Salty Dog

Steps to Take In Order to Vote in the 2020 U.S. Elections (Update September 15, 2020)

Salty Dog

Seal with white background

United States Embassy Manila, Philippines
Message for U.S. Citizens: July 4th Voting
July 2, 2020

Celebrate democracy this 4th of July by taking the necessary steps to vote in the 2020 U.S. elections!

In order to vote in the November 2020 elections, all overseas U.S. citizens must complete a Federal Post Card Application (FPCA) in 2020.  Whether you are a first-time voter or have already received ballots and voted absentee in past elections, you must complete an FPCA each year to participate in elections as an overseas absentee voter. 

Registering to Vote and submitting a ballot is fast, easy, and can be done from anywhere in the world! Follow a few simple steps to vote in the 2020 U.S. elections:

Register to vote:  Start by confirming your voter registration with your state.  Some states require absentee voters to register annually, so you may need to re-register.  Go to FVAP.gov to connect to your state’s voter portal to register to vote, request a ballot, and more.

Request Your Ballot: Most states provide the option to request ballots through their state election portals, which you can easily access via FVAP.gov.  You can also choose to complete a Federal Post Card Application (FPCA). The completion of the FPCA allows you to request absentee ballots for all elections for federal offices (President, U.S. Senate, and U.S. House of Representatives), including primaries and special elections, during the calendar year in which it is submitted.  FPCA forms that are correctly filled out and include a signature and date are accepted by all local election officials in every U.S. state and territory.  FVAP’s easy online assistant can assist you with completing the FPCA.  

Whether you request your ballot through your state’s portal or the FPCA, we encourage you to select the option to receive your ballot electronically (by email, internet download, or fax) when available.  This is the fastest way to get your ballot and ensures you have it in time to return a completed form before your state’s deadline. 

Receive and Complete Your Ballot:  States are required to send out ballots 45 days before a regular election for federal office, and states generally send out ballots at least 30 days before primary elections.  Most states allow you to confirm your ballot delivery online.

Return Your Completed, Signed Ballot:  Some states allow you to return your completed ballot electronically.  If your state requires you to return paper voting forms or ballots to local election officials by mail, you can do so through international mail, or a professional courier service.

Researching the Candidates and Issues:  Online Resources.  Go to the FVAP links page for helpful resources to aid your research of candidates and issues. Non-partisan information about candidates, their voting records, and their positions on issues are widely available and easy to obtain online. You can also read national and hometown newspapers online, or search the internet to locate articles and information. For information about election dates and deadlines, subscribe to FVAP's Voting Alerts ([email protected]). FVAP also shares Voting Alerts via Facebook (@DODFVAP), Twitter (@FVAP), and Instagram (@fvapgov).

Learn more at the Federal Voting Assistance Program's (FVAP) website, FVAP.gov.  If you have any questions about registering to vote overseas, please contact U.S. Embassy Manila’s American Citizen Services Unit at [email protected].

Remember, your vote counts!

For further information:

• See the State Department's travel website for the Worldwide Caution, Travel Advisories, Alerts, and the Philippines Country Specific Information.
  • Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
  • Contact the U.S. Embassy in Manila, Philippines, located at 1201 Roxas Boulevard, at +(63) (2) 301-2000, from 7:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Monday through Friday. After-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens is +(63) (2) 301-2000.
  • Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).
  • Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Headshot
Posted (edited)

This is funny. It assumes that you can actually send a postcard from the Philippines to the US. As far as I know, those routes are not yet open.

Edited by Headshot
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

SkyMan

Check your state's election rules.  I emailed my FPCA to my county election board in Ohio.  They emailed back something print sign scan and email back.  Unfortunately, the actual ballot has to be mailed in so I don't know how that will work if mail doesn't flow by Oct/Nov.

• Like 2

Dafey
2 hours ago, SkyMan said:

Check your state's election rules.  I emailed my FPCA to my county election board in Ohio.  They emailed back something print sign scan and email back.  Unfortunately, the actual ballot has to be mailed in so I don't know how that will work if mail doesn't flow by Oct/Nov.

Same in Florida. Fortunately I have family that will mail in the ballot after I send it to them...FedEx, UPS, Pigeon, whatever my choices are beside PhilPost

• Like 1

mikecon3
7 hours ago, SkyMan said:

North Carolina, I email my local election board for an absentee ballot, stating the reason why. I receive the ballot by email, and return by email. There is a block to check to receive all ballots that year, so once I get the first ballot, the others are emailed to me as well when they come out.

