cookie47

Flying in and out of the Philippines

cookie47

Well, The Mrs and i are booked to go to Singapore on the 10th. Mmm

A big decision,,, stay or go,, Tickets booked for 6 weeks,(rebooking is available without penalty).. Two more diagnosed in the last hour in Singapore.
Their using an Island,, Palou Ubin as an Isolation facility about 10 Minutes by boat.

If things go down hill quickly in PH i recon Singapore might be better. It a pity i should have to think like that but??????. Dunno.

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

Edited by Dafey
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

lamoe

• Thanks 1

SkyMan

image.thumb.png.a614a049a072feaee31259ad0fdf6f76.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

JonnyBravo

Just curious if any of you were thinking about leaving the Philippines before this gets out of control? This is just my guess but I assume there will be more confirmed cases in the Philippines within the next week or so. I also assume it will be in Cebu, dumaguete, and Manila first then it will go from there. I also assume the rest of the world will stop all flights from the Philippines with 3 weeks or less. So the question is, do you leave now while you still can or will you tough it out? I’m not trying to be over dramatic I’m just thinking this is one of the most densely populated countries, so I think it will spread very quickly once it grabs hold. Hope I’m wrong tho... but I don’t think so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

cookie47

We  are still booked to leave on the 10th for 6 week's in Singapore

This booking was done about a week before the SHTF,,, At this point we are still going mainly due to daily updates from my PH Niece in Singapore.Shes there with her partner and 3 year old plus helper and going about their normal daily lives.. Scoot have offered refunds but i discovered ONLY on mainland China Flights, We can rebook to another date for $60 sg,, each.. So unless Scoot or a government dept forces our hand(which is fair enough) we are still going at this time of writing. If things get nasty in PH we can stay for 6 months if needed, 3 months plus a 3 month extension..

Of coarse logically there are at present more cases in Singapore than the Philippines so why would I risk it. Well life goes on...

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

Headshot
1 hour ago, cookie47 said:

We were (and are still) booked to leave on the 10th for 6 week's in Singapore

Knowing Singapore, I would think you would be as safe there as you would be staying in the Philippines. In any event, the medical care in Singapore would certainly be superior to the care here in the Philippines. You might get stuck there for longer than you've booked though. On the other hand, staying home and isolated from the rest of the world would probably be the absolute safest route you could take. I am hoping that, if there are more cases here in Cebu, they will have the sense to close the schools until this passes. Schools are the focal point for contagion for viruses. We know this couple  spent time in Cebu, but we have no idea where they went or how many people were exposed to them. It is very likely that this virus will take off here because of them.

cookie47
43 minutes ago, Headshot said:

You might get stuck there for longer than you've booked though. On the other hand, staying home and isolated from the rest of the world would probably be the absolute safest

Yes, both options were discussed with travelling being favoured. 

PeteHK

According to CNN Philippines press conference with MIAA staff, and immigration, quarantine etc, the quarantining for arrivals will be home quarantine for Filipinos and foreigners with permanent residence visas but not clear about what happens about Balikbayan privilege. Other foreigners not to be admitted to Philippines and airline should not allow boarding. Importantly, it seems Filipinos will be stopped at immigration here if they attempt to board flights to China, including HK and Macau. It seems from the press conference that there remains uncertainty about how the President's directive will be implemented.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

JohnSurrey
1 hour ago, PeteHK said:

According to CNN Philippines press conference with MIAA staff, and immigration, quarantine etc, the quarantining for arrivals will be home quarantine for Filipinos and foreigners with permanent residence visas but not clear about what happens about Balikbayan privilege. Other foreigners not to be admitted to Philippines and airline should not allow boarding. Importantly, it seems Filipinos will be stopped at immigration here if they attempt to board flights to China, including HK and Macau. It seems from the press conference that there remains uncertainty about how the President's directive will be implemented.

So if it carries on I may not be able to do a visa run to Singapore or HK etc  ?

Perhaps the 13a 

Headshot
1 hour ago, PeteHK said:

Yep, though the press conference suggested some level of monitoring by quarantining authorities. Anyway, for me and my wife we seem to be in the position where I can leave and travel to HK but my wife cannot, while she could return from there but I could not as I don't have permanent residence.

