Sign in to follow this  
Dafey

Can't View the Video

Dafey

Can't view the video...is it on Youtube?

SkyMan
2 minutes ago, Dafey said:

Can't view the video...is it on Youtube?

Maybe, I took it from fb.

• Like 1

Dafey

Yes, I know. Many members can't play FB videos on Linc. Also, because of security issues there are several who do not have FB accounts. While it is a great communication tool it's worth thinking about because of the security issues. My wife does FB to communicate with her friends, under strict guidelines from me on what she can and can't post. When I tect a friend it's on Signal. Great encryption.

• Like 2

cookie47

It's strange, I also don't have facebook (I found it wasn't for me). However I could open the post/file... How weird.... Although some posts via Facebook insist I join up,, others open???.

Sent from my MI MAX using Tapatalk

• Like 1

SkyMan
15 minutes ago, Dafey said:

Yes, I know. Many members can't play FB videos on Linc. Also, because of security issues there are several who do not have FB accounts. While it is a great communication tool it's worth thinking about because of the security issues. My wife does FB to communicate with her friends, under strict guidelines from me on what she can and can't post. When I tect a friend it's on Signal. Great encryption.

Well, I try to post a link rather than the actual video/picture to save space on LinC for less important posts.  Also, the limitation of 1.95MB often prevents actual embedding.

lamoe
8 minutes ago, SkyMan said:

Well, I try to post a link rather than the actual video/picture to save space on LinC for less important posts.  Also, the limitation of 1.95MB often prevents actual embedding.

If you trust the site - download pic  to your PC - then upload to LINC - for me many times file size greatly reduced  but not always

SkyMan
4 minutes ago, lamoe said:

If you trust the site - download pic  to your PC - then upload to LINC - for me many times file size greatly reduced  but not always

I have limited bandwidth so why d/l and u/l (using twice the bandwidth and since I've obviously already seen it, that would be 3 times) when I can move a link from wherever to LinC?

lamoe
7 minutes ago, SkyMan said:

I have limited bandwidth so why d/l and u/l (using twice the bandwidth and since I've obviously already seen it, that would be 3 times) when I can move a link from wherever to LinC?

To get around to 1.95 MB limit.

SkyMan
5 minutes ago, lamoe said:

To get around to 1.95 MB limit.

A link to a pic, however large, is a few Kb so no problem with the limit.

Salty Dog

People are talking about two different things here.

Posting of a video and posting of a photo.

Video's due to their size are almost always embedded, which is a form of linking to the video's location on the internet, like when you post a YouTube video. Another way to look at it is when you embed a video, you are hosting the video from another location by simply linking to it. The embedding code is done automatically when the forum software detects certain parameters in the posted video's url or embedding code. Occasionally a linked video will be removed from the source, but it's not too common.

On the other hand, photos should be the actual photo files attached to the post using "Drag files here to attach, or choose files...". It's always been desirable to have photos attached to the post because linked photos often disappear. LinC has hundreds if not thousands of missing photo links. This is why Paul harped on people to use the actual photo file rather than a link.

I have high speed internet (over 250 Mbps) and I often seem to have issues with watching posted FB videos. To tell you the truth, I hate it when I see one of them posted. The post's screen starts off blank and then it begins to fade in until I eventually can see the video, which most of the time is much too large, and I'm using a 28" monitor. This happens just by loading the page that one of these FB posts is on, regardless if I want to watch the video or not. It could have something to do with the complexity of the embedding code that is larger for FB videos than YouTube videos. Since FB videos are rarely original videos, it usually only takes me less than a minute to find it on YouTube and replace it with the YouTube version which seems to work much better for most members.

Note: No one has ever asked me to make the files size limit larger to accommodate recent expanded file sizes. I will look into it. 

• Like 1

SkyMan
1 hour ago, Salty Dog said:

On the other hand, photos should be the actual photo files attached to the post using "Drag files here to attach, or choose files...". It's always been desirable to have photos attached to the post because linked photos often disappear. LinC has hundreds if not thousands of missing photo links. This is why Paul harped on people to use the actual photo file rather than a link.

Most of those that disappeared are in the Jokes and Humor forum so if they get lost in a week or two, most have already seen it and so no big loss. 

Perhaps if a picture is linked, the software can pull the pic in and post it rather than the linked version?  Perhaps compressing it if necessary?

Salty Dog
3 hours ago, Salty Dog said:

Note: No one has ever asked me to make the files size limit larger to accommodate recent expanded file sizes. I will look into it. 

I've increased Elite Member's maximum storage for each submission to 10,000 kB (10 MB) per content item (post, comment, etc.)

I've increased Full Member's maximum storage for each submission to 5,000 kB (5 MB) per content item (post, comment, etc.)

All Sponsors have unlimited storage for each submission content item (post, comment, etc.)

There may still be a limit per item such as a photo or video, but there doesn't seem to be a setting where I can change it.

• Thanks 2

Salty Dog
15 hours ago, SkyMan said:

Also, the limitation of 1.95MB often prevents actual embedding.

The size limitation should never be a problem with embedded videos. 

Embedded videos are not located on the forums server. They remain on the remote server where you found them, and are accessed via a link within the embed code. They take up no more space on LinC's server than this post does.

Salty Dog
4 hours ago, SkyMan said:

Perhaps compressing it if necessary?

The forum's software already reduces the file size of a photo significantly.

This 4 MB photo was reduced to 329 KB. About 1/12th (8%) of its original size.

The photo you actually see here is only 112 KB. It's only shown as 329 KB if you click on the photo which expands the photo to its full size on the forum...

2020-06-05 09.15.35.jpg

• Like 1

SkyMan

Next time I have some construction pics to post I'll try it.  What I've been doing is uploading them to a private fb album so fb reduces them and then linking them here.

• Thanks 1