Chris24

Very nice!  I really like the second level, that is a huge space with a lot of potential uses.  What is your long-term plan for how to use it?   Also, is that small extension (looks like hollow block) with the sloped metal roof an outside CR?   It looks like you ended up building an entire compound.

• Like 5
mikecon3

Thanks Chris! The upstairs is huge, we are using a lot of it for storage...charcoal and rice, stuff like that. The hollow block is the CR as you noted, and there is a dirty kitchen close to that.

We noticed that cell reception wasn't great in the house, so they built the bamboo hang out on an elevated position, so you can sit in there and get better reception.

We had to build a pen for the dogs, they were running off all the time, and for some reason, people in our area consider BBQ dog a necessity to have with their beer or Tanduay...to each their own...just don't let me catch them!

We are using it as a barn and as I said, a hangout. It's about a 15 minute drive from our house in town, but it is alot cooler...just a nice getaway.

• Like 1
to_dave007

What part of Philippines  are you located Mike?

Do you have a good water supply? If you even need more, that roof would be good collector.

• Like 2
mikecon3
2 minutes ago, to_dave007 said:

What part of Philippines  are you located Mike?

Do you have a good water supply? If you even need more, that roof would be good collector.

We're in southern Masbate. We have an excellent water supply on this farm, has water all year even in the dry months, so much so that our neighbors come over to get water. But you are right, with some gutters and barrels we could probably catch a lot of water.

The well is only about 20 foot deep. The only problem was that they should have gone another concrete ring or two lower...guess they got hung on a root or rock and stopped there...so it's another project for me to fix when I finally get home.

image.thumb.png.a5ba82ea68e78be03fe734c965b5474a.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
to_dave007
Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, mikecon3 said:

But you are right, with some gutters and barrels we could probably catch a lot of water.

Your roof is bigger then mine, and in a heavy rain I can catch 5000+ gallons in a couple hours... easily.  The rainwater is a more acidic (or less alkaline) than the groundwater in a limestone area, so it's great for watering plants.  The cows don't care.. but the plants do.

Edited by to_dave007
  • Like 3
mikecon3
Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, to_dave007 said:

Your roof is bigger then mine, and in a heavy rain I can catch 5000+ gallons in a couple hours... easily.

Wow...I had no idea and really hadn't even thought about it...thanks for the info! Water caught in a barrel is definitely a lot easier than having to pitch it!

Edited by mikecon3
to_dave007
Posted (edited)

My roof is about 2000 square feet.. and just eyeballing it yours looks just a bit bigger.

I did my best one day to measure the flow rate on a heavy rain and I estimate I was getting 50 gallons a minute.

I'm in north west Cebu. so not really so far from you.

Edited by to_dave007
mikecon3

You're right, not that far. We take the ferry to Bogo a lot, and drive down to Cebu City...but the traffic has gotten so bad the past few years we have started taking the other ferry direct to Cebu City.

SkyMan
3 hours ago, mikecon3 said:

I have been told that our local method is to paint the wood columns with used motor oil; evidently, they sell it just for that purpose…we’ll see how that works out!

I paint all my coco lumber with used oil and diesel, 50/50.  Seems to work ok but it does stink a couple days.  My house is over 10 years old now and my garage about 8yo.  i would just periodically check your concrete piers for mud tunnels and pour a puddle of that mix on top once in a while.

It looks like most of the floor is bamboo strips while some is plywood?  Is there an engineering reason for that?

• Like 1
  • Administrator
Dafey

Great report Mike, thanks for sharing.

Looks like the residents moved in before you got a COO!

image.png.cc21d154fd65e1ca6ac8295c3187f144.png

• Like 2
mikecon3
8 hours ago, SkyMan said:

It looks like most of the floor is bamboo strips while some is plywood?  Is there an engineering reason for that?

That is the main entrance to get in...so they put the plywood there around the opening to strengthen the floor around it because people would be walking up the stairs carrying heavy bags of whatever, quite possibly throwing them down right there. At least that's what I was told!

I have no idea why they didn't put a large door with stairs on one of the ends...we've talked about doing that now, should make it easier to carry stuff in and out.

• Like 1
Dave D

Thats actually pretty sweet.   Do the cows crap under there or do they know better?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
mikecon3
55 minutes ago, Dave D said:

Thats actually pretty sweet.   Do the cows crap under there or do they know better?

Yeah, they crap under there! We knew that going in...but now it's easier to shovel up and can be used as fertilizer. One of the daily chores for our caretaker.

to_dave007
3 hours ago, Dave D said:

I was raised on a farm.  Cows crap anywhere and everywhere, including on each other.

• Like 1