Whippy (udonthani) has passed - 48 years old

Mr. Mike

RIP old boy.......

enoonmai
On 6/7/2020 at 8:21 AM, jtmwatchbiz said:

He was quite the amusing character and he had plenty of real-life in-person friends in Cebu.

Fwiw, the one time I remember him mentioning you he said you were a good guy and he liked you. He also mentioned some wild women w/tattoos. I don't recall the details.

• Haha 2
davehud

He posted a lot of useful travel information. RIP.

• Thanks 2
samatm
On 6/7/2020 at 4:16 AM, blaze pontaine said:

Apparently he passed away from cancer over a year ago. 

Kinda Sad.   Way too young.   shall we rename the forums now?   Living doesn't seem to fit anymore.     How do we know ?  Is  the  news  verifiable?    

Edited by samatm
SkyMan
2 hours ago, samatm said:

Living doesn't seem to fit anymore. 

LockedupinCebuForums?  Then it's still LinC.

Edited by SkyMan
  • Haha 1
  • Administrator
Salty Dog
10 minutes ago, SkyMan said:

LockcedupinCebuForums?  Then it's still LinC.

I think he meant Dead in Cebu Forums, as opposed to Living in Cebu Forums... :unknw:

SkyMan
4 minutes ago, Salty Dog said:

I think he meant Dead in Cebu Forums, as opposed to Living in Cebu Forums... :unknw:

Well Dying in Cebu Forums might be more accurate but I don't like DinC.

• Haha 2
enoonmai
3 hours ago, samatm said:

Kinda Sad.   Way too young.   shall we rename the forums now?   Living doesn't seem to fit anymore.     How do we know ?  Is  the  news  verifiable?    

I messaged the OP a few days ago to ask how credible this is but he hasn’t read the message. I also emailed Whippy at the email address I have and got no reply. He was also active in the Quora forums answering questions about the phils using the name David Renshav there which is also the gmail address I have for him. He went by “Crad” but no idea if that’s real. He was pretty active in the Quora forums for a couple years but all posts stopped in March, 2019 which is in line with the OP saying he passed from cancer about a year ago. He was a smoker I recall. I would say it’s a lot more likely than not it’s true until someone says otherwise.

Here’s a vintage Whippy answer to the Quora question, “What should I avoid in the Philippines?” (spelling as is)

if you’re a kano, try to at least attempt to minimise showing your beer belly. So wear a long shirt. If the shirt is too short, then in some situations the flesh of the beer belly will come out and it will get everywhee.

avoid wearing singlets where the garment has no arms UNLESS you are a basketball player. A normal t-shirt is OK, but it has to at least cover the shoulder.

if you are bald, wear a hat. Not only will this minimise the danger of sunburn, but it won’t look so bad.

sandals are OK but don’t wear socks.

hope this helps.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
jtmwatchbiz

Classic Crad. He did have a way with words :biggrin_01:

• Like 1
samatm
4 hours ago, enoonmai said:

I messaged the OP a few days ago to ask how credible this is but he hasn’t read the message. I also emailed Whippy at the email address I have and got no reply. He was also active in the Quora forums answering questions about the phils using the name David Renshav there which is also the gmail address I have for him. He went by “Crad” but no idea if that’s real. He was pretty active in the Quora forums for a couple years but all posts stopped in March, 2019 which is in line with the OP saying he passed from cancer about a year ago. He was a smoker I recall. I would say it’s a lot more likely than not it’s true until someone says otherwise.

Here’s a vintage Whippy answer to the Quora question, “What should I avoid in the Philippines?” (spelling as is)

if you’re a kano, try to at least attempt to minimise showing your beer belly. So wear a long shirt. If the shirt is too short, then in some situations the flesh of the beer belly will come out and it will get everywhee.

avoid wearing singlets where the garment has no arms UNLESS you are a basketball player. A normal t-shirt is OK, but it has to at least cover the shoulder.

if you are bald, wear a hat. Not only will this minimise the danger of sunburn, but it won’t look so bad.

sandals are OK but don’t wear socks.

hope this helps.

So we dont know his  real name?   

enoonmai
2 hours ago, samatm said:

I don't. I know he was from Sheffield, UK. The last time I saw him he was mad as hell because when he showed up to catch the plane for the annual trip to the phils the immigration guy denied his passport because it was so filthy and torn. Missed his flight. He had a FB profile and he used that quite a bit to hook up but I can't remember the name he used. 

savarity

Sorry to hear that. I didn't know he was so young, never met him, but I liked his general advice on several forums, even though most of his lodging advice wasn't for me.

• 3 months later...
A_Simple_Man
On 6/10/2020 at 7:04 AM, samatm said:

I also knew him as Crad.  He drank so much that I thought it was the drink which would kill him.  If anyone wants to be bothered to find out his real name, ask Paul Whiteway.  Paul rented him a motorcycle once and took his passport for security.  He would know for sure.

R.I.P. Whippy.  I just found out from this thread that you were gone.  Hope you found paradise.

• Thanks 1
hyaku
On 6/11/2020 at 1:09 AM, enoonmai said:

I don't. I know he was from Sheffield, UK. The last time I saw him he was mad as hell because when he showed up to catch the plane for the annual trip to the phils the immigration guy denied his passport because it was so filthy and torn. Missed his flight. He had a FB profile and he used that quite a bit to hook up but I can't remember the name he used. 

Crad Renshaw.