But I would imagine if you aren't registered in a particular state, then the postcard is about your only option. The consulate here in Jeddah does workshops to get people registered. Not sure if the embassy in Manila has outreach for that, especially under present circumstances.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Headshot
9 hours ago, mikecon3 said:

Not sure if the embassy in Manila has outreach for that, especially under present circumstances.

There isn't even a way to get to Manila from Cebu unless you have an onward ticket for leaving the country. As far as I know, the Embassy in Manila and Consular Office in Cebu City are closed for the duration. Besides, there is no way to travel to Cebu City from any other city or province under the new quarantine Cebu City has been subjected to, so visiting the Consular Office wouldn't be possible for most even if it was open.

mikecon3
3 hours ago, Headshot said:

There isn't even a way to get to Manila from Cebu unless you have an onward ticket for leaving the country. As far as I know, the Embassy in Manila and Consular Office in Cebu City are closed for the duration. Besides, there is no way to travel to Cebu City from any other city or province under the new quarantine Cebu City has been subjected to, so visiting the Consular Office wouldn't be possible for most even if it was open.

Thanks for stating the obvious, at this point in time. Maybe that's why I wrote at the end of the last sentence "especially under the present circumstances". The election is in November, who's to say that things won't start opening back up in August, September, or even October? If someone wants to vote, there's a way, that was the point of my post.

But thanks for the info on the consular office in Cebu, I was not aware that there was one there! That is the third new thing of interest I have learned this week from the forum.

Headshot
Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, mikecon3 said:

But thanks for the info on the consular office in Cebu, I was not aware that there was one there! That is the third new thing of interest I have learned this week from the forum.

It is on the lowest floor of the Waterfront Hotel in Cebu City (one floor down from the lobby), but it isn't open for normal business right now. There has never been an outreach on voter registration from the embassy to Cebu.

6 hours ago, mikecon3 said:

Thanks for stating the obvious, at this point in time. Maybe that's why I wrote at the end of the last sentence "especially under the present circumstances". The election is in November, who's to say that things won't start opening back up in August, September, or even October? If someone wants to vote, there's a way, that was the point of my post.

Even though I used part of your post for reference, my post wasn't directed solely to you. What is obvious to one may not be obvious to others. I was just giving information as it is, not being snarky. There are plenty here that will give snarky replies. If things open up here in time for people to send a postcard or visit the embassy or consular office to register, that will be great. With the way things really are, though, I'm not going to hold my breath. It is kind of like booking airline tickets for late July. It could happen, but it isn't likely. Governments weren't prepared for a pandemic, and they are all just playing it by ear. Things change every day, but not always in the direction we might like.

Edited by Headshot
  • Thanks 1

Salty Dog

Message for U.S. Citizens:  Returning Election Materials through the U.S. Embassy
July 30, 2020

Cast your vote!  Starting August 3, 2020, voters may drop-off completed voter forms and ballots at the U.S. Embassy in Manila, located at 1201 Roxas Boulevard, Ermita, Manila.  The ballot box will be located in front of the public entrance at the embassy from 8:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m., Monday through Friday, except on holidays.  Voters may also mail in completed forms and ballots to the address below, and the embassy will forward the items to the United States.  Please make sure that your voter document is in a pre-paid envelope or that it has sufficient postage.  Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, please expect delays with domestic and international mail.

American Citizen Services Unit (Consular)

ATTN: Voter Information

U.S. Embassy Manila

1201 Roxas Boulevard

Ermita, Manila, Philippines 1000

In order to vote in the November 2020 elections, all overseas U.S. citizens need to have completed a Federal Post Card Application (FPCA) in 2020.  Whether you are a first-time voter or have already received ballots and voted absentee in past elections, you must complete an FPCA each year to participate in elections as an overseas absentee voter. 

Registering to Vote and submitting a ballot is fast, easy, and can be done from anywhere in the world! Follow a few simple steps to vote in the 2020 U.S. elections:

1. Register to vote:  Start by confirming your voter registration with your state.  Some states require absentee voters to register annually, so you may need to re-register.  Go to FVAP.gov to connect to your state’s voter portal to register to vote, request a ballot, and more.

