Speeding On Another Level

cookie47

cookie47

Ford Focus Speeds Past 700 kph (435 MPH) in Italy According to Police

8 July 2020, 15:17 GMT · BY ALEX OAGANA

Up until now, the fastest production Ford Focus in history was the latest RS, which could top 266 kph (165 mph) thanks to a 2.3-liter Eco-Boost four-cylinder massaged to deliver a healthy 350 horsepower and 440 Nm (325 lb-ft) of torque.

With that top speed being limited mostly via gearing and aerodynamics, you could say that there is a chance some tuner out there has modified the bejeesus of a Focus RS to top 300 kph (186 mph).

Both speeds are highly impressive for a compact hatchback, tuned or not, but neither compares to what a run-of-the-mill Ford Focus allegedly managed to achieve in Italy.

A young lady driving around the province of Alcona in a previous-generation Focus was apparently clocked at no less than 703 kph (437 mph). Subsequently, she had ten safety points deduced from her driving license, which she also had to give to the police, and now has to pay an 847 euro (approx. 960 USD) fine.

Apparently, the speed limit in the area she was caught trying to pass a jet airplane is set at 70 kph (43 mph), so that fine seems rather small for going ten times as fast as the limit.

Jokes aside, there was obviously either a hardware or a software malfunction with the speed camera that registered the car going that fast. That said, the real issue is with the local police, which failed to even check the numbers on the paperwork they sent to the speeder’s home.

Because of bureaucracy, she will need to actually pay the fine before going against the authorities and contest it so that she can at least get her license back.

Next time you hop in your Ford hatchback you should probably treat it more kindly and only give it the best fuel, it may reward you with some Bugatti Chiron-beating numbers on the highway when you expect it the least.

https://www.autoevolution.com/news/ford-focus-speeds-past-700-kph-435-mph-in-italy-according-to-police-145805.html

• Like 4
cookie47

This speeding issue has been around in Australia since 2003.

The reference noted below to the Datsun 120y (that in fact would not do 130 kph down a vertical mine shaft). The story was taken up by a Local TV station as the police would not back off. 

The vehicle was taken to a local race track and a professional driver attempted to drive the vehicle at the speed stated in the conviction. NO CHANCE. conviction withdrawn.. 

Last week, a police officer served an automobile seizure notice on a 20-year-old woman, Melissa, whom the camera had accused of doing 154 km/h (96 MPH) on the Hume Highway on September 24 where the speed limit was 110 km/h (68 MPH). The offense was accompanied by a twelve-month license suspension.

The officer on the scene understood that Melissa's 84-horsepower economy car, a three-year-old Mazda 2, was not making a high-speed run. Because of his doubt, an investigation was launched that uncovered even more errors in the camera system. On March 31, 2009, a driver was accused of going 122 km/h (76 MPH), and a court convicted him, imposing the $227 fine and demerit points against his license. Another driver on the same day was falsely accused of driving 118 km/h (73 MPH). Two more drivers were falsely accused in June 2008 and three more in 2007. All were actually moving at the speed limit of 110 km/h or less.

Those tickets are worth $15 million, and the state government is desperate to avoid a repeat of the 2003 incident where a 1975 Datsun 120Y was falsely accused of driving a speed the vehicle was incapable of reaching. The resulting firestorm of criticism forced $26 million in refunds

SkyMan
18 hours ago, cookie47 said:

The reference noted below to the Datsun 120y (that in fact would not do 130 kph down a vertical mine shaft).

Hahahahaha.

18 hours ago, cookie47 said:

Those tickets are worth $15 million, and the state government is desperate to avoid a repeat of the 2003 incident where a 1975 Datsun 120Y was falsely accused of driving a speed the vehicle was incapable of reaching. The resulting firestorm of criticism forced $26 million in refunds.

Yeah, seems to me when those speed traps are disproven once, all tickets issued by that one should be refunded.  And once there are 2 such machine failures, the whole system is suspect and should be refunded.  And if that same system is used in another country, those should be as well.  You are being criminally charged and your accuser is a machine that is proven flawed.

image.png.86c2e5e48e22720d7774a9ea462077e7.png

• Like 2
SkyMan

The Focus is a good car but 435MPH?  I think the Focus was introduced in europe in 99.  My X needed a new car in 00 so I asked a friend, car guy, and he said it won a lot of european awards and was now in the US so I bought her one and she really liked it as it was surprisingly roomy and large trunk area.  My daughter is still driving it with close to 300K miles.

• Like 1