I'm So Old That...

Salty Dog

to_dave007

I was 4 when we immigrated to Canada.  My dad had been here for 6 months already finding work, and after getting landed we moved right away to Elliot Lake Ontario, well north of Lake Huron, home of the big uranium mine operated by Denison Mines.  I think for a while this was a major source of uranium going into the big bang toys of the US DOD.  When we got there we moved into a house trailer..  one in a long row that had ben pulled  on the hastily bulldozed ground.  I don't remember much..  but I do remember the snow..   being told to watch out for bears..  hide and go seek in the bush..  tobogganing down a big hill..  and the top bunk in the trailer.. which I apparently fell out of often.  My dad hated working underground, so after 18 months we moved south in Ontario, to farm work and eventually dad's job in the steel mill.  Years later I put myself through university with work at that same mill, and my next brother worked his entire working life at the same mill.  

Ontario was good to us.  I hope it's as good to the next couple generations.

• Like 4
  • Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Salty Dog

• lamoe

• SkyMan

• cookie47

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Rawhide on Wednesday nights right after the NBC News. That was the night my mom would get out the TV trays, and we would sit on the floor and watch TV while we ate our dinner. We got out first TV when

I think it's partly the lockdown but I'm so old I look forward to a nap.

Wish I could get some of those.  They worked fairly well.  A lot easier than trying to twist those plastic trays. I remember the coke machines that putting in the coin allowed you to open the l

Posted Images

SkyMan

image.png.b82345f4c1bf925818a234821ca6894c.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
lamoe
3 hours ago, Ozepete said:

In the 1950's before TV, listening to the serials on the wireless as kids.  Mild ones like 'Hop Harrogan, CX4 to control',   'Laugh till you cry',  'Blue Hills' etc., then there were the later night scary ones like 'Deadly Nightshade'. 'Dragnet',   'Edge of Darkness',  and 'Walk a crocked Mile'.   My bro and I would curl up in bed in the dark listening while these gripping dramas frightened the crap out of us. 

https://www.awakeatmidnight.com/31-scariest-otr/

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...
  • Administrator
Salty Dog

I'm so old that I have to scroll down to click the year I was born when I register for a website...

• Haha 1
lamoe
43 minutes ago, Salty Dog said:

I'm so old that I have to scroll down to click the year I was born when I register for a website...

I'm so old I can skip to the last page

• Haha 3
KID

I remember snow:lamoe:

Edited by KID
  • Administrator
Salty Dog

I'm so old that I can remember when you had to take a dump without a cellphone...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
HeyMike

I'm so old that I remember... um... I remember.... what were we talking about...?