I'm So Old That...

Salty Dog

SkyMan
3 hours ago, Salty Dog said:

I'm so old that this is how we use to make ice cubes...

b72893fd13f968b277acb8a946fdc13b.jpg

Wish I could get some of those.  They worked fairly well.  A lot easier than trying to twist those plastic trays.

3 hours ago, Headshot said:

a nickel soda out of the big cooler in the front of the store where you had to slide the bottles along the slots until they got to where you could remove them from the cooler.

I remember the coke machines that putting in the coin allowed you to open the little side door with six or eight options stacked in a column.  The mechanics allowed you to pull out one bottle and then when you closed the door a new one would roll into that slot.  I also liked fizzies a lot.

• Like 5
  • Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Salty Dog

• lamoe

• SkyMan

• cookie47

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Rawhide on Wednesday nights right after the NBC News. That was the night my mom would get out the TV trays, and we would sit on the floor and watch TV while we ate our dinner. We got out first TV when

I think it's partly the lockdown but I'm so old I look forward to a nap.

Wish I could get some of those.  They worked fairly well.  A lot easier than trying to twist those plastic trays. I remember the coke machines that putting in the coin allowed you to open the l

Posted Images

to_dave007
2 hours ago, Salty Dog said:

I remember as a teen in the late 1960s saying that if I could get a job making $10k a year like my father that I would be set for life.

He was a mail carrier raising 3 teenagers, owned his house (with the bank) and had 2 cars, both paid off. 

My brother has been a letter carrier in Hamilton Canada since he was 19 or 20.  House is paid for.  Good vacations.  2 kids in 20's. His Filipina wife did work though.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
cookie47
41 minutes ago, lamoe said:

tubes

I forgot this completely,,Take the cover off the back,Look for the tube that didn't light up.  Go to shop get tube,Nah still didn't work. O well

Call tech.....no TV for a couple of day's.

Back to radio drama on Wireless.haha

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
cookie47
4 hours ago, Salty Dog said:

Bonanza

An absolute staple in our house.

I've said this before on LinC, the amount of American TV in the 50/60s particularly westerns on British TV was just amazing.

• Thanks 1
lamoe

Crackerjack toys were metal.

• Like 1
Headshot
1 minute ago, cookie47 said:

An absolute staple in our house.

I've said this before on LinC, the amount of American TV in the 50/60s particularly westerns on British TV was just amazing.

Rawhide on Wednesday nights right after the NBC News. That was the night my mom would get out the TV trays, and we would sit on the floor and watch TV while we ate our dinner. We got out first TV when I was in the 2nd grade. It was black and white and the screen was more round than rectangular.

1 minute ago, lamoe said:

Crackerjack toys were metal.

Now that's where Philippine drivers licenses come from.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
cookie47
6 minutes ago, Headshot said:

Rawhide on Wednesday

Sounds like my house exactly,except we would have to draw straw's to see who would go and light the fire half an hour before it started.

• Like 2
  • Administrator
Salty Dog

This thread was started as a humorous thread,

I guess I underestimated how much old farts like to reminisce.

Looks like we share much in common from our early years.

Well, except for maybe a common language... :P

• Like 2
SkyMan

I remember sometimes getting to stay up late enough to watch Johnny's monologue.

• Like 2
lamoe
12 hours ago, SkyMan said:

I remember sometimes getting to stay up late enough to watch Johnny's monologue.

I'm so old  that being able to stay awake long enough would be a hassle.

HeyMike

I remember being the only family on the block with a color tv and all the neighborhood kids coming over to watch Batman ... in color.

I remember spending hours upon hours building model cars, monsters like Frankenstein's monster, Godzilla, creature from the black lagoon etc... just to destroy them with a bb gun or fire cracker.

I remember going to the local toy store, which was also sporting goods store, to buy tonka trucks after about a year of saving my allowance.

I remember The Twilight Zone having 1 hour episodes. 

SkyMan
32 minutes ago, HeyMike said:

I remember The Twilight Zone having 1 hour episodes.

Season 4.

Ozepete

In the 1950's before TV, listening to the serials on the wireless as kids.  Mild ones like 'Hop Harrogan, CX4 to control',   'Laugh till you cry',  'Blue Hills' etc., then there were the later night scary ones like 'Deadly Nightshade'. 'Dragnet',   'Edge of Darkness',  and 'Walk a crocked Mile'.   My bro and I would curl up in bed in the dark listening while these gripping dramas frightened the crap out of us. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Semper paratus

There wasn't any TV in the 40's. We sat at the kitchen table and listened to a radio that was on a shelf built into the wall just for a radio when they had the house built.  We didn't get a TV until 1956. My Dad thought it was just a passing fad.

• Like 1
SkyMan
Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Semper paratus said:

to a radio that was on a shelf built into the wall just for a radio when they had the house built.

Reminds me of the first house we lived in that I can remember.  '64ish?  The living room had a 'hifi' built into the wall at one end with shelves over it.  It was about the size of a console tv but without the tv in it.  You slid a panel over on the top to reveal the turntable.  I liked to smack my hands on it because it bounced on the springs.  Also fun to play with know to switch it 33, 45, 78 while it was running.  Hahahahaha  The tv (with plier control) was in the unfinished basement.

Edited by SkyMan
  • Like 2