Certificate Of Occupancy Questions

SkyMan

My neighbor had his house built 4-5 years ago.  Just getting it repainted now.  During this time he's been trying to get a Certificate of Occupancy and has had a number of unusual problems along the way to include the general contractor having a stroke a few months after the build and is now still in a coma, and his briefcase with many of the important documents was stolen.  Anyway, he thinks it should be done soon.  I asked him what the benefit was and he said that VECO will upgrade him from a construction connection which we both are on now to a permanent connection where they do some kind of bill leveling where your payment is the average of your previous years use rather than just what you use each month.  That's great in the northern US where your use can change significantly by season but here it doesn't seem that big of a deal.  

I'm wondering if anyone knows of any other value added by the certificate of occupancy?  Is that when you start paying property tax on the house and not just the lot?  Anything else? 

• Like 1
  • Administrator
Dafey
1 hour ago, SkyMan said:

VECO will upgrade him from a construction connection which we both are on now to a permanent connection where they do some kind of bill leveling where your payment is the average of your previous years use rather than just what you use each month. 

My guess is they just don't read the meter often and charge you what you paid last year. When they do read it they will charge you the difference from what you paid and the real usage. 

Again, just a guess.

smokey
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, SkyMan said:

My neighbor had his house built 4-5 years ago.  Just getting it repainted now.  During this time he's been trying to get a Certificate of Occupancy and has had a number of unusual problems along the way to include the general contractor having a stroke a few months after the build and is now still in a coma, and his briefcase with many of the important documents was stolen.  Anyway, he thinks it should be done soon.  I asked him what the benefit was and he said that VECO will upgrade him from a construction connection which we both are on now to a permanent connection where they do some kind of bill leveling where your payment is the average of your previous years use rather than just what you use each month.  That's great in the northern US where your use can change significantly by season but here it doesn't seem that big of a deal.  

I'm wondering if anyone knows of any other value added by the certificate of occupancy?  Is that when you start paying property tax on the house and not just the lot?  Anything else? 

Thats why you see houses with steel sticking out like they are never done advantage is more benefit to the  process of trying to sell .. our neighbor has had a temp connection over 2 years always complaining of electrical problems 

Edited by smokey
SkyMan
19 hours ago, smokey said:

our neighbor has had a temp connection over 2 years always complaining of electrical problems 

Ours has been that way for over 11 years and no problems other than those that affect everyone else.

smokey
Posted (edited)

Well go with flow my wife has some property she received over 30 years ago still not transferred in her name so why not keep you temp connection temp forever   no one says it cant be done and if it causes you problems in the years to come well peso cure all 

Edited by smokey
  • Like 1
SkyMan
1 hour ago, smokey said:

Well go with flow my wife has some property she received over 30 years ago still not transferred in her name so why not keep you temp connection temp forever   no one says it cant be done and if it causes you problems in the years to come well peso cure all 

That's why I'm asking, to see if there is some benefit to it.