Maybe what anybody needing to make a visa run needs to do is go to Singapore instead of Hong Kong, since there is no restriction on foreigners unless they have been to China or its special administrative areas (such as Hong Kong). However, I would make that trip soon if you need to, as further restrictions may be placed on travel as the virus spreads. It is likely that, at some point, air travel will not be available at all until this has run its course. We have a trip planned to New Zealand in April. I'm hoping that this thing doesn't totally mess up our plans.

• Like 2

SkyMan

https://www.sunstar.com.ph/article/1842671/Cebu/Local-News/306-Cebu-flights-to-and-from-China-Hong-Kong-Macau-canceled?fbclid=IwAR15APt4ao-bbvV5JYvuoOTpHnXJPsWwAKAGnQxcoImW5mHiMNLDDRSh4wk

306 Cebu flights to and from China, Hong Kong, Macau canceled

February 3, 2020

CEBU'S air traffic to and from mainland China, Hong Kong and Macau has shut off, as airlines have canceled flights following President Rodrigo Duterte's temporary travel ban order as a precaution against the threat of the 2019 novel coronavirus acute respiratory disease (2019-nCoV ARD).

Steve Dicdican, general manager of the Mactan-Cebu International Airport Authority, said the ban is suspending at least 306 aircraft movements — both departure and arrival — to and from China and the two Chinese-ruled city states as the ban takes effect.

Dicdican warned that the number could still escalate as more cancellations are still expected.

Airlines flying to China from Cebu have halted their services from February 2, 2020, extending through the end of March for some routes.

Cebu is now restricting arrivals from Hong Kong, Macau and Chinese cities of Chongqing, Shanghai, Chengdu, Jinjiang, Xiamen, Nanjing, Guangzhou and Shenzhen, based on the list of canceled flights as of February 3, 2020.

With the travel ban, Dicdican expected air and passenger traffic at MCIA to plunge, with China being a strong contributor to international arrivals to Cebu.

“It’s affecting travel,” he told a media briefing Monday, citing the potential economic losses from the ban, which might have “drastic effect” on various sectors. (CSL)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

to_dave007

Watching the situation as it evolves, as I have Cathay Pacific flight to Toronto through HK departing May 16 and returning June 16..  Still lots of time .. so hoping everything is MUCH more clear before then.

Cathay Pacific is going to take a BIG hit from this.

Edited by to_dave007

to_dave007

Yesterday we asked at Immigration in Mandaue "will we be permitted to enter Cebu if we arrive on Cathay Pacific from Hong Kong"..  The answer "NO !!!  You will be denied entry even if you just transit through Hong Kong."  No idea how long this will last.

Today, the impact on Cathay Pacific becomes clear...  and if you have an upcoming flight on Cathay Pacific in next 6 months (as I do), you better pay attention.

Cathay Pacific asks 27,000 employees to take unpaid leave as coronavirus outbreak hit demand

HONG KONG: Hong Kong's flagship carrier Cathay Pacific is asking its entire workforce to take up to three weeks of unpaid leave, its CEO announced on Wednesday (Feb 5), as the airline battles a fall in demand caused by a coronavirus outbreak.

The request lays bare desperate times at Cathay, which was hammered last year by months of political chaos and protests in Hong Kong and is now being further hurt by the fallout from the virus outbreak.

On Tuesday, the carrier said it planned to cut about 30 per cent of capacity over the next two months, including about 90 per cent of flights to mainland China.

In a video message to the company's 27,000 employees, airline boss Augustus Tang said they were being asked to take up to three weeks leave with no pay between March and June. "I am hoping all of you will participate, from our frontline employees to our senior leaders, and share in our current challenges," he said.

"And we don't know how long it will last," he added. "With such an uncertain outlook, preserving our cash is now the key to protecting our business."

Full article here..  https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/asia/hong-kong-airline-cathay-ask-staff-take-unpaid-leave-coronavirus-12395946

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

Cgu

For any any carrier coming from China, HK or Macau the same applies. All foreigners will be denied entry, even if only transitting. The opposite is true going out, only foreigners will be allowed to fly out.

• Like 1

to_dave007
4 minutes ago, Cgu said:

For any any carrier coming from China, HK or Macau the same applies. All foreigners will be denied entry, even if only transitting. The opposite is true going out, only foreigners will be allowed to fly out.

And on TOP of that..  the airlines themselves must take drastic action to stay alive, and that may add further impacts.