Jump to content
Kreole

Big Problem

Recommended Posts

Kreole
Posted (edited)

I am increasingly becoming uncomfortable with the situation here in the Philippines.  I have been living in the RP for 10 years on a tourist visa which means every 2 months I have to update and every 36 months I have to leave the country.  As an American I have no desire or need to return to the US, but my 36 months will expire in September and I must leave the RP.  Normally, I would go to a close SE Asian country.  However, it seems that once I leave, I will not be able to return because the RP has now banned foreign tourists. 

In addition, even if I was able to return there would be a quarantine period of 2 weeks when I would be imprisoned in some shit hotel, not of my choosing.  To complicate matters further, all inter island travel has been indefinitely suspended, so it would be impossible to get back to Siquijor even if I had managed to get off the island to travel to Cebu in order to leave the country.

I would apply for a residence visa except that I do not qualify since my SS is below the $1,000 per month requirement.  I can prove that I have income that far exceeds that, but I am led to understand that I still would not be allowed.  So, it looks like all reasonable options have been excluded.  Unless, some member of this forum has another reasonable option, it looks like it will be adios, amigos.  Although I am not married to a Filipina, I still have dependents here since I have been adopting abandoned kittens and dogs over the years.  I currently have 13 cats and 3 dogs which require daily care.  There will be no options for them once I am gone.  These animals are literally the only family that I have, so their loss would be emotionally profound.

I have been told that the quarantine within the Phlippines has been extended until June 15, and very likely will be further extended as more virus deaths are reported, so this makes it impossible to make any plans where transportation is required.  I can't even get to Cebu for much needed dental and medical care as well as medications, so I do not see much hope in this situation.

Edited by Kreole

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
lamoe
Posted (edited)
44 minutes ago, Kreole said:

I am increasingly becoming uncomfortable with the situation here in the Philippines.  I have been living in the RP for 10 years on a tourist visa which means every 2 months I have to update and every 36 months I have to leave the country.  As an American I have no desire or need to return to the US, but my 36 months will expire in September and I must leave the RP.  Normally, I would go to a close SE Asian country.  However, it seems that once I leave, I will not be able to return because the RP has now banned foreign tourists. 

In addition, even if I was able to return there would be a quarantine period of 2 weeks when I would be imprisoned in some shit hotel, not of my choosing.  To complicate matters further, all inter island travel has been indefinitely suspended, so it would be impossible to get back to Siquijor even if I had managed to get off the island to travel to Cebu in order to leave the country.

I would apply for a residence visa except that I do not qualify since my SS is below the $1,000 per month requirement.  I can prove that I have income that far exceeds that, but I am led to understand that I still would not be allowed.  So, it looks like all reasonable options have been excluded.  Unless, some member of this forum has another reasonable option, it looks like it will be adios, amigos.  Although I am not married to a Filipina, I still have dependents here since I have been adopting abandoned kittens and dogs over the years.  I currently have 13 cats and 3 dogs which require daily care.  There will be no options for them once I am gone.  These animals are literally the only family that I have, so their loss would be emotionally profound.

I have been told that the quarantine within the Phlippines has been extended until June 15, and very likely will be further extended as more virus deaths are reported, so this makes it impossible to make any plans where transportation is required.  I can't even get to Cebu for much needed dental and medical care as well as medications, so I do not see much hope in this situation.

You have 30 days after quarantine lifted to extend visa - .

"General Community Quarantine (GCQ) starting on Monday, June 1, 2020."

My visa is for 6 months - American also

Edited by lamoe

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Salty Dog

You've made some assumptions that might not be true or at least not so by September...

14 minutes ago, Kreole said:

I am increasingly becoming uncomfortable with the situation here in the Philippines.  I have been living in the RP for 10 years on a tourist visa which means every 2 months I have to update and every 36 months I have to leave the country.  As an American I have no desire or need to return to the US, but my 36 months will expire in September and I must leave the RP.  Normally, I would go to a close SE Asian country.  However, it seems that once I leave, I will not be able to return because the RP has now banned foreign tourists. 

In addition, even if I was able to return there would be a quarantine period of 2 weeks when I would be imprisoned in some shit hotel, not of my choosing.  To complicate matters further, all inter island travel has been indefinitely suspended, so it would be impossible to get back to Siquijor even if I had managed to get off the island to travel to Cebu in order to leave the country.

