Can't access money transfer

Kreole

I live on Siquijor island and normally, I go to Cebu every 2 months to replenish my bank account.  I transfer USD from my bank account in the US to myself via XOOM (PayPal) and then go to BDO bank in Fuente circle to pick up the money; from there to the money exchange and into my bank account at PNB, all locations are within one block of each other, so very convenient.  However, because of the lockdown, I cannot travel off the island, and there are no BDO branches on Siquijor.  PNB does not work with XOOM, so I have no way to access my funds. 

I do have a friend in the Cebu area to whom I can set up a transfer via XOOM so that he can do the exchange and place the pesos into my PNB account.  EXCEPT he cannot get a pass to go from Talisay to Cebu city.  Passes are only given out for "essential" reasons, so I am sure his running this errand for me will not qualify. 

I have never seen anything so profoundly stupid as the restrictions, which do not take into account the reality of people's needs to survive.  WTF am I supposed to do when my rent is due?  can't by food or other essentials?  Every avenue is closed.  And there are no BDO branches in Talisay either: only in Cebu city proper.  And there is no way to transfer money from my bank account in the US to my PNB account in the RP.

Edited by Kreole

I am certainly no expert here never having lived there.  But It looks like there are western unions in Siquijor.   Couldn't short term use western union yourself some cash?   I have a WU account that drops straight from my US bank to a BPI account.

Just a thought

Edited by Dave D
  • Like 2
liquido

Or XOOM money to yourself where you can pick it up at Palawan Pawn or Cebuana in Siquijor...etc? So, you pay a few bucks more..

• Like 1
to_dave007

Other people..  not just those in Siquijor.. having similar problems, and this virus situation is showing up some weaknesses in peoples "access to money" plans.

In my case, traditionally I needed to go to HSBC in the city to pick up my pension, which I then deposited into UCPB out here in province.  However, as luck would have it, I tested out the new (to me at least) bank transfer functionality at HSBC and I find I am able to transfer the money online from HSBC in the city to to UCPB here in town.  No need to go to the city any more.  Problem solved.

My old Canadian friend would "normally" go once a month to HSBC to use the ATM, then he would do some shopping on same trip.  Couldn't go to city so he used the ATM here in town, which then stopped working and took more than a month to get fixed (hard to get the parts here).  None of the other local machines worked, so he couldn't get money in town at all.. and he has staff to pay..  First time ever he needed to borrow money here.  He DID have an account at Metrobank with money in it..  in Talisay of all places..  but no ATM.  He's 84 this year and doesn't like change..  but I convinced him to move his Metrobank account to Balamban and get an ATM card on that account, so..  problem solved for now.

I know several other guys which some "issues" getting money here these days, but (other than for my old Canadian friend) I've learned not to ask questions.

@Kreole What other banks do you have in Siquijor?  Are you able to open local account there and wire transfer money from your home country to that account?  

Edited by to_dave007
  • Like 3
smokey

There is a bdo in talisay between the gasino fiesta mall and tabnook market also on bdo web site on my phone is this page which looks like you can transfer between bdo   and bpi

Screenshot_20200721-070125_Maps.jpg

Screenshot_20200721-074148_BDO Personal.jpg

Edited by smokey
cookie47
2 hours ago, to_dave007 said:

What other banks do you have in Siquijor?  Are you able to open local account there and wire transfer

Hi, A Google search found you "appear" have a Metro bank branch. 

We had your SAME problem with funds. and as seniors have been locked up for 5 months. We WERE previously cash payment people but NOW due to Covid19 pay ALL but one bill on line. (water company a bit behind in technology).. 

I found I could transfer funds directly using the Internet from an Australian Credit Union (which is attached to a major Bank) to our Metro  Bank account. The International intermediary is Western Union and the Metro Bank component is Via their head office in Manila. 

Now I no nothing about American banks but yours surely has international transfer. ability. I've done five transfers in the last 4 months without an issue at all, very smooth , the average is 4 days (fine for us). The reason it's 4 days is the credit union side slows it down.....Yes there is a lot of details that you have to fill out from the overseas bank the VERY FIRST time, but all my details (name, address, contact info in PH is saved.. I can send money NOW in about 4 mouse clicks. Anyway good luck, this might help...? 

BossHog

And there is no way to transfer money from my bank account in the US to my PNB account in the RP.

I use PNB also and the interbank transfers from a US account to a PNB dollar account are pretty smooth. They take out eight bucks or so on each transfer. Usually takes 24-48 hours. The branch manager should be able to advise you on setting up transfers. You really don't need more than your account name, account number, and the eight-letter Swift code: PNBMPHMM. 

We also are in a rural area and the ATMs don't always work. But you can use a PNB-issued debit card to withdraw up to 20k PHP cash at any Palawan pawnshop over the counter.

I do understand your frustration and hope this helps. Good luck!

• Like 2
Kreole

Thanks.  I will check in with PNB to see if the Larena branch can handle the transfer.  Otherwise I am stuck in Siquijor and can't go to the Cebu branch.  Some years back they did not have this service so I did not think to inquire again.

• Like 2
  • Administrator
Dafey
5 hours ago, liquido said:

Or XOOM money to yourself where you can pick it up at Palawan Pawn or Cebuana in Siquijor...etc? So, you pay a few bucks more..

Can't you just Xoom the cash to a pawnshop in Siquijor?

Kreole
3 hours ago, Dafey said:

Can't you just Xoom the cash to a pawnshop in Siquijor?

I never thought of that.  Palawan has 2 branches here.  I will inquire.  BTW, XOOM is strangely offline and has been for a couple of days, maybe more.  Of course that adds greatly to the complications.  Hopefully, I can now get money transferred directly to my PNB account.  If I can, then I will no longer use XOOM.

One very dysfunctional problem with PNB (and maybe other banks in the RP) is that their affiliate branches are not directly coordinated with each other.  They act as independent franchise.  In order for me to transfer money from one branch to the other I have to pay a 200 peso fee, in addition to keeping 2 different balances, one for each bank branch.  

The reason I have kept my Cebu PNB account is because I can get a much better rate of exchange in Cebu than Siquijor.  Otherwise, I would eliminate the Cebu branch.  

Jim_in_Jax
57 minutes ago, Kreole said:

BTW, XOOM is strangely offline and has been for a couple of days, maybe more.

I was able to log into Xoom just fine.  It could have started working since you posted this or, it could be I was able to get to the US site because I use a VPN.  I didn't transfer any money but everything seemed to look okay when I searched around the site.

SkyMan
2 hours ago, Kreole said:

One very dysfunctional problem with PNB (and maybe other banks in the RP) is that their affiliate branches are not directly coordinated with each other. 

Which is why I like BPI which is not perfect but at least if you go into a different branch you aren't treated like a bastard stepchild.

• Like 1
  • Administrator
Dafey
4 hours ago, SkyMan said:

Which is why I like BPI which is not perfect but at least if you go into a different branch you aren't treated like a bastard stepchild.

Not if you go to different island

SkyMan
1 hour ago, Dafey said:

I've transferred to another bpi account in Manila wo a charge. 

Kabisay-an gid
On 7/21/2020 at 7:23 AM, Dafey said:

My wife and I have used BPI branches interchangeably with no problems whatsoever - in Cebu City, Lapu-Lapu, Ormoc, Baybay, Tacloban and Metro Manila.

They require an ACR-I card for any non-citizen who wants to open a new account, even if they're married to a citizen.

Most branches I've been in won't exchange currency for you if you don't have an account with BPI. 

Edited by Kabisay-an gid
  • Like 1