2. Request Your Ballot: Most states provide the option to request ballots through their state election portals, which you can easily access via FVAP.gov.  You can also choose to complete a Federal Post Card Application (FPCA). The completion of the FPCA allows you to request absentee ballots for all elections for federal offices (President, U.S. Senate, and U.S. House of Representatives), including primaries and special elections, during the calendar year in which it is submitted.  FPCA forms that are correctly filled out and include a signature and date are accepted by all local election officials in every U.S. state and territory.  FVAP’s easy online assistant can assist you with completing the FPCA. 

Whether you request your ballot through your state’s portal or the FPCA, we encourage you to select the option to receive your ballot electronically (by email, internet download, or fax) when available.  This is the fastest way to get your ballot and ensures you have it in time to return a completed form before your state’s deadline.

3. Receive and Complete Your Ballot:  States are required to send out ballots 45 days before a regular election for federal office, and states generally send out ballots at least 30 days before primary elections.  Most states allow you to confirm your ballot delivery online.

4. Return Your Completed, Signed Ballot:  Some states allow you to return your completed ballot electronically.  If your state requires you to return paper voting forms or ballots to local election officials by mail, you can do so through international mail, professional courier service, or through U.S. Embassy Manila’s diplomatic pouch.  You will need to place your ballots in pre-paid return envelopes or in envelopes bearing sufficient U.S. postage, in order for them to be delivered to the proper local election authorities once received by the U.S. sorting facility.  The Embassy does not sell U.S. postage.

You may drop off your completed ballots at the embassy’s public entrance from 8am to 4pm, Monday through Friday, except on holidays.  It may take weeks for mail to reach its destination if sent by an embassy or consulate.  All overseas U.S. citizens are advised to submit their forms and ballots accordingly. Ballots will be received and forwarded whenever submitted but you may want to consider using a courier service or other global shipping provider if submitting your ballot close to or after the stated delivery time for pouch mail.

Visit the FVAP website for helpful resources to aid your research of candidates and issues.  For information about election dates and deadlines, subscribe to FVAP's Voting Alerts ([email protected]). FVAP also shares Voting Alerts via Facebook (@DODFVAP), Twitter (@FVAP), and Instagram (@fvapgov).

Learn more at the Federal Voting Assistance Program's (FVAP) website, FVAP.gov.  If you have any questions about registering to vote overseas, please contact U.S. Embassy Manila’s American Citizen Services Unit at [email protected].

For further information:

• See the State Department's travel website for the Worldwide Caution, Travel Advisories, Alerts, and the Philippines Country Specific Information.
  • Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
  • Contact the U.S. Embassy in Manila, Philippines, located at 1201 Roxas Boulevard, at +(63) (2) 301-2000, from 7:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Monday through Friday. After-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens is +(63) (2) 301-2000.
  • Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).
  • Like 1

Salty Dog

Message for U.S. Citizens:  Drop Box for Election Materials added to the Veterans Affairs Regional Manila Office
August 7, 2020  

Cast your vote!  Voters now have the option to drop-off completed voter forms and ballots at either of these locations:

U.S. Embassy in Manila

Public Entrance

1201 Roxas Boulevard, Ermita, Manila

8:00 am – 3:30 pm, Monday – Friday, except holidays

Veterans Affairs Regional Manila Office

1501 Roxas Boulevard, Pasay, Manila

7:30 a.m. to 3:00 p.m., Monday - Friday, except holidays

Voters may also mail in completed forms and ballots to the address below, and the embassy will forward the items to the United States.  Please make sure that your voter document is in a pre-paid envelope or that it has sufficient postage.  Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, please expect delays with domestic and international mail.

U.S. Embassy Manila

1201 Roxas Boulevard

In order to vote in the November 2020 elections, all overseas U.S. citizens need to have completed a Federal Post Card Application (FPCA) in 2020.  Whether you are a first-time voter or have already received ballots and voted absentee in past elections, you must complete an FPCA each year to participate in elections as an overseas absentee voter. 

Registering to Vote and submitting a ballot is fast, easy, and can be done from anywhere in the world!  Follow a few simple steps to vote in the 2020 U.S. elections:

1. Register to vote:  Start by confirming your voter registration with your state.  Some states require absentee voters to register annually, so you may need to re-register.  Go to FVAP.gov to connect to your state’s voter portal to register to vote, request a ballot, and more.

