British National Dies at Chong Hua Hospital

Headshot

I read this story in Facebook, and I can't confirm it with other sources. Maybe if somebody here knows someone named Barry who was living at Oasis, they could let us know if this is true. I can't imagine Chong Hua turning away a foreigner who is suffering an apparent heart attack. One thing that makes me suspicious of the story is that no last name was given. They always give the last names of foreigners here.

A British National named BARRY died alone with no relatives in Cebu. Yesterday, June 14, 2020, at around 1PM, Barry complained he had difficulty breathing to the management of OASIS Condo and some friends, so an ambulance was called and was picked up immediately thereafter. When the ambulance reached the nearest hospital, Chong Hua Mandaue, they were denied treatment and were told to proceed to Chong Hua Hospital Fuente so the ambulance had to go there.

When the ambulance reached Chong Hua Hospital Fuente, they were not received at the ER and were just made to wait from 2PM until 10PM. With no alternative, the patient just waited patiently inside the ambulance and had to wait for any word from the management of Chong Hua Hospital, whether he would be admitted or not. The British national passed the time talking to the ambulance crew the whole time (2Pm-10Pm) until later, he suddenly went into cardiac arrest. The crew immediately tried to revive the patient by doing CPR and ACLS (advance cardiac life support) while they informed dispatch of the situation. When an officer of the ambulance company arrived, he appealed to the doctors to treat their patient but was refused by two doctors at the ER saying THEY WERE JUST FOLLOWING ORDERS AND PROTOCOL. PASTILAN!

While the ambulance crew were still reviving the patient, the Chong Hua doctors and nurses just stood and watch as the patient was hanging on to dear life.

The ambulance officer pleaded the Doctors as the patient needed hospital emergency. At this point the ambulance officer was already surrounded by 5 security guards ready to tackle him. This created a commotion prompting the Hospital medical supervisor to come out of his office and talked to the ambulance officer, after a while, ordered the stretchers out and fetch the British National. But it was too late, he was clinically dead when ER staff fetched him outside the ER compound.

PS: A Caucasian friend of Barry was contacted by the OASIS CONDO management around midnight apparently he is out of the country. A certain Lenny Mills and 3 other friends are currently negotiating with the hospital for his eventual discharge/ cremation soon as they are still contacting his family.

Barry.thumb.jpg.f902dd467f4b08fafae0b45f5e2aef17.jpg

Edited by Headshot
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
Soupeod

Sad if true.

• Like 1
Headshot

The Facebook story has been repeated by Philippine News, but still no last name is given. It is likely that Philippine News didn't check the veracity of the story.

https://philnews.ph/2020/06/16/british-national-died-after-2-hospitals-refused-to-give-medical-attention/

It is really sad if this is true. If both Chong Hua hospitals turned him away, that does not bode well for any foreigner here expecting quality treatment in Cebu. I wonder why they didn't run up Fuente to the emergency room at CDUH? Then again, I can't imagine waiting around in the back of an ambulance for 8 hours until he goes into cardiac arrest without trying other alternatives.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
cookie47

Very worrying circumstances. 

I'm hoping more details will transpire about this. 

• Like 1
fred42

I cannot verify but from what I hear, if your case is not verified an emergency you aint getting admitted.
It sounds like a very friggin big deal to me as we have had people that work for us try to get doctors attention..No go unless they are tested Covid 19.
Situation is nuts!

• Like 1
Kreole
4 hours ago, Headshot said:

The Facebook story has been repeated by Philippine News, but still no last name is given. It is likely that Philippine News didn't check the veracity of the story.

https://philnews.ph/2020/06/16/british-national-died-after-2-hospitals-refused-to-give-medical-attention/

It is really sad if this is true. If both Chong Hua hospitals turned him away, that does not bode well for any foreigner here expecting quality treatment in Cebu. I wonder why they didn't run up Fuente to the emergency room at CDUH? Then again, I can't imagine waiting around in the back of an ambulance for 8 hours until he goes into cardiac arrest without trying other alternatives.

Besides Cebu Doctors hospital there are several other hospitals in the near vicinity.  Why the idiot drivers waited around so long for admission is questionable.  I am still not clear why he was not immediately admitted or taken to alternative hospitals.  Was it because he had not been tested for Corvid?

davehud

Did he have money or insurance to pay for care?

streak03

I wouldn't doubt that is a true story.

to_dave007
1 hour ago, davehud said:

Did he have money or insurance to pay for care?

I suspect that's the key issue.  There is no National Health here.  Need money, or a credit card, or PhilHealth to gain entry. Without that he should have gone to Vicente Soto.. about 200 meters away from Chong Hua Fuente.

48 minutes ago, streak03 said:

I wouldn't doubt that is a true story.

Agree.  I feel it has a ring of truth to it.  

• Like 2
fivestarph

It is quite surprising that there has been nothing in the Cebu local papers about this incident.

• Like 2
Slammer

https://newsinfo.inquirer.net/1292757/cases-swamp-cebu-city-hospitals

CEBU CITY, Cebu, Philippines — The tragic deaths of a foreigner and a barangay chair while they waited for hours for urgent medical attention illustrated this city’s lack of capacity to provide critical care for new coronavirus disease (COVID-19) patients, which had prompted President Duterte to put it back under enhanced community quarantine (ECQ).

On Sunday, Barry Grote, a British national, was taken by his friends in an ambulance to a private hospital after he complained he had trouble breathing.

But the suspected COVID-19 patient could not be accommodated in the emergency room as 10 others were waiting in line ahead of him.

So he waited inside the ambulance from 2 p.m. until he suffered a cardiac arrest at 10 p.m.

