Backing Into a Parking Space

Salty Dog

• Administrator
Salty Dog

I found this while cleaning out old documents on my PC. I thought members might get a kick out of it.

I know this has been discussed before, but If it's anything like the last time, it will create a spirited discussion of the pros and cons.

Of course there will be those who have read and analyzed it to the Nth degree, who will explain why it's the proper way to park. 

A few days ago, I was driving through a grocery store parking lot, when my forward progress was interrupted, and I was forced to sit and wait for yet another shithead to back his car into a parking space.  I’m not sure if I fully understand why this bothers me so much, but I have a few theories…

First, I believe there’s a lot of theatrics involved – hick theatrics.  It’s not absolute, there are exceptions to the rule, but I’ve noticed that many of the backwards parkers are tinged in hick.  You know, people in Members Only jackets, with a well-known brand loyalty to a particular motor oil, and that sort of thing?

It seems to be a matter of pride among this demographic to go into a parking spot backwards, like they’re making a heroic statement of some sort.  But that’s where I get stumped.  Why is it something to be proud of?  How does it make you more of a badass?

I’ve pondered this question for a long time and can’t come up with a satisfactory answer.  Sometimes when I’m home alone I even stand in front of a mirror, and say, “I back into parking spaces…” in a menacing growl.  But it just makes me look like an idiot.

Other groups that seem to believe backwards parking is a defining triumph include old men, exotic foreigners, the morbidly obese, douche nozzles, and standard blowhard assholes.  Again, I have no idea why.

Over the years I’ve asked people why they go in butt-first and have never received a decent answer.  Most make a joke out of it, and say, “So I can make a quick getaway!” And that just pisses me off.  As a joke it’s lame, and as an explanation it’s nonsensical.  Make a quick getaway?  From where, Red Robin?  Michael’s yarn store?  Sam’s Club?  What a hero!

The other stock answer is some kind of muddled treatise about safety.  They apparently believe it’s safer to back in than to back out. But seriously…  If a person views the backing of a car from a parking space outside a retail store as simply too risky, maybe they shouldn’t be driving at all.  Perhaps they should just stay home and play Sudoku, tend to the teapot, and watch “the Wheel?” Oh, wait!  Teapots get hot and can be dangerous, can’t they?  That might be even more terrifying than putting a car in REVERSE, and traveling at 1 mph.  So, strike that.

No, I think it all goes back to my original point, regardless of the phony explanations offered.  I believe it’s rooted in theatrics.  I think backwards-parkers are putting on a show of some sort, just showing off.  They believe it makes them seem nonconformist, jaunty, and to be marching to a different drummer.

You know, like people who are defined by their hatred of a popular TV show, or who tell everyone about their love of fast food pickles.

It’s all very confusing, as well as infuriating.  Because backing into a space takes a lot more time than backing out of one. Oh, I haven’t timed it with a stopwatch, but I know it to be true.  Backing-in is a big arrogant production and interrupts our forward progress. It’s an inconvenience to the rest of us and is both selfish and idiotic.

So yeah, the people who back into parking spaces can go ahead and start kissing my ass. But be sure to wear safety goggles, because you never know when something might go wrong.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
arentol

I remember that back in the States, most people parked forwards (driving into the space). I haven't been back there in 15+ years... is it still the same way now?

After spending time in Singapore, KL, Bangkok, Philippines, and HK, I notice that nearly everyone backs into spaces. I even remember one time in Singapore seeing a sign telling people to always back into spaces.

As for the article, it all just seems silly to me.. maybe someone with a bit too much time on their hands? :)

Aren

• Like 3
cookie47

Dunno what the Author has been smoking.

Reversing into a parking bay is common and as the sign shows compulsory in a lot of Australian country towns. I suppose some people have it, some haven't. Never have I been confronted with an inpatient driver whilst reverse parking, you just accept what's going on..

982346b9ad2177a963ddc4e15e599e5f.jpg

Sent from my MI MAX using Tapatalk

• Like 3
  • Administrator
Salty Dog
12 minutes ago, arentol said:

I remember that back in the States, most people parked forwards (driving into the space). I haven't been back there in 15+ years... is it still the same way now?

It's rare to see a car backing into a parking space where I live in Florida. Can't speak for the rest of the country though.

Of course a fair number of parking lots have one direction slanted parking where backing in really isn't a viable option.

aid8947017-v4-1200px-Angle-Park-Step-1.jpg

• Like 4
lamoe

In the states I usually pull in - easier to load trunk

Here always try to back in  - have a narrow wheeled cart that allows me to get to rear to load groceries.