2. Request Your Ballot: Most states provide the option to request ballots through their state election portals, which you can easily access via FVAP.gov.  You can also choose to complete a Federal Post Card Application (FPCA). The completion of the FPCA allows you to request absentee ballots for all elections for federal offices (President, U.S. Senate, and U.S. House of Representatives), including primaries and special elections, during the calendar year in which it is submitted.  FPCA forms that are correctly filled out and include a signature and date are accepted by all local election officials in every U.S. state and territory.  FVAP’s easy online assistant can assist you with completing the FPCA. 

3. Receive and Complete Your Ballot:  States are required to send out ballots 45 days before a regular election for federal office, and states generally send out ballots at least 30 days before primary elections.  Most states allow you to confirm your ballot delivery online.

4. Return Your Completed, Signed Ballot:  Some states allow you to return your completed ballot electronically.  If your state requires you to return paper voting forms or ballots to local election officials by mail, you can do so through international mail, professional courier service, or drop off at the U.S. Embassy in Manila or the VA Regional Office.  You will need to place your ballots in pre-paid return envelopes or in envelopes bearing sufficient U.S. postage, in order for them to be delivered to the proper local election authorities once received by the U.S. sorting facility.  The Embassy does not sell U.S. postage.

It may take weeks for mail to reach its destination if sent by an embassy or consulate.  All overseas U.S. citizens are advised to submit their forms and ballots accordingly. Ballots will be received and forwarded whenever submitted but you may want to consider using a courier service or other global shipping provider if submitting your ballot close to or after the stated delivery time for pouch mail.

Visit the FVAP website for helpful resources to aid your research of candidates and issues.  For information about election dates and deadlines, subscribe to FVAP's Voting Alerts ([email protected]). FVAP also shares Voting Alerts via Facebook (@DODFVAP), Twitter (@FVAP), and Instagram (@fvapgov).

For further information:

Salty Dog

Message for U.S. Citizens:  Absentee Voting Week is September 27-October 4
August 17, 2020

Be an Active Voter by taking the necessary steps to vote in the 2020 U.S. elections and participating in Absentee Voting Week!

In some states, voter registration and ballot request deadlines for the November 2020 are as early as October 5th.  Whether you are a first-time voter or have already received ballots and voted absentee in past elections, we recommend that you complete a Federal Post Card Application (FPCA) each year to ensure you are able to participate in elections as an overseas absentee voter. 

If you have already completed a Federal Post Card Application (FPCA) in 2020 and requested electronic delivery of your ballot, you will be receiving your blank ballot or instructions for how to access your ballot soon if you have not already received it.  If you are not sure about the status of your absentee ballot request you should contact your local election officials in the United States or check the status of your registration via your state’s voter registration verification website.

You may drop off your completed voting forms and ballots, addressed to your local election officials, during the following hours:

The U.S. Embassy’s public entrance from 8 a.m. to 3:30 p.m., Monday through Friday, except on holidays or the Veterans Affairs Manila Regional Office 7:30 a.m. to 3:00 p.m., Monday - Friday, except holidays. 

HELP SPREAD THE WORD ABOUT OVERSEAS VOTING

Please help spread the word to your friends, family, and colleagues that now is the time to start thinking about overseas voting.  Consider posting to your Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, or other social media account that you are an active voter and will be dropping off or mailing your Federal Post Card Application or completed ballot.  Use #ProudOverseasVoter to help get the word out about voting.

If you have never voted while overseas before, it is not too late. The process is easy ­-- just follow these steps:

1.      Complete a Federal Post Card Application (FPCA)

Whether you are a first-time voter or have voted absentee in past elections, we recommend that you complete an FPCA to receive your ballot this fall.  It allows you to register to vote and request absentee ballots for all elections for federal offices (presidential and state primaries, run-off, special, and the November general elections) during the course of the year in which you submit the FPCA.  Local election officials in all U.S. states and territories accept the FPCA.

The online voting assistant available at FVAP.gov is an easy way to complete the FPCA.  It will ask you questions specific to your state and tell you if electronic ballot delivery is possible.  No matter which state you vote in, we encourage you to ask your local election officials to deliver your blank ballots to you electronically (by email, internet download, or fax, depending on your state).  Be sure to include your email address to take advantage of electronic delivery.  The online voting assistant will generate a printable FPCA, which you can then print and sign.