I would apply for a residence visa except that I do not qualify since my SS is below the $1,000 per month requirement.  I can prove that I have income that far exceeds that, but I am led to understand that I still would not be allowed.  So, it looks like all reasonable options have been excluded.  Unless, some member of this forum has another reasonable option, it looks like it will be adios, amigos.  Although I am not married to a Filipina, I still have dependents here since I have been adopting abandoned kittens and dogs over the years.  I currently have 13 cats and 3 dogs which require daily care.  There will be no options for them once I am gone.  These animals are literally the only family that I have, so their loss would be emotionally profound.

I have been told that the quarantine within the Phlippines has been extended until June 15, and very likely will be further extended as more virus deaths are reported, so this makes it impossible to make any plans where transportation is required.  I can't even get to Cebu for much needed dental and medical care as well as medications, so I do not see much hope in this situation.

You can get 6 month extensions, instead of 2 months.

I haven't heard that the Philippines has permanently banned foreign tourists.

I don't think the quarantine requirement will be permanent either.

Quote

SRRV Classic, the SRR Visa deposit is as follows: As long as you are 50 years or older, the visa requires you to deposit into a bank in the Philippines either $10,000 if you have a guaranteed monthly income of at least $800, or $20,000 if you don't have a regular stipend. https://pra.gov.ph/

 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Goetz1965

Mine ends in October and I face the same problem.
Thats why I decided to go for the SRRV Classic and pay the 20K US$.

Minimum Pension for the SRRV Classic is 800US$ is you deposit 10K US$

Also SRRV Human touch "only" is 10K when you have medical needs.

SRRVISA Program Inquiry.pdf

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
yingy52

Philippine retirement authority (pra):  if you are trying to live in the philippines using a tourist visa, you should take a close look at pra... Qualifications for the srrv expanded courtesy visa:  foreign national over 50 years old, retired with a dd form 214 and a monthly pension of over $1,000.00... If you meet those qualifications, come by our rao to start the process... If you are out of the country, should obtain a police report before you arrive in the philippines or if here over 5 yrs, obtain an nbi report... This is an easy and short process plus pra has people that will help you from day one until you obtain your pra card... Once you have the pra card, you can forget about immigration/permanent residence requirements and travel in and out of the country anytime you like... Great program... Cost:  $1,400.00 application fee and $1,500.00 bank deposit which is refundable...


This is what I have.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
to_dave007

Or (perish the thought) you could marry a Filipina.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
BossHog
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Kreole said:

I currently have 13 cats

I hope to God you don't keep thirteen outdoor cats. They're a serious menace to the native wildlife. I'd consider it a deportable offense right there. If you need cats for some reason here, never ever let them outdoors.

As for the visa, you need to contact the BI. Certain of their offices are very helpful and will accommodate your situation.

Edited by BossHog
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dafey

@Kreole, did you build a house to live in here? Even though you only lease the land I believe the house may reflect a large enough investment to satisfy the SRRV in lieu of a bank account...maybe 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Paddy

DF57CE8B-2B84-465B-92E4-DDE4452FE81E.thumb.png.836a4d1c1813c1962f50822e75d4256e.png

Sorry - it’s not as clear as I’d hoped. 
 

From this advisory, an SRRV holder will not be admitted to the Philippines based on the content of DFA Circular 29-2020. 

The 2nd last sentence of the highlighted area says that PRA have requested that SRRV holders be treated as permanent residents. 


However, there has not yet been, to my knowledge, an update to say that other departments agree. Also, I have not seen anything that changes the content of DFA Circular 29-2020. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kreole
4 hours ago, Dafey said:

@Kreole, did you build a house to live in here? Even though you only lease the land I believe the house may reflect a large enough investment to satisfy the SRRV in lieu of a bank account...maybe 

I lease a cottage long term, although there is no defined time frame beyond year to year.  I would prefer putting $20k in a bank account to paying it toward a long term lease.  Us foreigners have absolutely no rights here in the RP if a landlord decided to take the money and then terminate the lease.  Even if the foreigner won a judgment, they would never see their money again and the landlord could make the place uninhabitable at will.  There are no protections.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kreole
3 hours ago, Paddy said:

DF57CE8B-2B84-465B-92E4-DDE4452FE81E.thumb.png.836a4d1c1813c1962f50822e75d4256e.png

Sorry - it’s not as clear as I’d hoped. 
 

