Western Middle Names in the Philippines

Paddy
15 hours ago, RR3 said:

I have no middle name. I tell them I am of poor family so only one name. All accepted this except Globe. So I made a fancy middle name. All good

That was my dad’s answer when asked about his lack of a middle name - “we wuz too poor”. 

I use my middle name here, in the middle name space. It has raised an eyebrow or two but no real problems. 

Creating more confusion is the fact that, here (and to a certain extent elsewhere) my first, middle and last names are all first names. That throws people off more than the middle name issue.  I have always blamed the popularity of a certain movie star for this problem...

• Like 1
HongKongPhooey

I think maybe over complicating things.  Your name is whatever your official government document states, which should typically be your passport. That is your legal name. You shouldn’t  use any other name for official documents unless there is an “AKA” question/section, but that’s really only for those who have official documents previously under a different names (like prior passport with maiden name).

If anyone questions it, show them a copy of your passport.

This is especially important when it comes to background checks, mortgages, bank accounts, wills/last testaments etc.  If you use different names on supporting documents, from what is on your passport when applying for visas/immigration , that could be a huge red flag.

Edited by HongKongPhooey
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
Chris24
15 minutes ago, HongKongPhooey said:

<< Your name is whatever your official government document states, which should typically be your passport. That is your legal name. You shouldn’t  use any other name for official documents>>

This is the best advice.  My legal first name is Christopher but I go by Chris and some of my ID including my state drivers license has the short version.  My passport and military ID have the longer version.   If I had it to do it over again (or at the next opportunity) I'd just stick with the longer version on everything to stay consistent.  It's normally fine in the U.S. other than maybe a couple of second looks at the airport on the name vs. my tickets, but in a foreign country it can become an issue.

We have the same thing in the U.S. with names of East Asians, Middle-Easterners, etc. where both format and spelling are confusing to U.S. officials thus creating some inconsistency.

• Like 2
hyaku
10 hours ago, HongKongPhooey said:

I think maybe over complicating things.  Your name is whatever your official government document states, which should typically be your passport. That is your legal name. You shouldn’t  use any other name for official documents unless there is an “AKA” question/section, but that’s really only for those who have official documents previously under a different names (like prior passport with maiden name).

If anyone questions it, show them a copy of your passport.

This is especially important when it comes to background checks, mortgages, bank accounts, wills/last testaments etc.  If you use different names on supporting documents, from what is on your passport when applying for visas/immigration , that could be a huge red flag.

This is the very reason I don't like them doing this kind of thing. But it's a matter of them being hard headed. They once tried to charge me with traffic offense using my mothers maiden name. In any other country a court or judge would kick a case out on that basis. Even your wife's name will be different. The only place its the same is on her passport. Sadly the laws in this country for using other names is weak. Even legal documents can state "Also known as".

Edited by hyaku
  • Like 1
SkyMan
2 hours ago, hyaku said:

Even legal documents can state "Also known as".

Some legal docs ask for your nicknames as if your buddy referring to you as dufus has some legal standing.

Edited by SkyMan
  • Like 1
cookie47

I've just noticed on our canceled SCOOT booking.

Dear David John. I'm writing to you.......blah blah. ..

John is my middle name but, written in this format it looks as it's my family name. In reality they should drop the John, Or Add my family name.. Oh well it's a cultural thing....

Sent from my MI MAX using Tapatalk

hyaku
2 hours ago, SkyMan said:

Some legal docs ask for your nicknames as if your buddy referring to you as dufus has some legal standing.

I tried to get a few documents made null and void on the basis that someone did not use their real name. The attorney said it was o.k. to do it. Must be the biggest tax fraud going when someone can use any name they like. 

SkyMan
5 hours ago, hyaku said:

I tried to get a few documents made null and void on the basis that someone did not use their real name. The attorney said it was o.k. to do it. Must be the biggest tax fraud going when someone can use any name they like. 

In the US I think that falls under intent to defraud or something like that.  If you sign documents under a bogus name, you are still liable for what you signed.  I have a good friend, Jim, who was in a business with another guy, Dave.  Dave and his lawyer did up paperwork for Jim to buy into the company and become a partner.  The lawyer didn't file it though.  Later, Jim and Dave got a business loan and they signed as partners in the firm.  Later, when the business was failing, Dave liquidated all he could and skipped town leaving Jim holding the bag.  It was then that he found he really wasn't a partner.  He tried all he could to avoid bankruptcy but in the end it was ruled that since he signed as a partner, he was liable for the debt even though he'd been duped into believing he was a partner.

• Like 2
SkyMan

I did think of a great middle to give a kid, Apseudonym. Then he can be John A. Smith or whatever but when asked his middle name and he tells them they will say,  a pseudonym for what? Hahaha 

• Like 1
MJ_86

Thanks all for the replies. I agree, I'll not leave the middle name blank as for sure it causes more questions! 

• Like 1
fred42

I put my western name as given via birth cert.
If they start asking questions I show them my passport as evidence.
After that,they usually accept that all is true and correct.
If they do not,they can go [email protected]@k themselves.

• Like 2
  • Administrator
Salty Dog

Never had an issue with middle name but being a Jr is a pain in the ass. Even in the USA they drop it at will. No big problem though as they don't seem to care all that much. It's correct on passport, drivers license and social security card. When I got married in the Philippines and we were signing the marriage certificate, I noticed it was missing. Knowing how much of a problem they have there with names on documents, I wouldn't sign them.  Luckily our friend who was the clerk of court had arranged everything for us. She had the multiple copies redone before we signed them.  Took about 20 minutes...

• Like 2
SkyMan
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Salty Dog said:

Never had an issue with middle name but being a Jr is a pain in the ass. Even in the USA they drop it at will. No big problem though as they don't seem to care all that much. It's correct on passport, drivers license and social security card. When I got married in the Philippines and we were signing the marriage certificate, I noticed it was missing. Knowing how much of a problem they have there with names on documents, I wouldn't sign them.  Luckily our friend who was the clerk of court had arranged everything for us. She had the multiple copies redone before we signed them.  Took about 20 minutes...

So how is that handled?  Is it considered part of your last name?  Asked what your last name is, would you say "Smith Jr."?  And after Jr is born, what does the father do to become Smith Sr.?  I did know one guy that was a "the 3rd."   On a last name first form do you put Smith Jr.   John Q.?

Edited by SkyMan
Headshot
3 hours ago, SkyMan said:

So how is that handled?  Is it considered part of your last name?  Asked what your last name is, would you say "Smith Jr."?  I did know one guy that was a "the 3rd."   On a last name first form do you put Smith Jr. 

It depends on how those who want your data record it as to how your name is entered. You would never say your last name is "Smith Jr." unless you are stating your full name. How things are said, and how they are included on forms, are two different things. If Jr. is part of your name (or any other suffix), it must be included on anything legal. Sometimes the suffix is recorded along with the last name, and sometimes it is recorded along with the middle name. It just has to appear someplace.

3 hours ago, SkyMan said:

after Jr is born, what does the father do to become Smith Sr.? 

Only if the father wants to change his name. My father never had "Sr." in his name even though I am a "Jr." And the Jr. (or any other suffix) remains even after your father dies.

• Like 1
cookie47

I always thought it nice,,,,, when you arrive in Australia as a British Migrant they give you extra names.

However...

Most of which can't be posted on this forum.

Hi Pete.....

Sent from my MI MAX using Tapatalk

• Haha 3