softail

Filipinos starve as Duterte vows not to ease the world's longest lockdown

softail

Filipinos starve as President Duterte vows not to ease the world's longest lockdown

Jeepneys, with their cheerfully gaudy exteriors and packed-in seats, are a national symbol of the Philippines, a form of public transport known affectionately as 'kings of the road'. 

But almost all of them have been forced off the roads by possibly the world's longest and strictest coronavirus lockdown.

The situation has left many of the drivers destitute and desperate, with fellow citizens stepping in to raise money for them via Facebook groups.

Jowel Palaña, 41, a jeepney driver in Manila, told the Telegraph: "Every single day has been a struggle." 

He has not been able to work as a driver since March 15, when the lockdown began. Instead, he swept the streets in exchange for food from his local district leaders. He was unable to travel to see his wife, three children and their extended family outside the city - or send them any money to survive - for months.  

Mr Palaña's story is symbolic of the impact of the strict Covid-19 quarantine measures in the Philippines. It has seen 54,000 cases and around 1,400 deaths, a relatively low number considering the tolls in other countries from Brazil to the UK. 

However, the strict shutdowns have left the country's economy on its knees and its poorest citizens jobless and hungry. 

Dr Amado Parawan, from Save The Children in the Philippines, said the government's financial aid programme has already ended, leaving people struggling. 

"People are starting to complain due to the financial and economic hardship," he said. "We are expecting increasing cases of child undernutrition, the number of pregnancies, and child abuse." 

Under the strictest lockdown, known as 'enhanced community quarantine', no-one aged below 21 or over 60 years was allowed out at all, there was a 10pm-5am curfew, all offices, transport and schools were closed and only one family member was allowed out for essential food and medicine. This lasted across the country from March 15 to June 1, and has only been eased in some areas since then. 

Despite the wide ranging impact of the lockdown, fully reopening the Philippines while thousands of new cases are being recorded would put the country at risk of "pandemonium,” President Rodrigo Duterte said.

In remarks recorded on Wednesday, Mr Duterte said he wanted to avoid the mistakes of leaders including US President Trump and Brazil's leader Jair Bolsonaro.

“If we follow the examples of other countries by opening our entire economy and thousands upon thousands of new cases happen—then we are in deep s---.

Nevertheless, some quarantine measures were eased in some areas on June 1, and this  week some jeepneys were allowed back on the roads. Around 6,000 out of Manila's fleet of around 55,000 vehicles are back with disinfectant, compulsory masks, 50 per cent capacity and barriers between passengers.  

But even this could be shortlived. Since the slight relaxation of quarantine, there has been a surge in infections in the Philippines. It is now the second-worst hit in southeast Asia, after Indonesia. 

Like thousands of others, Mr Palaña knows he will soon have to restart driving - if and when he is allowed. 

"I need to get back to work no matter what the dangers are. I need to be tough in order to survive and put food on the table for my family," he said.  

https://ph.yahoo.com/news/filippinos-starve-president-duterte-vows-110508367.html

to_dave007

Back when the lockdown started.. around March, my neighbor started planting things, and building chicken cages.  His efforts have been productive.

He and his wife are both teachers...  I don't know if they get salary when schools are closed.

But for sure his efforts were far sighted.  No doubt there are many people struggling.

• Like 5

softail
43 minutes ago, to_dave007 said:

Back when the lockdown started.. around March, my neighbor started planting things, and building chicken cages.  His efforts have been productive.

He and his wife are both teachers...  I don't know if they get salary when schools are closed.

But for sure his efforts were far sighted.  No doubt there are many people struggling.

Not sure the folks in Tondo have that option

• Like 4

smokey

Look at testing i was reading that about 10%will test positive so if you test 500 you will get so many positive now test 1000 a day more positive usa has tested over 45 million  other places 500.000 thousand .  Plus many positive show no symptoms its only when it makes it way to someone with underling problems it can be deadly .seems the same as aids some get it die one year others still ticking 30 years later who knows  

• Like 3

SkyMan
Posted (edited)
39 minutes ago, smokey said:

Look at testing i was reading that about 10%will test positive so if you test 500 you will get so many positive now test 1000 a day more positive usa has tested over 45 million  other places 500.000 thousand . 

Exactly, the population is relatively limited so the more you test, the more you find, and the higher the per capita rate you get.  I'm not saying stop testing but realize there is a high percentage of the population that has already had it and will test positive.  More positive tests only reveal the extent and not the rate of spread.