From this advisory, an SRRV holder will not be admitted to the Philippines based on the content of DFA Circular 29-2020. 

The 2nd last sentence of the highlighted area says that PRA have requested that SRRV holders be treated as permanent residents. 


However, there has not yet been, to my knowledge, an update to say that other departments agree. Also, I have not seen anything that changes the content of DFA Circular 29-2020. 

So, the conclusion being that an SRRV is no guarantee of being able to reenter the country after a visa run.  My situation is as follows:

In September my visa will expire after being here for 36 months, so I will be required to leave the country.

I have already obtained (2) 6 month visa extensions which is the limit, so I am not eligible for another.

At this point I am at a loss as to what to do.  Otherwise I will be required to leave the RP and not return until the quarantine restrictions are lifted.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dafey

With an SRRV you won’t have to leave the country for a visa run.

I hope that by September things will open up again. Tourism is a major income here and the government wants to get that back.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
liquido
2 hours ago, Dafey said:

I hope that by September things will open up again. Tourism is a major income here and the government wants to get that back.

Hoping your right or before September..Did you have any inside scoop about that month or just hopeful?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dafey

Well, they are pretty adamant about starting school in August. Here they are saying that they will school electronically at home but probably only 10% of the kids have a computer or even internet at home. Can’t see how they’ll do it without a classroom.

If kids are going to school I guess the rest of the country will start opening up.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But I could be wrong


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Paddy
3 hours ago, Dafey said:

With an SRRV you won’t have to leave the country for a visa run.

Correct and the time between now and September should be sufficient to get the SRRV. 

I also agree with the point about the schools - especially the Universities with out of Province students. Enrolment for the next semester is around July 27 I believe with an August start. All other things being equal travel within the Philippines should resume by then.
 

As far as foreigner travel into the Philippines is concerned, that’s anyone’s guess at this point. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Goetz1965

I just read in the news that Sri Lanka and Greece will start opening their tourist business soon, so there will be destinations I suppose.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Salty Dog

If your looking for another tropical place to live where you can stretch your dollars. Give Panama a look...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Headshot
4 hours ago, Salty Dog said:

If your looking for another tropical place to live where you can stretch your dollars. Give Panama a look...

And Panama has lifted its quarantines.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dafey
5 hours ago, Salty Dog said:

If your looking for another tropical place to live where you can stretch your dollars. Give Panama a look...

Dominican Republic. They have lots of cats there and you can own land!

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kreole

Thanks for all the suggestions, but I would like to resolve my current problem.  I realize I have other destination options, but that is not what I am looking for, although, in the end, this is what I may have to consider.  I welcome any new insights or options.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Goetz1965
Posted (edited)

If you only dont want to go back to USA Mainland than you still have nearer options
 

American Samoa
Guam 
Northern Mariana Islands

United-States-Exclusive-Economic-Zone-EEZ-in-dark-blue-After-2.jpg

Edited by Goetz1965

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Salty Dog
55 minutes ago, Goetz1965 said:

American Samoa
Guam 
Northern Mariana Islands

All much higher cost of living than the Philippines though.

He said his Social Security was less than $1,000 a month.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
lamoe
On 5/31/2020 at 3:18 AM, Kreole said:

I would apply for a residence visa except that I do not qualify since my SS is below the $1,000 per month requirement.  I can prove that I have income that far exceeds that, but I am led to understand that I still would not be allowed.

If net income substantially exceeds $1,000 / month then 6 month visas for 3 years and cheap day trip is viable?

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SkyMan
4 hours ago, lamoe said:

If net income substantially exceeds $1,000 / month then 6 month visas for 3 years and cheap day trip is viable?

Sure, under normal circumstances but at the moment that cheap day trip would be a 1 way,

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
papimafioso69
19 hours ago, Dafey said:

Dominican Republic. They have lots of cats there and you can own land!

The last time I was in the D R . My electric bill was almost as much as my rent . On 1000 a month you might look at Cambodia maybe Vietnam.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Sailfish Bay Fishing Charters

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy and Guidelines. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..