Flying in and out of the Philippines

SkyMan

PAL MOUNTS SPECIAL FLIGHT TO FERRY STRANDED PASSENGERS

Philippine Airlines will be mounting special flights on FEBRUARY 10, 2020 MONDAY to assist passengers stranded as a result of the cancellation of all PAL flights to and from mainland China for the month of February, amidst the ongoing coronavirus (nCoV ARD) situation.   

The special PAL flights serving the Manila-Xiamen and Xiamen-Manila routes will be staffed with pilots and cabin crew who volunteered for the service.  The flag carrier plans to use its 199-seater  Airbus A321 aircraft for the planned mission.

The inbound flight from Xiamen will enable Filipino citizens and holders of Philippine permanent resident visas to fly back to the Philippines.  The outbound flight from Manila will allow Chinese and other non-Filipino nationals to return to mainland China via Xiamen Gaoqi International Airport, which is a gateway to other points in China.    

The flag carrier was compelled to cancel its mainland China flights since February 2, after the Philippine Government imposed a ban on travel of Filipinos to mainland China, Hong Kong and Macau, along with restrictions barring foreign nationals from China from entering the Philippines (except for those holding Philippine-issued Permanent Resident Visas).

Flight PR 334 will depart Manila for Xiamen at 7:30AM on February 10, arriving at 9:55AM.   The return PR335 leg will depart Xiamen at 11:05AM, and arrive in Manila at 1:50PM on February 10.

These special flights are subject to final government approvals, including the waiver of the Filipino travel ban for concerned pilots and cabin crew, who will have to submit to home quarantine for 14 days after their return to the Philippines.  At present, 64 PAL crew members are undergoing the mandated 14-day quarantine after flying in from China prior to the imposed travel ban.  All PAL crew members are Filipino nationals.

• Thanks 1
  • Replies 535
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SkyMan

• to_dave007

• papimafioso69

• Dafey

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This travel report comes to you courtesy of my Canadian friend Bill..  age 62 or 63.  Married to Filipina with 1 child, not yet on 13A visa so entering PI as tourist.  His documentation included his P

We just landed in Manila . The process was really easy . They helped us through everything . It took awhile but I like the fact that they’re careful . Hopefully we get a negative test and can continue

A good friend just travelled back to the UK from Cebu (August 7th) with Qatar Airways, took 19 hours in total with a 2 hour stop over in Doha, which is normal.  Was never asked for any of the pap

Posted Images

Paddy

CX was my airline of choice for years although when I flew in back in 2018 I came PAL direct from Toronto. I had treated myself to a business class seat and it was a pleasant flight (except for the T2 baggage hall chaos at NAIA). 

Right now @to_dave007 you’re down to wait and see or cancel and rebook via Japan or Korea or PAL direct. Who knows how long those options might remain? I can’t say I envy you your choices.

I think there might be an “out” if you’re on a residential visa although I don’t think I’d want to put it to the test without some level of assurance beforehand. Of course, testing it means that flights to and from HK still have to exist - and that’s probably questionable for the near future. 

• Like 1
fivestarph

What I found interesting is that Cebu Pacific and PAL have drastically reduced their Cebu to HKG and vv flights whilst Cathay pacific have maintained their twice daily flights even with minimal passengers.

Foreigners with 13a status are permitted to land but are subject to 14 days quarantine.

fivestarph

Seems there is a change in Policy. Just read this on the CX site.

SAR.jpg

lamoe
12 minutes ago, fivestarph said:

SAR.jpg

If they can build a 1,000 bed hospital (warehouse)  quickly they can build a "quarantine until next flight" facility for transiting passengers

Get on bus on tarmac to facility - bus to plane

From my experience with Chinese airlines / cancelled flights due to hurricane - ain't gonna happen

Availability of connecting flights depends on other airline willing to fly in / out mostly empty.

Edited by lamoe
to_dave007
1 hour ago, Paddy said:

Right now @to_dave007 you’re down to wait and see or cancel and rebook via Japan or Korea or PAL direct. Who knows how long those options might remain? I can’t say I envy you your choices.

