Ref repair or replace?

SkyMan

My ref got the virus and died.  Well, it's not completely dead.  The freezer still seems fine but the fridge barely cools and we've got food going bad.  Anyway, it's a Panasonic, seems like I remember it was 9-10 ft^3? and not frost free.  I know little about refs so does anyone have any idea what I might do to fix it?  Hiring someone who probably knows less than I do about it or hauling it some place seems like a waste of money.  

Baring a fairly easy fix, does anyone know a good place to buy a new one that I can get to?  I'd like frost free and the same size or a little larger but but I don't need a full residential ref.  I can get to SM Lacion and I saw in the back of the appliance store, 1 full sized ref and that was it.  Seems like all the rest of the appliance places are in Mandaue/CC and I doubt I can get to there.  I've also looked on Lazada but I don't know if they are delivering yet and I imagine a ref would go by ninja van so it might be months before it arrives.  There also seem to be a lot of scams on Lazada now.  I saw a very nice full sized Samsung they wanted p25k.  The same model US price is about $1500.  I'm thinking this is bs.

So, any help appreciated.

• Like 1
lamoe
Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, SkyMan said:

My ref got the virus and died.  Well, it's not completely dead.  The freezer still seems fine but the fridge barely cools and we've got food going bad.  Anyway, it's a Panasonic, seems like I remember it was 9-10 ft^3? and not frost free.  I know little about refs so does anyone have any idea what I might do to fix it?  Hiring someone who probably knows less than I do about it or hauling it some place seems like a waste of money.  

Baring a fairly easy fix, does anyone know a good place to buy a new one that I can get to?  I'd like frost free and the same size or a little larger but but I don't need a full residential ref.  I can get to SM Lacion and I saw in the back of the appliance store, 1 full sized ref and that was it.  Seems like all the rest of the appliance places are in Mandaue/CC and I doubt I can get to there.  I've also looked on Lazada but I don't know if they are delivering yet and I imagine a ref would go by ninja van so it might be months before it arrives.  There also seem to be a lot of scams on Lazada now.  I saw a very nice full sized Samsung they wanted p25k.  The same model US price is about $1500.  I'm thinking this is bs.

Try cleaning the condenser cooling coils

https://www.bobvila.com/articles/how-to-clean-refrigerator-coils/

Edited by lamoe
  • Like 1
BossHog
Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, SkyMan said:

The same model US price is about $1500.  I'm thinking this is bs.

There is so much fake stuff on Lazada. Some of it is so obvious you know what you're getting. Other items, even on the branded LazMall and full price, are also fakes. A big ticket item should be purchased at a reputable store.

As for the ref: We had a Condura of about the size you're describing. Stopped working completely and we were using it as storage. My Aussie mate who's a refrigeration pro came and looked at it. Turns out it was just a relay switch which we bought for 114 pesos and it works great now. And we were about to scrap it!

My advice would be to find an Aussie guy. They seem to really know their refrigeration. I can think of three experts on this site alone. They accept beer as payment, lol.

Edited by BossHog
  • Like 2
Ozepete
13 minutes ago, SkyMan said:

The symptoms described indicate a loss of refrigerant and that means it has a gas leak. 

To explain:  Cyclic refrigerator systems have the gas feeding the freezer evaporator coils first then finally to the fridge evaporator coil. When a leak lowers the normal gas charge the first thing to 'miss out' is the fridge area. The problem is that the leak is most likely in the aluminium evaporator tubing where it is normally wet or frosted and once some gas is lost the leak usually allows moisture to be sucked into the system and that is major.  You could get it repaired but unlikely to be successful long term. I would suggest moving it to your tool shed as a handy storage bin for bits and pieces and buy a new one. BTW frost free is nice but uses much more power.  Cheers

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
SkyMan
Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, BossHog said:

As for the ref: We had a Condura of about the size you're describing. Stopped working completely and we were using it as storage. My Aussie HVAC mate came and looked at it. Turns out it was just a relay switch which we bought for 114 pesos and it works great now.

Any chance that switch was inside the ref?  I think the light bulb burned out about the same time it stopped working but I have no idea if the 2 are related.  The bulb is on the back of the box that has the temp control on the front.  That temp control has never worked very well either.  Even turned all the way down we got ice in the back below the freezer.

Fixing it would be great if cheap and not too difficult.  If I can get a couple more years out of it we'll put a full ref in the new house.

Edited by SkyMan
lamoe

Forgone to mention - defrost regularly - frost in freezer degrades cooling  efficiency.

cookie47

Have to agree with Ozepete,Had exactly the same symptoms in Australia.

Freezer seemed ? Ok ,,,Fridge struggling.

Got a tech in,,,Took to workshop,found leak,,(I could see new braised joints on its return)....

Went ok for a year or so,,Then the Mrs wanted a new one.

BTW, We bought a new Panasonic Up side down fridge 400 litres I think (it's nearly 6 foot high) from SM Mabolo.....BIG Sticker on front.. Japanese Quality..... So your mind thinks made in Japan ,,,,,Nah,, when behind the fridge some months later... Assembled in Thailand. It doesn't matter it goes like a rocket.but I was a bit p1....ssed..for about 5 minutes haha.

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

• Like 1
SkyMan
3 hours ago, Ozepete said:

BTW frost free is nice but uses much more power.  Cheers

Thanks for the info.  When you say much more do you care to guess a percentage?  If less than twice I'd probably be ok with that.

lamoe
23 minutes ago, SkyMan said:

Thanks for the info.  When you say much more do you care to guess a percentage?  If less than twice I'd probably be ok with that.

Depends on age - old models up to 60% more - also how often you open it and how full - mostly empty cost more to operate.

https://michaelbluejay.com/electricity/refrigerators.html