• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Salty Dog

• cookie47

• to_dave007

• mikecon3

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Not deadly but a real nuisance... mouse plague up in the desert. There was just a sea of them and once they ate an area out they would chew everything, wiring and seats on my drill rig, dozer, cruiser

Well i'm not aussie but i once had an aussie girlfriend and that was pretty scary.

So no issues in Australia

Posted Images

• Administrator
Salty Dog
3 minutes ago, cookie47 said:

So no issues in Australia:ROFLMAO:

Funny you should say that.

The brain-eating amoeba was first identified in Australia, but is believed to have evolved in the U.S.

• Like 2
cookie47

I've SEEN many snakes but you learn very early to "leave them alone".Of course if one is in your house or car a different approach is warranted .If in a major city you normally call a local professional.
If in the country/bush/outback there's no perfect advice.
I've had one snake strike on my lower leg.
I Stopped at the managers house on the station..
I got out of a vehicle and stepped on a "brown snake". However I was lucky that it was a Saturday and I was dressed to go to town with Levi type jeans that helped stop the penetration.If on a work day I would have been wearing shorts..

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

• Thanks 2
  • Administrator
Salty Dog

When I was young I was fascinated with snake. I would pick up everyone I found. I knew what they were and that they were safe. 

Once I was driving out in the glades when I saw a small water moccasin crossing the road. This was the 1st time I'd ever seen one in the wild. I captured it and carried it back home in my GFs purse.

The only other poisonous snake I have encountered was a 5-6 ft rattlesnake. I was riding my bicycle on a dirt path in the woods when I came upon it. I was amazed at it's girth.

I still try to catch the garden variety of snakes my wife is always finding in our yard. Most are what we call Black Racers. I guess I'm getting to old and slow because more often than not, they get me instead of me getting them...:biggrin_01:

• Like 3
Ozepete
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Salty Dog said:

Funny you should say that.

The brain-eating amoeba was first identified in Australia, but is believed to have evolved in the U.S.

Yes, we starved the poor bastards out . :biggrin_01:        But wait..... Moe says it was the Chinese who bred those amoeba, he will post a video later to prove it!! :rofl:

Edited by Ozepete
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
rfm010
19 hours ago, Salty Dog said:

Oi mates, let's hear from you Aussies about your personal encounters with deadly creatures down under...

Well i'm not aussie but i once had an aussie girlfriend and that was pretty scary.

• Like 2
  • Haha 6
mikecon3

I once went to use the bathroom here in Saudi and one of these was in the toilet, about a foot long. It had come up through the pipes because the lid was down. I slammed the lid back down on it and kept flushing!

It then tried to get up through one of the floor drains, banging it’s head trying to push through. I stood on the drain for awhile and it went away…like something out of a horror movie. I had a phobia about sitting on the toilet for quite some time!

78c7b05ba5a3e954c55fe5ade3e50653.thumb.jpg.52d3aae4df02e50372c222f8ce932f92.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
to_dave007

• Like 3
to_dave007

• Like 2
to_dave007

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
Ozepete
Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, Salty Dog said:

Oi mates, let's hear from you Aussies about your personal encounters with deadly creatures down under...

Not deadly but a real nuisance... mouse plague up in the desert. There was just a sea of them and once they ate an area out they would chew everything, wiring and seats on my drill rig, dozer, cruisers etc.  At night they would chew around your finger nails and ears so you would wake up bleeding. We eventually got smart and dozed a clearing (about 3 acres) and put all the machines etc and slept there because the mice didn't like going on the clear.

Back in the camp for entertainment (and revenge) I set up a long horizontal 3/8" metal rod about an inch above a piece of flat metal. A high voltage ignition coil was connected to the rod on which we wrapped with some food goodies, and earth to the flat!

Sat back and within minutes there would be a row of mice each side munching on the rods goodies... time for lift off.. hit the switch and watch them do vertical lift offs, backwards somersaults, etc. Spectacular antics some would spring up a meter or more..   Well it does get boring out there at times!

An old uncle told us about the flour and cement dust trick and that works great but there was just too many of them. They were everywhere but suddenly the disappeared! :scratch_head:

Edited by Ozepete
  • Like 6
  • Haha 2
noddle
On 6/5/2020 at 7:12 AM, Salty Dog said:

So Aussies just tell the rest of the world this to keep us from moving there and mucking things up...

ohhhh, they forgot the cute little blue ring octopus...  so cute to play with.....

• Like 1
to_dave007

On a serious note...

"A 3m (10ft) great white shark has killed a surfer in northern New South Wales, police in the Australian state have said.

The shark bit the leg of the surfer, aged between 50 and 60, off Kingscliff, 800km (500 miles) north of Sydney.

Several "heroic" boarders tried to help the man by fighting off the shark but although he was brought to the beach, he died there of his wounds.

This is the third fatal shark attack in Australian waters this year."

Full story here... https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-52953795

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
Captain Camiguin
On 6/5/2020 at 7:06 AM, cookie47 said:

Haa haaaa,,Yes I think ours are more stealthy just waiting quietly and patient to get ya,,, turn up in ya bed,,, like 170 species of snake with 100 being venomous, and Sydney's funnel web spider.....AND,,Not forgetting the redback spider(cousin of the black widow) that likes living under the toilet seat.

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

Mi frund say to me yuo go Australia dangerous much drop bear fall frum th tree suk de bloods frum yur neck yu die kaput, an he say is tree turtle live th tree sit th fork tree spit th posuin in yu eyes make a yu go silly n hed go walky n circles roun n roun u fall dead n to he say biga crab same 200 ltr barrul  eat yu chop chop he say me crab  cumes dark tims eat th car wheel frums th car, him say crab eat hims dogs hims eats hims cow n hurses ebin eats hims kang a ruus me say 2 hims me nu go Australia he say jully good ,,wot jully good mean ??

• Like 1
Captain Camiguin

Is th kangaruu eats peeples ? Mi frund say Australia no sleps in th jungles coz kagaruus eat yu ? Is tru yes ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1