MLB 2020

BossHog
WTF...spacer.png

They'd been trying it out in the Minors. Meant to speed up the game as they thought MLB was losing audience due to long games. They're more in danger of losing the base of traditionalists if they tinker around much more, imo. Those were two examples only and there are many more. About pitching changes mid-inning etc.

Gimme an 18-inning Yankees-Red Sox marathon any day. Beats watching the chickens run around my provincial Philippines yard!

• Like 2
  • Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BossHog

• Dafey

• Edwin

• rfm010

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Prayers have been answered! Opening day of a sixty game season on July 24. Should be enough time to beanball the Astros a few times. Lol.   Sent from my KFDOWI using Tapatalk

A hard slide into second is the antithesis of social distancing. Sent from my KFDOWI using Tapatalk

Maybe T-ball after 13 innings?

Posted Images

rfm010
19 hours ago, BossHog said:

Gimme an 18-inning Yankees-Red Sox marathon any day. Beats watching the chickens run around my provincial Philippines yard!

Yankees red sox.  Hope they both lose.

to tide you over:

• Like 2
SkyMan
19 hours ago, BossHog said:

Most horrible: DH in the NL

Blasphemy.

18 hours ago, BossHog said:

About pitching changes mid-inning etc.

I do think a pitcher should have to face at least 3 batters or something like that.

battleborn

Here you have a shortened 60 game season and in extra inning games they are placing a runner on second to help speed up the game.  Crazy!!!

• Like 1
  • Administrator
Dafey
On 7/8/2020 at 10:22 AM, BossHog said:

extra innings start with a runner on 2nd

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
BossHog
4 hours ago, Dafey said:

Going to see a lot of bunting and a lot of intentional walks in the top of the tenth would be my guess

Sent from my KFDOWI using Tapatalk

• Like 1
rfm010
On 7/8/2020 at 5:40 PM, SkyMan said:

Blasphemy.

I do think a pitcher should have to face at least 3 batters or something like that.

This is something i might be willing to consider.  The pitching part that is.  Or require a reliever to finish the inning.  Come to think of it, with a 60 game season there shouldnt be so much concern about starters throwing out their arms.   Maybe get rid of relievers, or have a limit of one per game.  Bob gibson would never have gotten along with this so many pitches a game and you're done nonsense.  

I liked bob.  He burned the red sox and then showed us tiger fans some great pitching while being polite enough to lose the 7th game.

• Like 2
SkyMan
24 minutes ago, rfm010 said:

This is something i might be willing to consider.  The pitching part that is.  Or require a reliever to finish the inning.  Come to think of it, with a 60 game season there shouldnt be so much concern about starters throwing out their arms.   Maybe get rid of relievers, or have a limit of one per game.  Bob gibson would never have gotten along with this so many pitches a game and you're done nonsense.  

I liked bob.  He burned the red sox and then showed us tiger fans some great pitching while being polite enough to lose the 7th game.

I just find it odd that one guy can go 6 or 7 innings and then it takes 6 others to finish the game.

• Like 1
  • Administrator
Dafey

I played a lot of positions and was a relief pitcher when needed in HS. Pitching 6 innings can be grueling! Pitching 6 innings while throwing heaters and curves will throw out your arm in a hurry.

SkyMan
On 7/10/2020 at 7:36 AM, Dafey said:

I played a lot of positions and was a relief pitcher when needed in HS. Pitching 6 innings can be grueling! Pitching 6 innings while throwing heaters and curves will throw out your arm in a hurry.

Ok, but then why does it take 10 relievers to finish the last 2-3 innings?

• Administrator
Dafey
25 minutes ago, SkyMan said:

Ok, but then why does it take 10 relievers to finish the last 2-3 innings?

Honestly its a little about tactics and a little about tomorrow's game.

Say you've got a left handed pitcher in the 7th inning and you can see he's losing his strength. And there is a lefty coming to bat who's hitting 300. You bring in a right handed pitcher with a strong fast ball and throw him out...ending the inning.

you want to save that relif ptcher because he's starting tomorrow and in the next inning the first 4 hitters are right handed...you bring in a fresh lefty to hopefully finish the game. 

• Like 1
Edwin

A few years ago the Rays decided to have their starters face each batter only twice, then start the train of relievers. It worked. The opponents scored fewer runs. Then they started using relievers to start the games for an inning or two. I think the Rays use the most pitchers per game. I don't mind a bit and like the strategies used by the manager, Kevin Cash. 

• 2 months later...
Edwin
On 6/24/2020 at 10:34 AM, Edwin said:

The title will mean something if my team wins. But I don't think they'll get through sixty games due to players getting infected. If a player goes down he could be out for the season. 

We're going to make it through the season and titles mean everything this year. The Ray's just won the American League East division title. :thumbsup:

BossHog
Posted (edited)

Eight (8) count 'em eight(!) playoff games today. Well, wildcard games if that counts.

First game was at 2 am Philippines time and the [email protected] starts at 10:08, so like a solid day of MLB post-season!

With eleven-plus hours of baseball today I'm glad we're stocked up on snacks and suds. Wife is already like "how long is this crazy game going to last?!?!" Haha.

Congrats @Edwin on the Rays. They're going places fast. Would be good to see them play LA in the Series. Hoping for a NYY win today so we can continue the Rays/Yankees fireworks. The weather in Cleveland is looking uncooperative though.

This is nearly like hockey play-offs; every half decent team gets through. My Pirates finished with the worst record in the Majors. A 're-building' year as they say. Brought up a heck of a rookie shortstop though.

This is a real Covid special; eight play-off games in a day. Not sure we'll ever see this again but am enjoying it all the way.  Anyone got a team in the mix?

Edited by BossHog
  • Like 2
rfm010
On 9/30/2020 at 8:02 PM, BossHog said:

Anyone got a team in the mix?

No.  Thank you for the reminder. 

• Like 1