Suggested to rename the Ninoy Aquino International Airport (NAIA) to the Paliparang Pandaigdig ng Pilipinas

rizla

EDITORIAL - Leave the name alone

(The Freeman ) - June 28, 2020 - 12:00am

What’s in a name? Apparently some names can have “color” and “political agenda.”

There is now a proposal from lawmakers Paolo Duterte of Davao City’s First District, Lord Allan Velasco of Marinduque, and Eric Yap of ACT-CIS Party-list to rename the Ninoy Aquino International Airport (NAIA) to the Paliparang Pandaigdig ng Pilipinas, which has been shortened to PAPAPI by internet users.

According to the proponents the new name “bears no color, no political agenda.”

“We need a more representative branding for the international gateway of our country, thus our proposal renaming NAIA to the Paliparang Pandaigdig ng Pilipinas. Aside from it bearing our country’s name, it is in our national language,” Paolo Duterte said.

“Changing the name of NAIA to Paliparang Pandaigdig ng Pilipinas gives every Filipino a great sense of pride and ownership of the country’s biggest and largest international airport,” Velasco said.

It’s better to leave that name alone for now.

In the first place, the new name is a mouthful. Especially for those who do not speak Tagalog as a primary means of communication.

Foreigner visitors and tourists may not know who Ninoy Aquino is, but they will understand what the words “International Airport” mean. However, “Paliparang Pandaigdig” will take some explaining to them. It may even be safe to say they won’t be able to pronounce it correctly. 

In the second place, what sense of pride are they talking about? What these three lawmakers forget is that majority of the country does not speak Tagalog regularly. So their reasoning that rebranding the international gateway with a name that has Tagalog words in it doesn’t really hold any appeal to the non-Tagalog speaking.

In the third place, the timing of this bill leaves a lot to be desired. In case these lawmakers didn’t notice, there is a pandemic going on and there are probably a million more urgent things for lawmakers to discuss other than renaming an airport.

It is also worth mentioning that there are those who cannot help but see the proposal as a political move by the Duterte camp against their political rivals, the so-called Yellow camp, to bring down the Aquino name.

What will happen is that lawmakers allied to either camp will want their say, and in the end this may distract them from more important discussions.

Lawmakers should focus on more important issues for now, and leave the name alone.

https://www.philstar.com/the-freeman/opinion/2020/06/28/2024162/editorial-leave-name-alone

f they want to change the name to something with no connection to colour or politics, would not "Manila International Airport" make more sense?

• Like 3
SkyMan
41 minutes ago, rizla said:

“We need a more representative branding for the international gateway of our country, thus our proposal renaming NAIA to

......something no foreigner can pronounce.

• Like 4
rizla
5 minutes ago, SkyMan said:

Exactly, Tourism is a major income for The Philippines, having an unpronounceable name for an airport won't encourage people. 

• Like 2
Busted Dick

PPP... Piss Poor Performance. Perhaps apt for Manila's airport. 

• Like 2
rfm010
15 hours ago, SkyMan said:

After 30 years i've finally figured how to say nah-eye-yah and now they want to change it. 

• Haha 2
  • Administrator
Salty Dog
8 hours ago, rizla said:

Exactly, Tourism is a major income for The Philippines, having an unpronounceable name for an airport won't encourage people. 

Yea, I always choose my vacations based on the name of airports... :rolleyes:

• Haha 3
SkyMan
1 hour ago, Salty Dog said:

Yea, I always choose my vacations based on the name of airports... :rolleyes:

Hahaha, but don't they bill the Philippines as an English speaking nation to attract Korean and Chinese students?  And then they change the name to Tagalog. 

BossHog
6 hours ago, rfm010 said:
After 30 years i've finally figured how to say nah-eye-yah and now they want to change it. 

so how do you pronounce the proposed new one? puh-pappy?

It always struck me as odd that they'd name an airport for someone who was gunned down and killed while deboarding onto its tarmac. But hey, whatever.

It was the original "tanim bala". Planting bullets on passengers.

Sent from my KFDOWI using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
SkyMan
2 hours ago, BossHog said:

It always struck me as odd that they'd name an airport for someone who was gunned down and killed while deboarding onto its tarmac. But hey, whatever.

I think the thing is that he returned to the RP despite knowing the likely outcome.  It's a slight against Marcos et al.

rfm010
14 hours ago, BossHog said:

so how do you pronounce the proposed new one? puh-pappy?

Paliparang pandaigdig ng pilipinas?

i think i'll pronounce it "airport".   Until i can think of something else to irritate the kid.

It was the original "tanim bala".

Planting bullets on passengers.

yes but there is a subtle difference between "on" and "in". 

Sent from my KFDOWI using Tapatalk

• Like 1
mikecon3
16 hours ago, rizla said:

would not "Manila International Airport" make more sense?

Exactly what my wife said!

16 hours ago, SkyMan said:

.....something no foreigner can pronounce.

I've been trying for 3 days and still can't pronounce it!

• Like 2
baby43

Yes I believe Manila International airport not some ex president who was gunned down, here Brisbane airport known as Brisbane international airport.

• Like 1
SkyMan
18 hours ago, rizla said:

would not "Manila International Airport" make more sense?

I believe the translation is Philippines National Airport.  So I can see a few reasons they want this aside from Acqiuno v. Marcos.  

It's a way of saying this is the real Philippines Airport, don't pay any attention to other dozen or so supposedly international airports in the country, tourists need to fly here.  Oh, and Congress, this is your national pride airport.  You need to fund us before sending money elsewhere.

And naming it in Tagalog is kind of an in your face to Cebu. 

• Like 1
baby43

Yes Philippines National Airport sounds better SkyMan , why name it after people who not popular at the time while president please correct me here.

• Like 1
BossHog

Ninoy Aquino wasn't a president. His widow became a president after his assasination. Their son later became president as well. The man the airport is named for was a senator.