In US, if a car is coming down the aisle, which are always much wider, they'll invariably stop and let you back out even if you're backing into lane closest to you and they're in the opposite one..

Here they'll speed up to get past you - backing or pulling out -. easier to see them if pulling out

Edit: if they'd stop like in US wouldn't need "parking space helpers" :1frog:

Edited by lamoe
  • Like 3
  • Administrator
Salty Dog
11 minutes ago, cookie47 said:

Reversing into a parking bay is common and as the sign shows compulsory in a lot of Australian country towns. I suppose some people have it, some haven't. Never have I been confronted with an inpatient driver whilst reverse parking, you just accept what's going on..

I guess it all depends on where you live or maybe even on which side of the car your steering wheel is on...

WTF, they don't even spell curb right down under...:biggrin_01:

images (3).jpgimages (2).jpgimages (1).jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
KID

cops in the states now have tag readers mounted on their cars so they are starting to eliminate backing into parking spots,and it pisses me off because I drive a low sitting 2 door sports coupe so I prefer to back into my parking spots because it is hard for me to see around the big SUV's and trucks when trying to back out and NO people dont always stop to let you out of the parking spot

Edited by KID
  • Like 4
lamoe
4 minutes ago, KID said:

cops in the states now have tag readers mounted on their cars so they are starting to eliminate backing into parking spots,and it pisses me off because I drive a low sitting 2 door sports coupe so I prefer to back into my parking spots because it is hard for me to see around the big SUV's and trucks when trying to back out and NO people dont always stop to let you out of the parking spot

They do in Rockford 

• Like 2
cookie47
4 minutes ago, Salty Dog said:
14 minutes ago, cookie47 said:

Read more  

I guess it all depends on where you live

Yes true,,, , I would like to understand the reasoning behind your photos. There must be one.. 

I do think though after all is said that if you park forward in to a bay (angle parking or otherwise ) and two slab sided furniture vans park beside you, your vision is impaired to see traffic for quite some distance particularly cyclists when reversing out,compared with driving out. More than once I've got my Mrs out to warn me of approaching traffic when reversing when the next vehicle (in my case on the LH side has blocked vision. And note,,, reversing vehicles have no right of way. That's why I've always fitted a reversing camera. (when they became available). 

• Like 3
KID
9 minutes ago, cookie47 said:

And note,,, reversing vehicles have no right of way

And thats what the insurance scammers rely on----you were in reverse so it was YOUR fault

• Like 3
cookie47
1 hour ago, Salty Dog said:

WTF, they don't even spell curb right down under...:biggrin_01:

A curb (American English, Canadian English), or kerb (Australian English, British English, New Zealand English; see spelling differences), is the edge where a raised sidewalk (pavement in British English; pavement or footpath in Australian English) or road median/central reservation meets a street or other roadway.

Ahh, now we got that strait, or is it straight. :ontopic:

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
lamoe
12 hours ago, cookie47 said:

A curb (American English, Canadian English), or kerb (Australian English, British English, New Zealand English; see spelling differences), is the edge where a raised sidewalk (pavement in British English; pavement or footpath in Australian English) or road median/central reservation meets a street or other roadway.

E-ther or EYE-ther is OK

Another benefit to pulling out is people don't walk around you as much. Put backup horn in, doesn't help.

Edited by lamoe
  • Like 2
Paddy

Where parking is aligned at 90 degrees to travel, there is arguably better visibility for both entering and leaving a parking space when backing in. Overall, the time taken is, my opinion, unchanged. 

If parking is not aligned at 90 degrees it’s better to follow the alignment. 

A large public utility that I worked at trained its drivers to back in and insisted that managers comply with their private vehicles. Most company vehicles were closed sided vans so visibility backing out would have been poor. 

My last couple of cars have had reversing cameras. Definitely one of the best things since sliced bread!

• Like 2
SkyMan
10 hours ago, cookie47 said:

This may be one of the very few cases where I prefer the British spelling.  I would be quite ok with dropping the U and C from English.  Funny though,  the Brits seem to normally be bent on cramming in as many useless U's as possible in the rest of their words.

Edited by SkyMan
  • Like 2
smokey

huuuuum yes sm cebu says head in only and 1 in 20 will do just that in spaces  marked what baffles me is how the 20 some handicapped spots wilk fill before the 500 other spots first  

• Like 1