SkyMan

Airbnb and Uber questions, U.S.

SkyMan

I'm considering a trip back to the US and I was hoping there would be some here that could answer some questions on Airbnb and Uber.  They seem to be the way to go in some situations.  

On Airbnb, suppose you rent for a week or more, do you get some kind of lease agreement?  Maybe some standard Airbnb documentation?  I may need proof of address for some gov't bs.  I guess it's up to the owner if you can receive mail there?

On Uber, when I go to the site and do a sample trip to get the idea of costs, it always comes up as the fare for one pax, there is no way to do the sample for additional pax so is that the per person price or is that a per car price so no need to add other pax?

Dafey
38 minutes ago, SkyMan said:

On Uber, when I go to the site and do a sample trip to get the idea of costs, it always comes up as the fare for one pax, there is no way to do the sample for additional pax so is that the per person price or is that a per car price so no need to add other pax?

Unless you opt for uber ride share that is the price of all the seats in the car for that ride. So the price they quote includes your wife.

• Like 2

Chris24

What Dafey said re Uber has been my experience also.  It's per ride not per pax so that price is for both of you (not each of you).  You pay (and tip) through the Uber app so no cash changes hands.

For Airbnb there is no lease, just the agreement that's already part of the Airbnb terms of service.  When searching for units that meet your criteria, some will offer a length-of-stay discount, and for those you'll see a rate crossed out with the discounted rate bolded, and then a total fee displayed below it that includes the cleaning fee and Airbnb's service fee.  The agreement and all payment is entirely through Airbnb per their terms of service.  

For the address you'll have the Airbnb confirmation with the address to print out.  And once you select a unit you can contact the owner in advance of booking to make sure they are OK with your length of stay and receiving mail there.  You might consider getting a P.O. box or some other mail service though just in case the unit ends up not being to your liking for whatever reason once you've actually stayed there for a while.  

• Like 3

SkyMan

Also on Airbnb, wondering about cancelation or early terminations? I guess you pay up front?  If you book a week and after a night or two you decide it's not what you wanted, can you get the rest of the stay refunded and pay just the daily rate for your stay plus fees?

Raven

I run an AirBnB and I would not refund you...but its up to each Host how they will deal with it.

You pay when you Book (at least our setup is like that) and your reservation block the calender and I might not be able to find other Guest with short notice if you change your mind..thats why, no refund.

AirBnB is just a booking site...each Host setup their own rules. So if a Host will refund you, it will only be the payment to the Host, not the AirBnB fee.

• Like 1

SkyMan

Understandable. I guess was I was wondering something more on the line of the place not living up to its billing or being in an unsafe neighborhood or some reason more than just changing your mind. 

Davaoeno
59 minutes ago, SkyMan said:

Understandable. I guess was I was wondering something more on the line of the place not living up to its billing or being in an unsafe neighborhood or some reason more than just changing your mind. 

I've stayed at BnBs whose ads grossly misrepresented the place and when I complained they used the " oh I could have rented to someone else"  ploy.  

Raven

Read the Reviews of the place, it will give you an idea how the place is and chat with the Host before Booking.

It doesn't matter what excuse you come up with for not staying longer, it will still be "change of mind" for the Host.

When you book at our place it shows:

Strict

Full refund for cancellations made within 48 hours of booking, if the check-in date is at least 14 days away. 50% refund for cancellations made at least 7 days before check-in. No refunds for cancellations made within 7 days of check-in.

...otherwise Guests just book, keep seaching for a "better place" and then cancel the first booking... so Read the Reviews and chat with Host to have your questions answered and then there should be no reason to cancel or "change your mind"

But even we have strict cancellation policy, we always talk to our Guests and find a solution - no point in having disappointed Guests.

• Like 2

davedude

Skyman you might check out lyft also, I use it instead of uber, seems to be cheaper and it works fantastic. I must say I have not used it this year yet....  

Also check VRBO vacation rental by owner. I think they have been around long before airbnb but I shop both .  I used VRBO to rent condos in Manila back in the day. Pretty fabulous. I never look at hotels anymore, first thing i hunt for is a short term rental via airbnb or vrbo. 

There will be place it does not work, like my trip to Fredericksburg Texas. They had nothing but overpriced junk rentals, really bad. Ended up getting a motel room there.  YMMV.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

SkyMan
Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, davedude said:

Skyman you might check out lyft also, I use it instead of uber, seems to be cheaper and it works fantastic. I must say I have not used it this year yet....  

I actually noticed Lyft for the first time yesterday as I was hunting around Delta's website for an award ticket and Delta mentioned they were partnered with Lyft so you earn skymiles using them.  Never heard of VRBO before.

Edited by SkyMan

Raven

VRBO is the same as HomeAway. AGODA and Houfy has private rentals too.

Houfy is a bit different than the rest... you Book & Connect direct with Host...no booking fees and no "booking site" controlling chat between Guest and Host.