2.      Submit the Federal Post Card Application (FPCA)

The FVAP online tool will walk you through the form and provide you with a PDF packet to print, sign and send directly to your local election official (LEO).  Some states offer online voter registration.  If your state requires you to return paper voting forms to local election officials by mail, you can do so through international mail, or courier service.  Place your voting forms in postage paid return envelopes or in envelopes bearing sufficient domestic U.S. postage, and address them to the relevant local election officials.  Another option is to drop off election materials at the Embassy’s public entrance from 8am to 3:30pm, Monday through Friday, except on holidays or the Veterans Affairs Regional Manila Office 7:30 a.m. to 3:00 p.m., Monday - Friday, except holidays. 

3.      Receive Your Ballot

After submitting your FPCA, most states allow you to confirm online your registration and ballot delivery selection.  States are now required to send out ballots 45 days before an election (September 19) for federal office (President, U.S. Senate, or U.S. House of Representatives) to any overseas U.S. citizen who has completed an FPCA. 

4.     Return Your Ballot

We recommend that if you plan to return your paper ballot to your election officials via the U.S. embassy, please return your ballot to by October 2 to account for transit times between overseas posts and local voting districts.  If you wish to drop off your ballot, or have a friend or colleague drop it off for you, place it in either a postage-paid envelope or envelope bearing domestic U.S. postage addressed to your local election officials. You can download the postage paid envelope from the FVAP.gov website 

If there isn't enough time to receive and send back your ballot before the election, use the Federal Write-In Absentee Ballot (FWAB)It is a backup ballot you can use if you don’t receive your ballot in a timely manner. If your official absentee ballot arrives after sending in the FWAB, fill out and send in the official ballot too. Only one will be counted.

After you send in your ballot, you can check if it was received by your election office. 

Your Vote Counts

Many U.S. elections within the past ten years have been decided by a margin of victory of less than 0.1%.  All states are required to count every absentee ballot as long as it is valid and reaches local election officials by the absentee ballot receipt deadline (differs by state). 

Be an educated voter.  Check out the FVAP links page for helpful resources that will aid your research of candidates and issues.   You can also read national and hometown newspapers online and search the Internet to locate articles and information. 

To receive information by email about election dates and deadlines, subscribe to FVAP's Voting Alerts ([email protected]).  FVAP also shares Voting Alerts via Facebook and Twitter.

If you have any questions about registering to vote overseas, please contact U.S. Embassy Manila’s Voting Assistance Officer at +63-2-5301-2000 or at [email protected]

For further information:

• Contact the U.S. Embassy in Manila, Philippines, located at 1201 Roxas Boulevard, at +(63) (2) 5301-2000, from 7:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Monday through Friday. After-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens is +(63) (2) 5301-2000.

Salty Dog

Message for U.S. Citizens: Voting Overseas – October 5 Registration and Ballot Request Deadlines in some States
September 9, 2020

Overseas absentee voting is fast, easy, and available anywhere in the world. Overseas voters who are eligible to vote can participate in all general, primary, and special elections for federal offices. Some states allow overseas voters to vote in state and local elections.

• Fast:  Most U.S. citizens can complete the voter registration and ballot request application online in a matter of minutes. Register to vote in just a few quick clicks or taps, wherever you are in the world.

• Easy:  It has never been easier to obtain information on the voting process for each state. U.S. citizens can go to FVAP.gov/citizen-voter to select their state from a U.S. map. Most states have options for voters to register and request ballots online. Some states also have options for eligible voters to submit registration forms and return voted ballots by email or fax.

• Anywhere:  U.S. citizens can vote from anywhere they roam, whether it’s the European countryside or a Pacific island. Voters can mail their completed and signed ballots using the local country’s international postal service or drop off the completed ballot package at the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate, and we’ll get it to the U.S. Postal Service for delivery to your election office. Be sure to sign your absentee ballot before sealing it in the mailing envelope. Local election officials will reject unsigned ballots.

You may drop off your completed voting forms and ballots, addressed to your local election officials, at:

·         U.S. Embassy Manila’s public entrance from 8 a.m. to 3:30 p.m., Monday through Friday, except for U.S. and local holidays. 

·         Veterans Affairs Manila Regional Office from 7:30 a.m. to 3:00 p.m., Monday - Friday, except for U.S. and local holidays. 

