MJ_86

Western Middle Names in the Philippines

MJ_86

Hi all! For those of you with a western middle name when filling in paperwork do you put your first and middle name under first name? Or first name in the first name bit and then the middle name in the middle name bit? 

It causes issues every time I write my name and just curious as to what others do. Davao Doc’s couldn’t comprehend my middle name not being my mothers last name to the point of having to get a manager over and if I leave the middle name but blank they want to know why I don’t have a middle name 🤣 This is a common theme that happens and I was curious what others do? 

Thanks in advance

Mike

• Like 1

Davaoeno

I put my middle name as my middle name and I have no problem if they think it's my mothers maiden name.  I find that Filipinos generally arent overly concerned about accuracy- they just want to be able to fill in the blank space.  In most matters .

• Like 4

cookie47
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, MJ_86 said:

For those of you with a western middle name

Absolutely, What a subject you've raised. 

I'm British born Australian. What a drama I had with the LTO (Cebu) when applying for a Driver's licence and have a very simple English name. 

The LTO Form had one format.  Which It seemed i filled in correct. 

However 

The Medical Certificate/form had Another Format. OR. The data entry clerk was confused with the Western format??? maybe and chose another format 

Yes,,,, both I filled in/up for the original application. 

I can't acually remember what the differences were as my accent or explanation was getting me nowhere so, my wife EVENTUALLY sorted it out in the local language as the LTO at one point was absolutely 100% positive that they were not going to issue a Licence as they said that the  the Licence application differed from the medical Certificate and were intent on sending me back to the doctor at one point. I CAN certainly appreciate having worked in a regulatory position in Australia everything should match . However When we Both produced our Australian Passports (luckily we had them) the 3 counter clerks including a manager said "Oh we don't do it like that",OK, no problem,, BUT strange in fact after a lengthy discussion the format ended up in the same way as my PASSPORT, Which is Family Name, First, then second (middle). 

I  NOW believe there was a mistake/confusion/or change of format when the Data was entered on the computer generated medical certificate COMPARED to the form I filled up. 

Also,,,,, when signing up at the LOCAL GP, doctors I heard the clerk say to my wife,Maam which one is his family name... 

Edited by cookie47
Addition
  • Like 2

lamoe

Try having a middle name same as Chinese last name and listing nationality as American :lol:

• Like 1

SkyMan

Prior to the military I never used my middle name or initial.  The military required an initial on signature. After I retired I dropped it and have done what I can to remove it. My passport, DL, and ACR-I card have no middle initial.  Sometimes when I'm asked for it and I tell them I don't have one they ask for my mother's maiden name. I tell them that's not my name and I won't give it to them.

• Like 2

RR3

I have no middle name. I tell them I am of poor family so only one name. All accepted this except Globe. So I made a fancy middle name. All good

• Haha 5

SkyMan
3 hours ago, RR3 said:

I have no middle name. I tell them I am of poor family so only one name. All accepted this except Globe. So I made a fancy middle name. All good

Soupeod

So, before marriage it is the mothers maiden name as middle name, once she is married she takes her fathers name as a middle name. In Leyte/Biliran anyway lol 😂 

• Like 1

cookie47
Posted (edited)

Yes, you beat me @souped,, Correct, but I will post anyway... 

Mm,, things become clearer now (reading below) and one can see why some people in certain industries/Government departments that deal with foreigners IN the Philippines get confused.. 

Below is a quote from Google which I did know about as it happened when we got married in Australia and for a short while caused no end of confusion when filling out various forms/renewing passport etc.. 

Under Philippine regulations, for single women and men, the middle name refers to the Surname of the person's mother. Once a woman marries and decides to use the surname of her husband, the maiden middle name  is automatically dropped and is replaced by her maiden surname. 

Further.... I have a good friend who is a police officer in Australia. He tells me the more names you have "within reason" the easier it is to identify a person, thus, let's say you ARE innocent of a suspected crime. EG. 

There could be plenty of John Smiths,,,, , so the next step would be DOB, which also could have multiple hits. However if you're name was really John, David, Aluisios, Smith, your identity is narrowed down more quickly including adding DOB as well giving more weight. 

Anyway that's how he tells it... 

Edited by cookie47
Spelling
  • Like 2

SkyMan

I thought it odd that when we got married, there was nothing anywhere on the MC or anywhere else that said 'her name is now...' or anything like that.  I told her she could now go by about anything she wanted.

• Like 1

fred42

One of the old Fisherman here in Bohol has the name "Wagner"..
He is adamant that his sister is the bionic woman.
I believe him!

• Like 2

cookie47
I thought it odd that when we got married, there was nothing anywhere on the MC or anywhere else that said 'her name is now...' or anything like that.  I told her she could now go by about anything she wanted.
A good question, but my wife used her "new" Surname, Which is only traditional and not legally compulsory..

Sent from my MI MAX using Tapatalk

cookie47

hyaku
17 hours ago, MJ_86 said:

Hi all! For those of you with a western middle name when filling in paperwork do you put your first and middle name under first name? Or first name in the first name bit and then the middle name in the middle name bit? 

It causes issues every time I write my name and just curious as to what others do. Davao Doc’s couldn’t comprehend my middle name not being my mothers last name to the point of having to get a manager over and if I leave the middle name but blank they want to know why I don’t have a middle name 🤣 This is a common theme that happens and I was curious what others do? 

Thanks in advance

Mike

Are you single? They require you to add your mothers maiden name unless you are married. 

