arentol

Premature Baby Needs Help

arentol

Hi fellow LinC members,

Though my username is Arentol, my real name is Brian. I've been an expat here for about 15 years, first living in Toledo for 6 years and then moving out to Cebu City. I've been a member of this site for 13 years, though my activity has fluctuated during that time.

The reason I am posting here is that my wife gave birth prematurely (33 weeks) last May 30th — she suffered from preeclampsia/eclampsia, which is extremely high blood pressure triggered during the 3rd trimester of pregnancy. She had no history of high blood pressure. On the morning of May 29th she suddenly had a seizure (body went stiff, eyes rolling to back of head, biting on tongue, etc.) and, on awakening, had no memory of it. 

Doctors figured out that it was preeclampsia and that she needed to have an emergency caesarian section. We bounced around between a few different hospitals looking for an incubator before finally finding one in Cebu City.

The baby was born, he is a little boy whom we've named Christian. Now that 3+ weeks have passed, my wife's health has improved dramatically and she's even off her blood pressure medications.

Our little boy, though, is dealing with many struggles common in premature birth: pneumonia and a host of breathing problems due to organs not developing fully. He has been in a Neonatal ICU for 25 days now and probably has another 1 - 2 weeks before discharge if all goes well.

As discussed in some other current topics, healthcare here in the Philippines is much different than in the West. I budgeted for a normal caesarian delivery, so am a bit financially shell-shocked by what has happened.

As of today I've spent P474k (USD $9k) on hospital bills and the remaining amount owing is currently at P370k (USD $7k) and is expected to hit at least P500k (USD $10k) over the next 2 weeks. Basically, the total of everything will be around P1m+ (USD $20k).

On the advice of my brother, we started up a GoFundMe Campaign online to help raise money to cover these costs. You know how it is here — hospitals want money upfront before discharge, so we are trying everything we can think of to get enough money together to pay these bills.

If you guys don't mind, I'd like to share our GoFundMe link here. Any help would be extremely appreciated. Like many of you, I am a bit old-school and wasn't too comfortable about asking for help, but I have to admit this time I shouldn't let pride stand in the way of potentially helping our child.

Thanks again.

https://www.gofundme.com/f/premature-baby-needs-help

Aren / Brian

• Like 1
  • Thanks 7

Salty Dog
2 minutes ago, arentol said:

If you guys don't mind, I'd like to share our GoFundMe link here. Any help would be extremely appreciated. Like many of you, I am a bit old-school and wasn't too comfortable about asking for help, but I have to admit this time I shouldn't let pride stand in the way of potentially helping our child.

No problem at all. That's what the "Help an Expat" forum is here for... 

the-hardest-part-of-being-a-parent-is-watching-a-26110380.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Dafey
1 hour ago, arentol said:

On the advice of my brother, we started up a GoFundMe Campaign online to help raise money to cover these costs.

First off, congratulations on your newborn son.

We will do everything possible to help. I'm sure you don't mind me sharing this with my circles in the US?

You and your family, especially little Christian is in our prayers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

arentol
2 minutes ago, Dafey said:

First off, congratulations on your newborn son.

We will do everything possible to help. I'm sure you don't mind me sharing this with my circles in the US?

You and your family, especially little Christian is in our prayers.

Dafey,

Thanks so much and a huge thank you for sharing the link with your friends/associates in the US. Any help means so much to us at this stage.

Regards,

Brian / Aren

• Like 2

Soupeod

Congrats on your new child and thanks for letting us know you need assistance. God Bless

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

jtmwatchbiz
9 hours ago, Salty Dog said:

No problem at all. That's what the "Help an Expat" forum is here for... 

the-hardest-part-of-being-a-parent-is-watching-a-26110380.png

Couldn't agree more!  

10 hours ago, arentol said:

I shouldn't let pride stand in the way of potentially helping our child.

And agree even more!  I see your brother is located stateside.  Would the forum object to you posting his email address?  Some of us don't do paypal or online banking but would gladly drop a check in the mail to him for your son's hospital bills.  

• Like 2

Dafey
11 hours ago, jtmwatchbiz said:

Couldn't agree more!  

And agree even more!  I see your brother is located stateside.  Would the forum object to you posting his email address?  Some of us don't do paypal or online banking but would gladly drop a check in the mail to him for your son's hospital bills.  

For Philippine residents it would also be easy to just send through Palawan or Cebuano pawn shops too.

Is that an option?

• Like 1

lamoe
Posted (edited)

If anyone has problems PM me, we can work something out

https://support.gofundme.com/hc/en-us/articles/360001992827-Making-a-Donation

Best practices when donating

To ensure your donation is processed successfully:

Donate with your own personal card and from your own device, using your own email address. Do not use someone else's card.

Donate with your own name. Do not use a nick name. If you would like to change your name after the fact, you will be able to do so from your receipt.

Do not donate multiple times to the same fundraiser. Instead, it's best if you donate one larger amount.

If you are the GoFundMe organizer or beneficiary, do not donate to your own fundraiser even if the funds were given to you by someone else via cash or check. This violates our payment processor's terms of service as it can be seen as a cash advance.

Trouble donating 

If you are having issues contributing to a fundraiser, please read more about how to troubleshoot a failing donation. 

Accepted Cards

Here is a helpful list of accepted payment methods:

Visa

Mastercard

Discover (Canada excluded)

American Express

Sofort (For German donors to German fundraisers)

GiroPay (For German donors to German fundraisers)

iDeal (For Dutch donors to Dutch fundraisers)

PayPal Accounts (These are specifically for certified charity fundraisers)

Edited by lamoe
  • Like 2