I think there might be an “out” if you’re on a residential visa although I don’t think I’d want to put it to the test without some level of assurance beforehand. Of course, testing it means that flights to and from HK still have to exist - and that’s probably questionable for the near future. 

Looks like Cathay is offering full refunds if I decide to go that way.  The flight isn't until May..  so I plan to just wait few weeks and see what happens.  LOTS can happen between now and then.

• Like 1
fivestarph
1 hour ago, fivestarph said:

SAR.jpg

Looks like I read this wrong. It appears the Philippine Govt is still barring travel to China/Hong Kong/Macau for Philippine Passport holders.

Edited by fivestarph
SkyMan
1 hour ago, to_dave007 said:

Looks like Cathay is offering full refunds if I decide to go that way.  The flight isn't until May..  so I plan to just wait few weeks and see what happens.  LOTS can happen between now and then.

I'm not sure what Canadian rules are but if they go the way of the RP you might not get back and if you, 2 weeks quarantine awaits.  That's the current situation.  And if that holds, is Cathay P going to keep flying just Pinoy and 13As?

Edited by SkyMan
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
54 minutes ago, SkyMan said:

I'm not sure what Canadian rules are but if they go the way of the RP you might not get back and if you, 2 weeks quarantine awaits.  That's the current situation.  And if that holds, is Cathay P going to keep flying just Pinoy and 13As?

I would not be betting that with a permanent residency you will be allowed in. Reports saying that ALL foreigners were not allowed in, only Filipinos...

32 minutes ago, fivestarph said:

As a matter of curiosity is the ban on Filipino Passport holders wishing to exit Cebu to Hong Kong strictly enforced?

Yes, not only exiting HK, but also transitting HK, meaning no Filipino passport holder will be allowed out. Simply put, Filipinos cannot leave the country by using Cathay Pacific.

Edited by Cgu
to_dave007
54 minutes ago, SkyMan said:

I'm not sure what Canadian rules are 

AND..  the rules can change quickly..  No guarantee that the rules today will still be the same in 2 weeks.. let alone for my outbound trip in May and inbound in June.  We are dealing with the rules in Canada.. the rules in Philippines and the Cathay Pacific operating decisions.  Any ONE of them can make a normally easy trip rather painful.  Right now it seems highly likely that additional restrictions are likely.

57 minutes ago, SkyMan said:

2 weeks quarantine awaits. 

I will not travel AT ALL if I think I will need to be quarantined.  Better to just stay put.

• Like 2
cookie47
44 minutes ago, to_dave007 said:

not travel AT ALL if I think I will need to be quarantined.  Better to just stay put.

Yep, agreed,, have cancelled our trip to Singapore. As was pointed out by i think Headshot,, Its probably better to hunker down in Your own home and have full control over your situation rather than living in an environment where people are still going to work, and of course things might change to the point of getting stuck there and being quarantined on return. (whenever that would be). 

I've tried to contact Scoot regarding the bookings but at this point I've been on hold for a long time. Don't know how we will go, I don't now want to rebook (their usual method). Their website says cancellation only allowed due to Medical, Death in Immediate family, and something about connection delay over 4 hours.. 

Will call tonight, call center 24/7.

• Like 2
cookie47

Update re Airline.

Tried to contact Scoot by voice, Tried daytime and evening but on hold for so long and particularly on a mobile i gave up.

Found a web form to fill up

Has the option of selecting reason for cancellation request and asks for medical certificate.

Got an auto generated reply saying received, however due to demand expect up to 10 days for response.

We will wait...

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
fivestarph

Is a SRRV holder also classified as a Permanent  Resident as per a 13A?

SkyMan
2 hours ago, fivestarph said:

Is a SRRV holder also classified as a Permanent  Resident as per a 13A?

I would assume so for what that's worth.  I would also assume BBs would be ok.  However, it may be up to the discretion of the airlines and whether they would risk returning you on their dime.

While the BI may say you're ok, I would still wonder if that ok has been communicated to the airlines.  It's probably best to contact your airline to see what they say.

Edited by SkyMan