The ambulance and emergency room staff were unable to revive him.

A week earlier Manolita Abarquez, chair of Barangay Pardo who reportedly had pneumonia, died after at least seven hospitals refused to admit her as they were already full of patients.

Her live-in partner, Laurencia “Neneng” Pauya, who had diabetes, died two hours later.

Abarquez, 63, and Pauya were suspected to have been infected with SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, a severe respiratory disease. The results of their swab tests have not been released.

One of Grote’s friends was presented a bill amounting to P39,000 for the 30-minute attempt to resuscitate him.

“He could still be alive today if not for that damn queue. Imagine, it was an emergency situation and yet he was made to wait for eight hours?,” said Byron Garcia, brother of Gov. Gwen Garcia and one of Grote’s friends who narrated the Briton’s ordeal on Facebook.

Filled beyond capacity

Following the deaths of Abarquez and Pauya, Cebu City Councilor Raymond Alvin Garcia vowed to draft an ordinance to compel hospitals to accept and provide enough beds for COVID-19 patients or those with flu-like symptoms.

The owners of an erring hospital would be made to pay a P5,000 fine or face jail time.

On Monday, Mr. Duterte ordered Cebu City to return to ECQ in which stricter quarantine measures, such as the closure of nonessential businesses and the cancellation of public transportation, would again be implemented starting June 16.

In a statement on Monday, Dr. Jaime Bernadas, director of the Department of Health (DOH) in Central Visayas, admitted that hospitals in Cebu City were filled beyond capacity due to the rise in the number of patients with symptoms of COVID-19.

He noted that social media posts cited cases of patients who were refused admission in hospitals because they were already full.

“We have investigated these reports and established that these incidents were true,” Bernadas said.

He said private hospitals in Metro Cebu had committed to expand their capacity by an average of 30 percent.

The regional health office will augment the health-care staff to assist the expansion of these hospitals’ capacity, Bernadas said.

He said the hospitals would cater to “severe and critical” COVID-19 patients while those with mild symptoms would be cared for at the city government’s three quarantine facilities, which had a combined total of 338 beds.

DOH sending nurses

In a statement, Cebu Doctors’ Hospital (CDH) said it was grateful for the DOH promise to send interim nurses to add to its current manpower.

CDH also reported that from one pneumonia wing and two isolation centers, it added an entire floor for COVID-19 patients and opened another pneumonia wing which would increase its overall capacity by over 200 percent.

Chong Hua Hospital (CHH) said it was also preparing the resources to enable it to expand its noncritical and critical care capacity.

“Our community is seeing another rise in cases, and should this be left unchecked, we fear that this continued rise would eventually burden our local health-care system even further,” CHH said.

Cebu City Mayor Edgardo Labella said he would appeal Mr. Duterte’s decision and ask that the city be returned to the more relaxed general community quarantine.

Labella attributed the rise in COVID-19 cases to the continued massive testing as well as the backlogs in the DOH reports that were just coming out.

“We are the only local government unit in the country that is conducting massive testing,” he said in an interview with dyLA radio. “For me, the only way to fight this invisible enemy is to continue conducting massive testing, contact tracing and isolation.”

The city has tested at least 25,000 individuals, Labella said.

Hospitals swamped

He said local hospitals were “overwhelmed” by a large number of patients in recent days.

Labella said he had directed that those with mild to moderate cases be taken to quarantine facilities instead.

As of June 15, Cebu City had 1,716 COVID-19 cases, 338 in Mandaue City and 132 in Lapu-Lapu City. The 44 towns and six component cities comprising Cebu province had a total of only 269.

Bernadas said over 30 percent of the COVID-19 cases in the cities of Cebu, Mandaue and Lapu-Lapu had recovered. About 24 percent were hospitalized while more than 40 percent were in quarantine centers or in their homes.

The fatality rate was 1.08 percent, he said.

Slammer

This is so disturbing

So he waited inside the ambulance from 2 p.m. until he suffered a cardiac arrest at 10 p.m.

The ambulance and emergency room staff were unable to revive him.

A week earlier Manolita Abarquez, chair of Barangay Pardo who reportedly had pneumonia, died after at least seven hospitals refused to admit her as they were already full of patients.

enoonmai
21 hours ago, Kreole said:

Besides Cebu Doctors hospital there are several other hospitals in the near vicinity.  Why the idiot drivers waited around so long for admission is questionable.  I am still not clear why he was not immediately admitted or taken to alternative hospitals.  Was it because he had not been tested for Corvid?

There are too many unknowns but I would guess he was complaining of trouble breathing so they assumed he was positive.

The ambulance crew probably knew the other hospitals were not accepting patients as well and CHH is where they usually take foreigners so they stayed there, no other choice.

The hospital left him untreated for 8 hours and presented his friend with a bill for services of P39k after he died. Beyond stupid and heartless. 

The ambulance crew obviously cared for him. At least he had that.

• Like 3
rfm010
23 hours ago, baby43 said:

...thankful for I had travel insurance and when I got back to Australia I got a refund on money spend while at the hospital and medication, its very important if you there on holiday to have travel insurance...

Bit of a topic change but to strike while the iron is hot--  who was your insurer?  This is the first time i've heard of travel insurance actually being used, it would be good to know the name of legitimate insurers.

• Like 1
to_dave007
9 hours ago, enoonmai said:

The hospital left him untreated for 8 hours and presented his friend with a bill for services of P39k after he died. Beyond stupid and heartless. 

If I was that friend.. then when I receive the bill..  I would (maybe even politely) tell the hospital staff where to put it.  Would be one of my last deeds in favor of my friend.  A hollow victory no doubt..  but sometimes they are the best. 

• Like 4