Flying to the Philippines - COVID-19 Quarantine Experience

fivestarph

What to expect on arrival at NAIA.

I received this from a friend, so have to believe it is not fake.  

Dear ALL, Thankful to the Lord that we arrived safe early this morning at NAIA T2. However, we are saddened by the ridiculous and nonsense rules which are not aligned to each other. This shows the state of our nation so we all need to keep praying for this country.

1.  All Flight Attendants are in full PPE but inside the aircraft there’s no social distancing. They kept announcing in the plane to have social distancing while none at all inside the plane as we’re all seated together and no seat apart.
  2. At the Airport no social distancing & sanitation of cart.
  3. From plane, we were ushered in a room for Covid Briefing.
  4. Done with this painful pricking nose swab test (they will make it bleed) and mouth test which made me screamed and grabbed the hand of the guy doing the test-kinda scary! (Poor guy!) the swab test was so painful.
  5. Immigration and Luggage done and then long line for another form and briefing.
  6. We can’t go home and staying in a hotel accredited by Bureau of Quarantine. (We’re at B Hotel Alabang right now). We’ll be staying here under their monitoring until we get the result which is minimum of 5 days (Not Sure yet). We’re not allowed to go out. We’re like threat to National Security so not unless we’re negative, we’re not allowed to go home. Not allowed to use the pool or gym.
  7. We can’t use our own car only designated airport taxi or shuttle service. There’s this plastic cover which separate us from the driver-amusing since we’re inhaling the same air circulating.
  8. We’re not allowed to receive visitors not unless just 1 person with valid reason.
  9. If we defy the rules, they will charge us with lawsuit and do the swab test all over as well as the quarantine period.
  10. The swab test is more than P8,000.00 each in a hospital under DOH which may give 1 day result compared to longer days. However, even if we choose that, we will still have the swab test at the airport, then the hospital so 2 test which doesn’t make sense because one can have positive and the other negative result because they are sometimes not accurate. So, what’s the point? No sense, right? Besides, we’ll still be quarantined whatever way we choose.
  11. We will pay for our hotel and food during the whole duration of our stay. Right now we’re at B Hotel Alabang and for just 7 days would cost us more than P30,000.00 , around $700-$800 dollars. So much expenses.
  12. Our hotel food are packed and will be served in our room. Instead of regular buffet, we’ll have rice bowl.
  13. The airport taxi cost a lot but they are designated by coast guard.
  14. Everyday we will check from the fb page of Bureau of Quarantine and Coast Guard to chk if our name is there. If you’re negative, your name will be posted publicly for everyone to see but if you’re positive, they’ll email you. Whatever result, we need our privacy instead of posting our name in a public site. We have our right to privacy but instead of email they’d rather post.
  15. Even the Coast Guard caused us so much stress at the airport because they don’t know the rules themselves in details so people ended up a mess in lining up.
  16. Long hours of flight and no food yet and still fixing our stay at the hotel.

So we’re under all these quarantine rules. Worst than lockdown in US and feel like we’re incarcerated. We can’t even buy food outside or anything as everything is being monitored. Anyway, pray for us and pray all will be negative and expedited result will happen. It’s kinda upsetting but we’ll just comply and have fun out of this horrendous situation in this country. Everything happens for a reason and much learning. We’ll keep everyone posted. God bless! Lunch yesterday and breakfast this morning...that’s the only food they provide while pwe night is P4,650.00  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 7
  • Sad 1
Headshot

And THAT, children, is why you let other people be the guinea pigs during this pandemic. Do NOT travel. Be content to stay wherever you are until a time comes that people are allowed to travel freely again. When things have settled down (and they will eventually), it will be OK to once again move around the world, but you don't want to become one of the characters in one of these horror stories, so don't rush it.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
papimafioso69

Great post , thanks for the info . We will wait awhile to fly back . Second wave starting in the States . Driving cross country next week . Mask in public places and drive through food . Sounds fun . Wife does has a appointment to renew her passport in early July in Chicago . Love the summer’s there , the bullets travel farther in the humidity . 

• Like 2
to_dave007
3 hours ago, Headshot said:

And THAT, children, is why you let other people be the guinea pigs during this pandemic. 

However..  we SHOULD be nice and thank the guinea pig for such a detailed post.  Wouldn't be helpful to you and I if he didn't write such a good account.

I'll stay put a while longer.

