Flying in and out of the Philippines

SkyMan
2 hours ago, Headshot said:

I suspect they will end when there are no more infections in China. Of course, there may be other restrictions on flying through other countries as the pandemic spreads.

Yes, making plane reservations right now is kind of a crap shoot.  No idea what the virus situation will be when it comes time for your flights and how gov'ts will react or over react as the case may be.  

• Replies 535
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SkyMan

• to_dave007

• papimafioso69

• Dafey

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This travel report comes to you courtesy of my Canadian friend Bill..  age 62 or 63.  Married to Filipina with 1 child, not yet on 13A visa so entering PI as tourist.  His documentation included his P

We just landed in Manila . The process was really easy . They helped us through everything . It took awhile but I like the fact that they’re careful . Hopefully we get a negative test and can continue

A good friend just travelled back to the UK from Cebu (August 7th) with Qatar Airways, took 19 hours in total with a 2 hour stop over in Doha, which is normal.  Was never asked for any of the pap

Posted Images

SkyMan

I'm glad the Taiwan ban was lifted.  Maybe someone pointed out to DU30 that Taiwan isn't really China.  To ban Taiwan one would logically have to also ban Thailand, Japan, Singapore, and S. Korea which have more cases. 

Edited by SkyMan
  • Like 1
8 hours ago, to_dave007 said:

Is there any end date to these restrictions..  or are they indefinite?

No, it is just short time. Already, they lift ban for OFW in HK, so ban for OFW transiting HK is the next logical step. Capacity demand will increase very soon and CP will be flying regular again.

https://cnnphilippines.com/news/2020/2/18/ofw-hong-kong-macau-travel-ban-covid.html?fbclid#.XkuHiYwVh-g.twitter

Edited by Cgu
Paddy
6 hours ago, Cgu said:

Already, they lift ban for OFW in HK, so ban for OFW transiting HK is the next logical step.

Lifting the ban on HK and Macau was to enable OFWs working in those places to return to work. Lifting the ban otherwise (ie transiting HK) will probably depend on a) the progress of the virus and b) the ability of other OFWs to reach, and maybe return from, their destinations. 
As far as I am aware, it’s still possible to get to Europe, the Middle East and North America without going through Hong Kong. 

• Like 2
BossHog
On 2/6/2020 at 5:12 AM, to_dave007 said:

Yesterday we asked at Immigration in Mandaue "will we be permitted to enter Cebu if we arrive on Cathay Pacific from Hong Kong"..  The answer "NO !!!  You will be denied entry even if you just transit through Hong Kong."  No idea how long this will last.

The below seems to be the latest from BI. Issued on the 18th but they re-posted it on their FB page this afternoon (the 21st) so it's the most recent thing I could find.

Biggest change I can see is that it's not just permanent residence holders who get the exemption now but also "Foreign nationals accompanied by a Filipino spouse or parent." So that includes those who can avail of the Balikbayan privilege (which includes a lot of us, I suppose.)

86734087_1610936972378337_3308775657319694336_n.thumb.jpg.7cdf979296dbbd3e6b890d9514e933c7.jpg

Edited by BossHog
inserted link
  • Like 2
musicman666

I need to get in and out of the philippines ....what’s the sure fire route without any quarantine issues ..?

Paddy

Doesn’t it rather depend on where you are and where you want to be later?

In any event, avoid Hong Kong, Macau and mainland China and you might want to consider avoiding S Korea and Japan. Italy is probably not a good idea too.

Edited by Paddy
  • Like 2
  • Administrator
Dafey

where are you coming from?

Paddy

Based on recent news from Cebu...I’d definitely avoid Korea. You should be ok with Taiwan - but I wouldn’t book through there. 

Choices are getting to be extremely limited by the look of it. If you’re in a place that anyone flies direct from - take the direct flights. 

Since, I assume, you are not a Philippines citizen or resident, the government is unlikely to care where you fly OUT to - so you needn’t either unless you want to come back of course!

Oh and before you book, read the travel advisories on the web site of the airline with whom you intend to fly.

Edited by Paddy
Paddy

There are three main things to consider when booking flights to / from the Philippines at the moment:

1. What is your risk tolerance for sharing an aeroplane / terminal with potential virus carriers?

2. Will the Philippines actually let you enter the country from the last place you took off from (assuming the airline did not prevent you from boarding)?

3. What will your “recent” travel history be for any virus related landing questionnaires you may well be required to complete?

if you have low risk tolerance - don’t travel. 
For 2 and 3 stay up to date with orders and advisories from all relevant governments and airlines. They’re NOT THAT HARD TO FIND!

For 3, as a number of Koreans are discovering, your travel history may well result in retrospective action. 

musicman666
2 hours ago, Dafey said:

where are you coming from?

Thanks guys ..I’m coming from Hong Kong most likely ...I think I might shelve the idea for a while...seems a bit risky at present. 

Paddy
19 minutes ago, musicman666 said:

I’m coming from Hong Kong

If you’re not a Philippine national or resident you will not be able to fly in from Hong Kong - plus you’ll have to wait at least 14 days after leaving Hong Kong before you can travel here (without quarantine implications)

jcboytoys

Good choice! I just changed my flights from Cathay to PAL to avoid quarantine possibilities!

Edited by jcboytoys
  • Thanks 1
mikewright

Flying out of MCIA tonight with AirAsia, good to see temperature  check being done on all passengers at check-in.

• Administrator
Dafey

MANILA, Philippines — Flag carrier Philippine Airlines (PAL) has laid off 300 workers as part of the company’s efforts to mitigate losses.

PAL said it completed yesterday a retrenchment process resulting in the separation of about 300 ground-based administrative and management personnel.

PAL said the retrenchment process is part of a business restructuring initiative to increase revenues and reduce costs.

“The streamlining will strengthen the company in the wake of losses sustained in 2019, aggravated by the ongoing travel restrictions and flight suspensions to areas affected by COVID-19,” the country’s flag carrier said.

According to PAL, the affected employees will receive appropriate separation benefits, additional trip pass privileges, and assistance in the form of career counseling and outplacement support.

The airline has also implemented a voluntary separation initiative for long-serving employees.

PAL said other initiatives under its business restructuring include revenue generation from an optimized route network and new ancillary products, more aggressive cost-management efforts, and investment in digital technology.

The airline has been striving to return to profitability after being in the red in the last couple of years.

The company widened its losses in the first half of last year as expenses shot up.

It has yet to release its full year 2019 financial statement.

The last time PAL finished a year profitable was in 2016 despite net earnings falling 39 percent year-on-year then.

By 2017, PAL incurred a net loss of P7.3 billion from a P4.13 billion profit the previous year on higher expenses.

PAL’s net loss was reduced to P4.33 billion in 2018.

https://www.msn.com/en-ph/money/companies/pal-lays-off-300-workers-as-losses-mount/ar-BB10wNmc?ocid=spartandhp

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2