Salty Dog

Couple Builds Shipping Container Home With No Experience

Salty Dog

After years spent not knowing what to do with our lives, we have finally decided to chase what makes us happy. Inspired by our past road trips, the hippies of the seventies, and the alien, Elon Musk, we are choosing to risk everything. We are selling our traditional home, quitting our current jobs, and moving from Florida to Texas where we will build our dream debt-free net zero shipping container home.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-l69It3hxAY3tkBH_utLNQ/about

This video is a compilation of two years of videos. If you're interested, they have over 120 videos on their Youtube Channel "Life Uncontained".

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Headshot

Interesting YouTube channel. I have been watching their channel for a couple of years. They are a cute little family, and they show all of the complications that come with building a home out of shipping containers if you let the plans get out of control. There is nothing simple about their home. The shipping containers are only half of the home structure. The rest is stick-built. The channel is really about building a home off-grid using income from their YouTube videos.

Kabisay-an gid

I've heard a lot of talk from expats over the years about shipping container homes in the Philippines, but I don't know of anybody who actually owns one. It seems like an idea that just hasn't managed to gain traction and "take off". The guy who founded Kyoob was gung-ho about them, but he never managed to get the company off the ground - according to what I've read, he got in trouble with the law, and then died a few years back. I assume the company went under, they created a Facebook page back in 2014, which I don't believe was ever updated even once since then. There was some online chatter for a couple years about the prefab concrete "Wafflebox" houses, but they appear to be defunct also.

Daddle

With shipping containers you get a weatherproof shell without much effort. But all the foundation, electrical, plumbing, interior finish, windows and doors remain to be done.  Anyone who has built a home knows that getting the shell is the quick and easy part. Especially so with hollowblock walls and steel roof. 

So you think you are 90% done only to find 90% remains. Witness all the empty hollowblock dreams in the PI. Same with the ugly shipping containers.

• Like 3