Voters may also mail in completed forms and ballots to the address below, and the embassy will forward the items to the United States. Please make sure that your voter document is in a pre-paid envelope or that it has sufficient postage. Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, please expect delays with domestic and international mail. Send your completed forms and ballots to:

U.S. Embassy Manila
1201 Roxas Boulevard

Remember, in some states, voter registration and ballot request deadlines are as early as October 5, 2020, for the November 2020 presidential election. If you have never voted while overseas before, it is not too late. The process is easy ­-- just follow these steps:

1.      Complete a Federal Post Card Application (FPCA)

Whether you are a first-time voter or have voted absentee in past elections, we recommend that you complete an FPCA to receive your ballot this fall. It allows you to register to vote and request absentee ballots for all elections for federal offices (presidential and state primaries, run-off, special, and the November general elections) during the course of the year in which you submit the FPCA. Local election officials in all U.S. states and territories accept the FPCA.

The online voting assistant available at FVAP.gov is an easy way to complete the FPCA. It will ask you questions specific to your state and tell you if electronic ballot delivery is possible. No matter which state you vote in, we encourage you to ask your local election officials to deliver your blank ballots to you electronically (by email, internet download, or fax, depending on your state). Be sure to include your email address to take advantage of electronic delivery.The online voting assistant will generate a printable FPCA, which you can then print and sign.

2.      Submit the Federal Post Card Application (FPCA)

The FVAP online tool will walk you through the form and provide you with a PDF packet to print, sign, and send directly to your local election official (LEO). Some states offer online voter registration. If your state requires you to return paper voting forms to local election officials by mail, you can do so through international mail, or courier service. Place your voting forms in postage paid return envelopes or in envelopes bearing sufficient domestic U.S. postage, and address them to the relevant local election officials. Another option is to drop off election materials at the Embassy’s public entrance from 8a.m. to 3:30 p.m., Monday through Friday, except for U.S. and local holidays or the Veterans Affairs Regional Manila Office from 7:30 a.m. to 3:00 p.m., Monday through Friday, except for U.S. and local holidays. 

3.      Receive Your Ballot

After submitting your FPCA, most states allow you to confirm online your registration and ballot delivery selection. States are now required to send out ballots 45 days before an election (September 19) for federal office (President, U.S. Senate, or U.S. House of Representatives) to any overseas U.S. citizen who has completed an FPCA. 

4.     Return Your Ballot

We recommend that if you plan to return your paper ballot to your election officials via the U.S. embassy, please drop your ballot off with us by October 2 to account for transit times.  If you wish to drop off your ballot, or have a friend or colleague drop it off for you, place it in either a postage-paid envelope or envelope bearing domestic U.S. postage addressed to your local election officials. You can download the postage paid envelope from the FVAP.gov website 

If there isn't enough time to receive and send back your ballot before the election, use the Federal Write-In Absentee Ballot (FWAB)It is a backup ballot you can use if you don’t receive your ballot in a timely manner. If your official absentee ballot arrives after sending in the FWAB, fill it out and send in the official ballot too. Only one will be counted. After you send in your ballot, you cancheck if it was received by your election office. 

Your vote counts! Many U.S. elections within the past ten years have been decided by a margin of victory of less than 0.1%. All states are required to count every absentee ballot as long as it is valid and reaches local election officials by the absentee ballot receipt deadline (differs by state).  Be an educated voter. Check out the FVAP links page for helpful resources that will aid your research of candidates and issues. You can also read national and hometown newspapers online and search the Internet to locate articles and information. 

To receive information by email about election dates and deadlines, subscribe to FVAP's Voting Alerts ([email protected]). FVAP also shares Voting Alerts via Facebook and Twitter.

If you have any questions about registering to vote overseas, please contact U.S. Embassy Manila’s Voting Assistance Officer at [email protected]

For further information:

• Contact the U.S. Embassy in Manila, Philippines, located at 1201 Roxas Boulevard, at +(63) (2) 5301-2000, from 7:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Monday through Friday. After-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens is +(63) (2) 5301-2000.

BossHog

Thanks for the info @Salty Dog. So, I completed my FPCA, signed, dated, scanned, and e-mailed it to my county voters' office in Pennsylvania. They will send the ballot by e-mail. Easy enough.