Edited by SkyMan
  • Like 3

Dafey
31 minutes ago, SkyMan said:

More positive tests only reveal the extent and not the rate of spread.

But also allows contact tracing so they can find others that may be infected to make sure they isolate lessening the spread.

Got a buddy in Minnesota. The Filipina wives all hang out and had a 4th of July party at the lake and the guys hang out in the cabin and drink. Turns out one of the guys has the virus. Now the wife and kid test positive and they contact trace to the rest of the group so all get tested after a waiting period.

My buddy sends me a photo of he and his wife today partying at the lake again Sunday. (Did I mention he's not the sharpest knife in the drawer?)

Nobody takes this seriously until someone close to them gets sick or dies.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Kreole
1 hour ago, Dafey said:

How do you measuring suffering, the sick and dying from starvation, exposure, lack of regular medical care?  All being caused by the quarantine, not by the virus.  At some point the government is going to have to kill it citizens to prevent them from seeking unauthorized employment, food and care.  It certainly does not have the facilities to incarcerate them and no money to build new ones.  The jails and prisons are already overflowing.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

SkyMan
2 hours ago, Dafey said:

But also allows contact tracing so they can find others that may be infected to make sure they isolate lessening the spread.

I think contact tracing in a squatter area is pretty pointless.  Those areas are likely fully immunized already.  More testing will reveal more cases but how about the number of deaths?

• Like 4

cookie47
3 hours ago, to_dave007 said:

I don't know if they get salary when schools are closed.

Nope, My niece is a teacher at a private school,,, no pay... 

to_dave007
50 minutes ago, cookie47 said:

Nope, My niece is a teacher at a private school,,, no pay... 

then he's lucky he's picking his own food.

• Like 1

smokey
4 hours ago, Dafey said:

Got a buddy in Minnesota. The Filipina wives all hang out and had a 4th of July party at the lake and the guys hang out in the cabin and drink. Turns out one of the guys has the virus. Now the wife and kid test positive and they contact trace to the rest of the group so all get tested after a waiting period.

My buddy sends me a photo of he and his wife today partying at the lake again Sunday. (Did I mention he's not the sharpest knife in the drawer?)

So you way to help him is what build bunker take family underground stay there till virus gone?

Dafey

The point is if it’s suspected that you have the virus you should stay isolated until the results come in so as not to infect anyone else

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Headshot
Posted (edited)

The antibodies for this coronavirus are so short-lived (between two weeks to four months for most people) that there will never be herd immunity (either by catching the disease or through immunization). Of those that tested positive, but had no symptoms, 40% have NO measurable antibodies after two months. Of those who tested positive and had symptoms, 13% have NO measurable antibodies after two months. It now appears (in the studies I have read) that no measurable antibodies remain in most infected people only four months after infection. Therefore, all of these people can become infected a second or third or fourth time, with the outcome indeterminate for each infection. Numerous multiple infections have already been recorded. The only people who don't need to worry about reinfection are those who die from the disease. For those who say they aren't at all worried about this virus, I say good luck. You will need it.

I no longer post videos and articles (including scientific journals) about the coronavirus (because few on LinC Forums were watching them anyway), but I still watch and read them. There is a lot to be learned out there on the Internet, if somebody is interested in a subject. If you depend on MSM for your information, you can be assured that you are under-informed and likely misinformed. Get out into the real world, investigate numerous sources, and come to your own conclusions using your brain.

Edited by Headshot
  • Like 2

to_dave007

@Headshot  I think many people are waking up to the reality that regardless of what the science says now..  the simple narrative is that "Covid-19 is here to stay".. if not permanently, then certainly for a long time..  IMHO measured in years. And most people are just trying to figure out how to get their own lives back to some sense of normal within that context.  And it's causing more people to look more inward..  and more local....

• Like 2

to_dave007
Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, softail said:

Not sure the folks in Tondo have that option

I remember back to the big earthquake in Haiti that devastated the capital city Port-au-Prince that many people wisely left the city walk walking to the rural area immediately, knowing that food would be in short supply in the city. I'm not suggesting that anyone in Tondo should do that..  and i know many may no longer have rural roots.  but i would hope at least some return to their ancestral province.

It's certainly happened here in Tuburan. one man i know runs a thriving food outlet at USJR..  and sings and plays piano on weekends at some upscale places..  and he's basically out of work..  100%..  so he's returned to his roots.  Building himself a BBQ place right now by the river..  with himself as the live music.  It's s shame.. he was doing quite well when this hit. 

Edited by to_dave007
  • Like 2