+HDD / Windows 10

Ordered mine last week with their sale, its on the way already and hope to be here next week.

https://www.lazada.com.ph/products/maibenben-laptop-damai-e527-156-inch-ads-screen-amd-ryzen-5-2500u-amd-radeon-vega-8-graphics-ddr4-ram-pci-e-ssdhdd-windows-10-silver-white-online-learning-free-shipping-i487580099-s1472876104.html?spm=a2o4l.searchlistbrand.list.18.ff6611b3XGLSVo&search=1

SkyMan
4 hours ago, Headshot said:

I've just about had a gut full of this quarantine shit. I need to get to SM City to buy a laptop for my daughter. Unfortunately, they check ID's at the checkpoint between Mandaue and Cebu City, and they won't allow you to cross the boundary if you are 60+. Enough of this singling out seniors for special treatment. Just because I am older doesn't mean that I no longer need to take care of things, and those things are not available within my city's boundaries, then I need to be able to cross boundaries. Unfortunately, there just aren't a lot of options for buying laptops within the boundaries of Mandaue City.

There's an Interpace computer place the second floor of Insular square and although it's kind of small, they can probably get stuff from other branches.

You can view their price list online.  Gaisano interpace.

Edited by SkyMan
  • Like 1
Irenicus
5 hours ago, Headshot said:

Just because I am older doesn't mean that I no longer need to take care of things,

You need to take care of your kid.  Stay alive.

• Like 1
fivestarph
6 hours ago, Headshot said:

If you reside in Mandaue City, I thought that both J.Center and ParkMall have decent computer shops or at least they did before lockdowns.

Headshot

I was able to buy two laptops at NGenius through their main office on Hernan Cortes (which is in Mandaue). Boss is right about computers being bought up by panicking parents. They were out-of-stock for most of their inventory of brands and models, but I was still able to get a couple of decent laptops for my daughter and nephew.

Still, if seniors were allowed the same travel ability as every other adult in the area, none of this "great chase" would have been necessary. I would have purchased these laptops weeks ago through a store in a mall, and I would have had a lot more brands and models to choose from.

• Like 4
HongKongPhooey
6 hours ago, BossHog said:

get your kid a good peripheral webcam and especially an external Mic like what is used by podcasters.

Rather than an external mic, I would suggest a decent gamer headset (dual headphones with mic). Get a USB wired one rather than wireless.  I really dislike being on video call with participants on external or built-in mics - just constant background noise and bad quality.