I got a bit pissed off when they asked me for my mothers maiden name for a marriage application. I put down her married name and they said it was wrong. I said, "How is that possible? If my mother was not married when I was born it would make me illegitimate".

• Like 2

SkyMan
7 minutes ago, hyaku said:

Are you single? They require you to add your mothers maiden name unless you are married. 

I got a bit pissed off when they asked me for my mothers maiden name for a marriage application. I put down her married name and they said it was wrong. I said, "How is that possible? If my mother was not married when I was born it would make me illegitimate".

Yes, I've run into that problem.  I believe they have a different definition of maiden name here.  My wife though it was her mother's name at the time of her own birth, not her mother's birth.  I had to correct some form she'd filled out for the US gov't.

Paddy
15 hours ago, RR3 said:

That was my dad’s answer when asked about his lack of a middle name - “we wuz too poor”. 

I use my middle name here, in the middle name space. It has raised an eyebrow or two but no real problems. 

Creating more confusion is the fact that, here (and to a certain extent elsewhere) my first, middle and last names are all first names. That throws people off more than the middle name issue.  I have always blamed the popularity of a certain movie star for this problem...

• Like 1

HongKongPhooey
Posted (edited)

I think maybe over complicating things.  Your name is whatever your official government document states, which should typically be your passport. That is your legal name. You shouldn’t  use any other name for official documents unless there is an “AKA” question/section, but that’s really only for those who have official documents previously under a different names (like prior passport with maiden name).

If anyone questions it, show them a copy of your passport.

This is especially important when it comes to background checks, mortgages, bank accounts, wills/last testaments etc.  If you use different names on supporting documents, from what is on your passport when applying for visas/immigration , that could be a huge red flag.

Edited by HongKongPhooey
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Chris24
15 minutes ago, HongKongPhooey said:

<< Your name is whatever your official government document states, which should typically be your passport. That is your legal name. You shouldn’t  use any other name for official documents>>

This is the best advice.  My legal first name is Christopher but I go by Chris and some of my ID including my state drivers license has the short version.  My passport and military ID have the longer version.   If I had it to do it over again (or at the next opportunity) I'd just stick with the longer version on everything to stay consistent.  It's normally fine in the U.S. other than maybe a couple of second looks at the airport on the name vs. my tickets, but in a foreign country it can become an issue.

We have the same thing in the U.S. with names of East Asians, Middle-Easterners, etc. where both format and spelling are confusing to U.S. officials thus creating some inconsistency.

• Like 2

hyaku
Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, HongKongPhooey said:

I think maybe over complicating things.  Your name is whatever your official government document states, which should typically be your passport. That is your legal name. You shouldn’t  use any other name for official documents unless there is an “AKA” question/section, but that’s really only for those who have official documents previously under a different names (like prior passport with maiden name).

If anyone questions it, show them a copy of your passport.

This is especially important when it comes to background checks, mortgages, bank accounts, wills/last testaments etc.  If you use different names on supporting documents, from what is on your passport when applying for visas/immigration , that could be a huge red flag.

This is the very reason I don't like them doing this kind of thing. But it's a matter of them being hard headed. They once tried to charge me with traffic offense using my mothers maiden name. In any other country a court or judge would kick a case out on that basis. Even your wife's name will be different. The only place its the same is on her passport. Sadly the laws in this country for using other names is weak. Even legal documents can state "Also known as".

Edited by hyaku
  • Like 1

SkyMan
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, hyaku said:

Even legal documents can state "Also known as".

Some legal docs ask for your nicknames as if your buddy referring to you as dufus has some legal standing.

Edited by SkyMan
  • Like 1

cookie47

I've just noticed on our canceled SCOOT booking.

Dear David John. I'm writing to you.......blah blah. ..

John is my middle name but, written in this format it looks as it's my family name. In reality they should drop the John, Or Add my family name.. Oh well it's a cultural thing....

Sent from my MI MAX using Tapatalk

hyaku
2 hours ago, SkyMan said:

Some legal docs ask for your nicknames as if your buddy referring to you as dufus has some legal standing.

I tried to get a few documents made null and void on the basis that someone did not use their real name. The attorney said it was o.k. to do it. Must be the biggest tax fraud going when someone can use any name they like. 

SkyMan
5 hours ago, hyaku said:

I tried to get a few documents made null and void on the basis that someone did not use their real name. The attorney said it was o.k. to do it. Must be the biggest tax fraud going when someone can use any name they like. 

In the US I think that falls under intent to defraud or something like that.  If you sign documents under a bogus name, you are still liable for what you signed.  I have a good friend, Jim, who was in a business with another guy, Dave.  Dave and his lawyer did up paperwork for Jim to buy into the company and become a partner.  The lawyer didn't file it though.  Later, Jim and Dave got a business loan and they signed as partners in the firm.  Later, when the business was failing, Dave liquidated all he could and skipped town leaving Jim holding the bag.  It was then that he found he really wasn't a partner.  He tried all he could to avoid bankruptcy but in the end it was ruled that since he signed as a partner, he was liable for the debt even though he'd been duped into believing he was a partner.

• Like 2

SkyMan

I did think of a great middle to give a kid, Apseudonym. Then he can be John A. Smith or whatever but when asked his middle name and he tells them they will say,  a pseudonym for what? Hahaha 

• Like 1

MJ_86

Thanks all for the replies. I agree, I'll not leave the middle name blank as for sure it causes more questions! 

• Like 1