Pennsylvania however requires you to mail in a hard copy of your completed ballot in a special envelope (They give you a PDF of the printing that goes on the envelope).Three ways of getting it sent but all are a bit problematic:

1. Mail by PhilPost. Unreliable and glacially slow.

2. Drop it off in person at US embassy. I ain't flying there during Covid just to drop off a ballot. Normally I'd probably make it an excuse to fly there for a week of dining and carousing in Manila, but not now.

3. Mail it to the US embassy in Manila. This however requires you stamp the envelope yourself with US postage. However nobody sells US stamps on Siargao, lol.

I'd be happy to hear any suggestions or solutions. Sometimes I make things more complicated than they are and perhaps I'm missing an easy fix. Thanks in advance.

Edited by BossHog
  • Like 1

RogerDuMond
14 minutes ago, BossHog said:

I'd be happy to hear any suggestions or solutions. Sometimes I make things more complicated than they are and perhaps I'm missing an easy fix. Thanks in advance.

LBC?

On 7/4/2020 at 7:35 AM, Dafey said:

Same in Florida. Fortunately I have family that will mail in the ballot after I send it to them...FedEx, UPS, Pigeon, whatever my choices are beside PhilPost

Palm Beach County allows me to FAX in my ballot.

• Thanks 1

mikecon3
6 hours ago, BossHog said:

I don't think it's you, sounds like Pennsylvania has made it more complicated. I think Roger's LBC suggestion makes the most sense if you have someone in the US that will put stamps and mail it for you.

When North Carolina starting giving you the preference of receiving your ballot by email, they would send the ballot by email like they did yours, but then I can send the ballot back by email and they enter it into the system. This year, that option is still available, but they prefer you go to the state election website, find your ballot, and submit your vote then and there. It worked well and was definitely the easy way. Hopefully other states will follow suit.

Edited by mikecon3
  • Thanks 1

Soupeod
On 9/11/2020 at 8:04 AM, BossHog said:

Thanks for the info @Salty Dog. So, I completed my FPCA, signed, dated, scanned, and e-mailed it to my county voters' office in Pennsylvania. They will send the ballot by e-mail. Easy enough.

Pennsylvania however requires you to mail in a hard copy of your completed ballot in a special envelope (They give you a PDF of the printing that goes on the envelope).Three ways of getting it sent but all are a bit problematic:

1. Mail by PhilPost. Unreliable and glacially slow.

2. Drop it off in person at US embassy. I ain't flying there during Covid just to drop off a ballot. Normally I'd probably make it an excuse to fly there for a week of dining and carousing in Manila, but not now.

3. Mail it to the US embassy in Manila. This however requires you stamp the envelope yourself with US postage. However nobody sells US stamps on Siargao, lol.

Emailed my last one to WA state. Arrived via RAO Cebu from Manila. Hmmm LBC might be your only out option... receiving option is onky email for you because they havent thought this bullshit through IMO.

Salty Dog

Message for U.S. Citizens:  Don’t forget to sign and seal your ballots!
September 15, 2020

Overseas absentee voting is fast, easy, and available anywhere in the world, but there are a few important things you must remember to do:

-Sign your ballot and place it in a sealed envelope.

-Include a return address on the envelope.

-Address the envelope to your local election official.

-Ensure your envelope has the correct U.S. postage.

You must enclose your voted ballot in a sealed envelope addressed to the appropriate local election office in the United States. The U.S. Postal Service will not accept envelopes that are not sealed, that are missing postage, or are not addressed correctly. To find the mailing address of your local election office, see https://www.fvap.gov/guide. 

Envelope templates are available for printing on FVAP.gov. Once your ballot is placed inside a sealed envelope with the appropriate U.S. postage paid, place that envelope in a separate, covering envelope addressed to the U.S. Embassy in Manila. You can then drop off or mail (Phil Post or courier) your ballot to us.

Drop-off:

-U.S. Embassy Manila’s public entrance from 8 a.m. to 3:30 p.m., Monday through Friday, except for U.S. and local holidays. 

-Veterans Affairs Manila Regional Office from 7:30 a.m. to 3:00 p.m., Monday - Friday, except for U.S. and local holidays. 

Mail-in:

U.S. Embassy Manila
1201 Roxas Boulevard

For information on registering to vote, see our September 9 voting message for U.S. citizens.

Contact us with questions at [email protected] 

For further information: