I'm So Old That...

Salty Dog

cookie47

I'm so old that i remember the manual "choke"control" on a car.
Cold morning Scenario,,,
Not enough choke won't start
Too much choke,,,Flooded,, Wait wait,
Get to first road junction,,,,,Have to change gear and operate choke with the same hand, Engine still cold,,,,STALL...Car behind impatient..AHH, ,Thank God for technology.

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Salty Dog

• lamoe

• SkyMan

• cookie47

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Rawhide on Wednesday nights right after the NBC News. That was the night my mom would get out the TV trays, and we would sit on the floor and watch TV while we ate our dinner. We got out first TV when

I think it's partly the lockdown but I'm so old I look forward to a nap.

Wish I could get some of those.  They worked fairly well.  A lot easier than trying to twist those plastic trays. I remember the coke machines that putting in the coin allowed you to open the l

Posted Images

• Administrator
Salty Dog
22 minutes ago, Ozepete said:

No TV

I remember TVs all my life, but didn't see a color TV until I was 8-9 years old. It was owned by a friend of my father. He was an electronics geek. He also had the first microwave oven that I ever saw. Anyway, we would go over to his house to watch the only color TV show at that time, Bonanza...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Administrator
Salty Dog
8 minutes ago, cookie47 said:

I'm so old that i remember the manual "choke"control" on a car.
Cold morning Scenario,,,
Not enough choke won't start
Too much choke,,,Flooded,, Wait wait,
Get to first road junction,,,,,Have to change gear and operate choke with the same hand, Engine still cold,,,,STALL...Car behind impatient..AHH, ,Thank God for technology.

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

Never had to choke a car, but I choked my monkey... :rofl:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
cookie47

Well Well,I had a slight suspition on what you were illudiing too,but I had to confirm using the urban dictionary

:tongue_01:

• Haha 1
  • Administrator
Salty Dog

I'm so old that this is how we use to make ice cubes...

b72893fd13f968b277acb8a946fdc13b.jpg

• Like 2
Goetz1965

Im so olad that I can recall the time before the Big Bang...

cookie47
22 minutes ago, Salty Dog said:

I'm so old that this is how we use to make ice cubes.

You had a fridge,,wow.

• Haha 1
Headshot

I remember all of us kids sitting around on the floor in my grandfather's living room listening to "The Shadow" or "Mystery Theater" on the big radio while my grandmother knitted and my grandfather read his newspaper.

Remember having home-made bread and milk for dinner on many a night because that was all my grandparents could afford. My grandfather was an equipment operator for the state road department and a part-time dairy farmer.

I remember walking the borrow pits along the highway for miles with my cousins searching for soda bottles to turn in at the corner store for the one penny deposit so we could buy a sack of ten-for-a-penny and five-for-a-penny candy out of the jars on the counter. And, if we were lucky (and found lots of bottles), a nickel soda out of the big cooler in the front of the store where you had to slide the bottles along the slots until they got to where you could remove them from the cooler. Of course, we all shared the candy and the sodas.

I remember spending hours fishing from  rafts we had built down at the reservoir below my grandfather's farm or hunting anything that moved with slingshots, bows and arrows or BB guns.

I remember pitching bails of hay up to my cousins on a wooden hay trailer being pulled by my grandfather's old Ford tractor.

The world has changed around us.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Edwin
41 minutes ago, Salty Dog said:

I'm so old that this is how we use to make ice cubes...

b72893fd13f968b277acb8a946fdc13b.jpg

We knew a rich family that had those fancy ice cube trays.

• Haha 2
  • Administrator
Salty Dog

I remember as a teen in the late 1960s saying that if I could get a job making $10k a year like my father that I would be set for life.

He was a mail carrier raising 3 teenagers, owned his house (with the bank) and had 2 cars, both paid off. My mother never worked. We never took a vacation except to go visit relatives and we never ate out. We had dinner together every night. After I graduated from high school, my dad told me if I went to college he would help pay for it. If not, I would have to pay rent or move out on my own. I finished one semester of junior college and then I joined the Coast Guard. I shipped out to boot camp the first week of January. It was probably one of the smartest moves I've ever made. Turned out my draft lottery number that year was so low that I received a draft notice for the Army while I was in Coast Guard Boot Camp. I often wondered how much different my life would have been, if I had ended up in the Army instead of the Coast Guard where I spent the next 32 years...

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
to_dave007
3 hours ago, cookie47 said:

And always an argument of who was going to get up to change the TV channel.(which was obviously in black and White)

Now we argue about who gets the remote.

• Like 3
lamoe
34 minutes ago, to_dave007 said:

Now we argue about who gets the remote.

Wonder how many now have 2, 3, 4 even 5 TVs?

• Like 1
SkyMan
4 hours ago, cookie47 said:

And always an argument of who was going to get up to change the TV channel.(which was obviously in black and White)

With a pair of pliers because the knob broke years ago.

• Like 3
lamoe

Taking all the tubes out of TV - going to hardware store - testing them - buying ones indicated as bad - replacing  - POS still doesn't work most of the time.

Dad learned hard way to label the layout :sad_01:

Degaussing color TVs.

• Like 2
Paddy

I am old enough to remember season 1 of Dr Who but not old enough to remember season 1 of Coronation Street. 

Both shows B&W. One for each of the two available channels (BBC and ITV). 

• Like 1