Goetz1965

Refridgerators - whats your experiences with different brands

Goetz1965

I plan to buy a new bigger ref but besides googling a lot I like to know peoples experiences especially reliability over the years.

Actually I have a 2-door Samsung ref, (Freezer on Top), Inverter, 7.4cuft and so called NoFrost system.
Its 4 years old ans still runs smooth, never had any issue. The NoFrost really is great as theres never deicing needed at all.

So for a new ref I would consider Samsung, but I also would like the freezer unit in the down, but most refs with that are non Samsung.
So thats why I need experiences from other people, wich brand you have, and is it working smooth?

• Like 1

BossHog

We have quite a few refs. Just walked around and looked at the brand names. One's a Sharp. One's a Samsung. Another a Condura. The drink display ones are Fujidenzo. The deep freezers are G.E.. They all work fine. If your electric supply fluctuates much consider getting an AVR.

Some of the cheaper ones say they are 'tropicalized' whatever that means. I'll let the experts weigh in.

Samsung is a good brand. They have some really good refs for domestic use. Again, stick an AVR on it to protect your investment. Samsung's not the cheapest but probably the best you'll easily find in country.

• Like 2

Raven

Have an Electrolux for more than 5 years...no problems with it, freezer on top, NoFrost

P_20200717_192957_vHDR_Auto.thumb.jpg.fb78be5268ff4a8dd1df56a276bb37db.jpgP_20200717_193040_vHDR_Auto.thumb.jpg.c8f4ebef45b9c5f9cc032118a58b7538.jpg

fivestarph

I have a Fortress fridge which I bought in Hong Kong in 1982  and brought into Cebu in 2002 which operates on 220v 50 cycles and it is still working perfectly although the rubber beading round the door does not totally seal. Capacity about 7.5 cu ft.

SkyMan

Just bought an LG ref (freeze on top) at SM Appliances month and a half ago so of course it's still working great. It replaced a Panasonic 9ish cu ft freezer on top which was not frost free but worked fairly well for like 11 years. 

Now may not be a great time to buy. When I bought mine they had no stock other than floor models because the supply chain was still messed up. I don't know if that's improved.  You may be ok getting a floor model but you might want to wait until they have better selection. 

Dafey

We have a big ass LG, freezer on the bottom and love it. Wish they had automatic ice makers, I'd put in a filter for that.

• Like 2

SkyMan
11 hours ago, Dafey said:

We have a big ass LG, freezer on the bottom and love it. Wish they had automatic ice makers, I'd put in a filter for that.

Regarding the ice maker,  our water is currently filtered for sediment but our new house will also have a softening system and the kitchen water will have a UV for cooking/drinking and ice maker. 

• Like 1

smokey

LG        2005 model   110 elecrric

20200717_191659.jpg

Goetz1965

Thanks for the Input, I just start looking around now. 
Just dont want to pay over 30k for a bigger one, but I do want a larger freezer so more longterm storage possibility.
I guess I will find something between 12-15cuft for that.

rfm010

Panasonic inverter type about 330 l so just under 12cf.  Wish it was 14.   Bottom freezer.   Has run well, had to fix a freezer drawer that was a touch too narrow for it's tracks and would run off them.   Door handle proved too weak and began to split, fit a strip of wood behind it and screws through the front to hold, barely noticeable.  Little things that shouldnt happen.  Samsung would be the start of my search for a replacement, but could go with panasonic again if i got the right price which i likely would not given our current one came from bro in law before he moved to the states and wife squeezed him nasty tight in getting the price down.  

Ozepete
Posted (edited)
On 7/18/2020 at 4:45 PM, Goetz1965 said:

Thanks for the Input, I just start looking around now. 
Just dont want to pay over 30k for a bigger one, but I do want a larger freezer so more longterm storage possibility.
I guess I will find something between 12-15cuft for that.

We run a two door (vert) LG like Smokey's in the kitchen and a top opening freezer in the store room as a back up.  The kitchen fridge / freezer is accessed constantly during the day while the chest freezer only every other day or so. This means less power consumption and the chest freezer holds over longer if there s a power outage.  

So perhaps consider keeping your present fridge / freezer and buy a chest freezer to back it up... BTW brands mean nothing these days, most known fridges are very good.

Edited by Ozepete
  • Like 1

cookie47

We've had a Panasonic (freezer at the bottom) fridge for about 15 months, nearly 6 foot high.. Not a long time as fridges go but hasn't missed a beat. Purchased in SM Mobolo. 12 year compressor warranty, "Apparently".,, Says Japanese quality on the front sticker, but rear sticker says assembled in Thailand :shocked:. Quite happy overall.. 

hyaku
On 7/17/2020 at 2:42 PM, Goetz1965 said:

I plan to buy a new bigger ref but besides googling a lot I like to know peoples experiences especially reliability over the years.

Actually I have a 2-door Samsung ref, (Freezer on Top), Inverter, 7.4cuft and so called NoFrost system.
Its 4 years old ans still runs smooth, never had any issue. The NoFrost really is great as theres never deicing needed at all.

So for a new ref I would consider Samsung, but I also would like the freezer unit in the down, but most refs with that are non Samsung.
So thats why I need experiences from other people, wich brand you have, and is it working smooth?

Samsung seems to be the best based on strength. I have had problems with thin plastic moldings and racks on the door panel breaking before. I had take a door off and fill the weak parts with epoxy resin.

Give the plastic a bit of squeeze when buying it and you will find Samsung is one of the best.  

cookie47

A lot of posters have mentioned handles.

The panasonic fridge mentioned in my other post does not have handles.
Both fridge and freezer has molded inserts within the edge/thickness of the door panels.

Works well.

Sent from my MI MAX using Tapatalk

• Like 1