4 hours ago, fivestarph said:

I received this from a friend, so have to believe it is not fake.

What was your friends date of travel?

• Like 2
fivestarph

They arrived in NAIA on June 10 based on when I received their message.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
trthebees
5 hours ago, Headshot said:

And THAT, children, is why you let other people be the guinea pigs during this pandemic. Do NOT travel. Be content to stay wherever you are until a time comes that people are allowed to travel freely again. When things have settled down (and they will eventually), it will be OK to once again move around the world, but you don't want to become one of the characters in one of these horror stories, so don't rush it.

A good point, and thanks to the original poster for sharing the experience. Knowing some who want to travel back,  It would be good if this thread continues with any updates on international travel specifically inbound to the Philippines. Even hunting around the airline sites, government sites, newspapers etc,  it's difficult in this time of flux to find accurate information.

• Like 4
to_dave007
11 minutes ago, trthebees said:

Knowing some who want to travel back, 

I think many of us know people who want to fly IN or OUT. Knowing what to expect will be invaluable to many LINC members.. and many friends of LINC members.

• Thanks 3
Headshot
2 hours ago, to_dave007 said:

I think many of us know people who want to fly IN or OUT. Knowing what to expect will be invaluable to many LINC members.. and many friends of LINC members.

No doubt. This story does have an extremely valuable lesson. It is that those who don't have the patience to wait until the effects of the pandemic have run their course will pay dearly for their impatience. Everybody needs to learn that lesson. And you are right, it isn't just the Philippines where these things can happen. Rules change every five minutes in countries all around the world. Now is not the time to roll the dice hoping that everything will just work out for you wherever you are going. I thank the OP for bringing this story to light. I'm guessing that this story isn't the exception, but rather closer to the rule. Governments that are trying to protect their people, but don't really know how to do that, are likely to make lots of rules that end up hurting people. It is happening everywhere.

• Like 2
SkyMan
9 hours ago, Headshot said:

Be content to stay wherever you are until a time comes that people are allowed to travel freely again.

I will at least wait until we can fly out of/into Cebu Int'l.  Won't be connecting in Manila again.  It's been almost 10 years now and no reason to break that.  And if there's an arrival quarantine I can deal with that here.

• Like 2
liquido
5 hours ago, SkyMan said:

Won't be connecting in Manila again.  It's been almost 10 years now and no reason to break that. 

Amen to that 100 times.....

rizla

I would still rather have a 14 day quarantine in Cebu than stay here in the UK, costing me almost 1k USD a week for board and lodging, and still no sign of Mactan reopening for "tourists". Flights in August slowly coming back to life to Manila, not Mactan.

After 3 months self quarantine and no income, my life savings taking a huge bashing and half freezing in typical British weather, 7 days in prison in Cebu sounds pretty good to me,  7 days in a quarantine hotel would be paradise. 

• Like 4
mikewright

Thanks OP, very helpful information.

fivestarph

an update.

Hello sis, staff of Cong. AC texted yesterday that they expedited the result so when we checked the fb page of Phil. Coastguard, our names are already there among the Negative for Covid Test. So we were able to get our Quarantine certificate already...

The only difference is we can go out of the hotel now to get something outside as we’re no longer under quarantine however, food is still packed, minimal, can’t use the pool and gym and could not accept visitor as they said they’re not operational yet. Seems the govt tied up with hotel for mandatory quarantine of Filipino returnees and OWF.

Problem is lack of organized system and implementation of rules. We helped one senior citizen next door to us and same flight with us. He doesn’t know how to find out the result, doesn’t know how to screen shot the result (that’s what they want instead of sending us the email) so he’s been waiting and wondering when he can be released. So last night we chkd his result, called his daughter for instruction and finally he chkd out last night.

You can imagine how bout the rest of seniors who doesn’t know what to do...they’ll be stuck in the hotel waiting and not knowing what to do. The hotel don’t even assist. We’re the ones who even told them what should be the situation now that we’re negative for Covid.

This morning our room was cleaned and all linens changed all because we told them what should be done.

smokey

Well poor hotel will be forced to remain full

• 2 weeks later...
turbo black

question for everyone in cebu city area.coming back to cebu city {actually mandaue} on july 22 via pal airlines.noticed we have to test and then stay at an approved hotel until the results of the test come back.does anyone know which hotels on the list are decent? not too expensive lol. thank you

• Like 1